Windows 10: Search not working after each new security update

Discus and support Search not working after each new security update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been having a problem with Windows 10 each time I update windows from the KB5003173 update. After updating, I lost the search function on Windows.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by leixet, Aug 18, 2021.

1. leixet Win User

Search not working after each new security update

I've been having a problem with Windows 10 each time I update windows from the KB5003173 update. After updating, I lost the search function on Windows. Everywhere. On the taskbar, where I'm using this feature the most, for running apps only by clicking the "Windows" logo, and typing the first letters of the app. Also, on the file explorer windows: if I click on the search bar, in the top right corner, it becomes gray and freezes some seconds. Not possible to type anything in there. There are some more errors I cannot remember right now, involving problems with previewing images with the Phot

:)

leixet, Aug 18, 2021

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Aug 18, 2021
  3. Can't find "Windows Update" on Search

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Let's try to follow these methods, mentioned below:

Method 1:

If issue persist, I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.

• Restart the computer.
    Try to refer to the below link:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

If the issue still persists, follow the Method 2.

Method 2:

Step 1:

1. Type Settings in the Search bar on Windows 10, then go to Update & security option.

2. In the Update & security Window, go to Windows Update option.

Step 2:

• Type Windows update in the Search bar on Windows 10, then go to Windows update settings or Check for updates.

Step 3:

• Type update in the Search bar on Windows 10, then go to Check for updates.
    Step 4:

1. Click on Windows key+ I, then Settings Window will open on Windows 10, then go to Update & security option.

2. In the Update & security Window, go to Windows Update option.

Hope this information helps you. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue, so that we can assist you further.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Aug 18, 2021
  4. erpguy53 Win User

FIXED!! Windows 7 sp1 never ends searching for updates

need KB4048970 if using Vista - that's the latest win32k.sys patch. while it's listed for Windows Server 2008 only, it should also install & work under Vista SP2 as I've tested myself on an old Vista machine.

for Win7 SP1, KB3172605 or better to speed up Windows Update searches as noted here:
    Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution

erpguy53, Aug 18, 2021
Thema:

1. Search not working after each new security update - Similar Threads - Search working each

2. Windows 10 Search Not Working After Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Search Not Working After Update: After the most recent Windows Update, the search button doesn't seem to work. It keeps loading, and then crashes again. Any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-not-working-after-update/a08a09b6-0708-4ff5-8543-21602daa8905
  3. Windows 10 Search Not Working After Update

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Not Working After Update: After the most recent Windows Update, the search button doesn't seem to work. It keeps loading, and then crashes again. Any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-not-working-after-update/a08a09b6-0708-4ff5-8543-21602daa8905
  4. Anxiety after each update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Anxiety after each update: Hi, I am suffering of a new disease. When I see the word Update appearing at the screen, I know that my computer will have trouble. The usual trouble is: no more camera. Now I know how to solve it, since I received an answer. Again today my camera was unable to...
  5. After Windows Update Search not working

in Cortana
    After Windows Update Search not working: Hello one and all, I had a WINDOWS Update last night and this morning, first, all my Most Used Apps have disappeared. When I try to type an APP name in the search bar, it doesn't work. I'm hoping someone can give me the solution. Thanks....
  6. Windows Security turns on after each restart

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security turns on after each restart: I have all the sliders in windows defender turned off, but ANYTIME I restart my computer, the first slider real-time protection turns on. I don't even click on the "turn on security" or whatever notification, but it always turns on. Is this an intended feature? Is there...
  7. Security camera not working after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security camera not working after update: After recent windows update, I can not access my security camera application anymore. App network times out but all other apps I see are working fine & I am connected to the network fine as far as I can tell. Software company says it's my computer from the update. What do I...
  8. Search not working after the 2004 update

in Cortana
    Search not working after the 2004 update: I installed the 2004 update from the settings app, and having done that, the search option has simply stopped working. I tried resetting it with the PowerShell script, to no avail. The Windows troubleshooter and the sfc /scannow command cannot find any problems, but the...
  9. New Security PopUp after v1903 update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New Security PopUp after v1903 update: After updating to v1903, I get a security warning pop up, "Do you want to open this file" on photos downloaded from internet. I did not get this popup under the prior version. Obviously, I scan files when downloading and I don't mind on exe's, etc. But how do I disable...
  10. After new update, search don't work (system restore, update)

in Windows 10 Support
    After new update, search don't work (system restore, update): So I just completed the big spring update (didn't have any choice really) and now a whole bunch of stuff has changed with the new additions. One thing right away that's annoying me is when I type in the search box next to the start button, Windows can no longer seem to find...