Windows 10: Search not functioning properly

Discus and support Search not functioning properly in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; when one searches for a file on the desktop no results are found except when srarching 'documents' , Windows 10 pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by J PHamlin, Feb 29, 2020.

1. J PHamlin Win User

Search not functioning properly

when one searches for a file on the desktop no results are found except when srarching 'documents' , Windows 10 pro

:)

J PHamlin, Feb 29, 2020
  2. MattCorey Win User

My search is not functioning

1. Use the shortcut Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager.
    2. If you see only a handful programs listed by it click on the "more details" link.
    3. Locate "Cortana" under background processes.
    4. Right-click on the process and select "end task" from the context menu.
    The Cortana process is reloaded right away by the operating system.

i strongly suggest u to follow step by step fix with pictures on https://geeksadvice.com/fix-windows-search-not-working/

MattCorey, Feb 29, 2020
  3. Search function not working properly

Hi Kelvin,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: If you are facing problem in searching then
    I suggest you to run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter
    as below and check if it helps.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.
    • Run the Troubleshooter as per on-screen instruction.

Method 2: I suggest you to check whether the Windows search service is set automatic or not as below and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows + R run command and type
    Services. MSc.

2. Check for
    Windows Search. Right click on the service, you will get
    Properties option.

3. In properties set the status asAutomatic and
    clickOK.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Feb 29, 2020
  4. ginGammel Win User

Search function in Win10

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but as I stated in my previous message, I whitnessed this behaviour on various machines. Can you confirm that the search function works fine on your PC when repeating the same steps I described?

ginGammel, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Search not functioning properly - Similar Threads - Search functioning properly

2. Search function does not work properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function does not work properly: When I use the search function from the start menù it shows only a tiny fractions of all the result. It is completely broken. In particular it seems impossible to search in the C:/Program Files.How can I solve? I don't have any directory in the "exception"part, I don't have...
  3. Search function does not work properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search function does not work properly: When I use the search function from the start menù it shows only a tiny fractions of all the result. It is completely broken. In particular it seems impossible to search in the C:/Program Files.How can I solve? I don't have any directory in the "exception"part, I don't have...
  4. F11 not functioning properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    F11 not functioning properly: Hi all, I only noticed it last night but whenever I'm in an application like edge or chrome, and press f11 to go fullscreen, it doesn't work. It instead opens a right-click menu i.e. with "emoji", "cut", "copy", "paste" and focuses on the url bar. When I press f11 outside of...
  5. Pc not functioning properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc not functioning properly: After resetting my pc due to it being too slow , it takes around 10 minutes for it to "Prepare windows" , the taskbar is missing , except for desktop and this pc , files like download , videos , pictures is gone. The wallpaper is gone too. If I try to open settings it says...
  6. Pc not functioning properly

Pc not functioning properly: After resetting my pc due to it being too slow , it takes around 10 minutes for it to "Prepare windows" , the taskbar is missing , except for desktop and this pc , files like download , videos , pictures is gone. The wallpaper is gone too. If I try to open settings it says...
  7. Cortana, Search, and MS Store aren't functioning properly

in Cortana
    Cortana, Search, and MS Store aren't functioning properly: Window 10 Observed behaviors:Cortana crashes immediately upon opening.Search crashes immediately upon opening, Both from the taskbar as well as File Explorer.Store opens, will search for apps, but crashes when I try to access one.I've been through every commonly known repair...
  8. Cortana, Search, and MS Store aren't functioning properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana, Search, and MS Store aren't functioning properly: Window 10 Observed behaviors:Cortana crashes immediately upon opening.Search crashes immediately upon opening, Both from the taskbar as well as File Explorer.Store opens, will search for apps, but crashes when I try to access one.I've been through every commonly known repair...
  9. Cortana, Search, and MS Store aren't functioning properly

10. Oulook Not Functioning Properly - No

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Oulook Not Functioning Properly - No: Outlook suddenly started misbehaving and would not start at all. First error message:... [img] Nothing I could do to get rid of it, so eventually uninstalled Office 365 and reinstalledfrom scratch. ((NOT actually from scratch, since when the new installation was...