Windows 10: Search not working on external hard disk

Discus and support Search not working on external hard disk in Cortana to solve the problem; All my files are visible in (and are opening from) the file explorer window on my external hard drive. [ATTACH] But when I try to search for a file... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by PrabhuMP, Nov 9, 2019.

1. PrabhuMP Win User

Search not working on external hard disk

All my files are visible in (and are opening from) the file explorer window on my external hard drive.

Search not working on external hard disk d6de52e5-260d-452d-83b4-991285dac02b?upload=true.jpg

But when I try to search for a file (even when I can see it) from the search box of file explorer window, it says "No items match your search".

Search not working on external hard disk 3141c111-d2ac-45cc-83f9-e70e28a7dca4?upload=true.jpg

But search works fine with files in internal hard disk. I have indexed the internal and external drives (although I know that it is not necessary for search to work).

:)

PrabhuMP, Nov 9, 2019

2. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Nov 9, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Nov 9, 2019
  4. Search not working on external hard disk

external hard disk recognition

external hard disk is listed in device manager but I cannot access the disk etc

IanMacArthur, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

Search not working on external hard disk

1. Search not working on external hard disk - Similar Threads - Search working external

2. External hard disk is not working in windowd 10 computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard disk is not working in windowd 10 computer: I have my old laptop hard disk & that I am connecting to my new windows 10 hp laptop via sata cable. Even after connecting to laptop it does not recognizing. Same thing I did with another laptop over there its working fine.How can I fix this issue? I have updated drivers as...
  3. The device is not ready external hard disk

The device is not ready external hard disk: Hello, i just bought a new external hard disk. It's a enclosure hard disk, i'm using Kingston A400 SSD 240gb. But somehow it can be initialized. I tried to initialized a lot of times and it says the device is not ready. I tried uninstall a few times and reboot but still same...
  4. Format my external hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Format my external hard disk: Hello guys, I have changed my laptop's hard disk from its original one (HDD) to a SSD and now I want to use the HDD as an external disk for save lots of datas. The problem is that the whole old windows is still on the HDD disk, which means there are still the local disks C,...
  5. Searching tags on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching tags on external hard drive: I normally add tags to files & use them to search specific files when required. Off late I am able to do this for files on my system but if I search files stored on an external hard drive nothing comes up in the search. Is there a way to search tags used in files stored on...
  6. External Hard drive disk

External Hard drive disk: Shown as access denied. Location unavailable[IMG] Cannot open my Seagate external HARD drive disk of 1.5TB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-disk/d12073f2-eb0d-4add-bfb1-2f9e4cff21de
  7. External hard disk with errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External hard disk with errors: [ATTACH][ATTACH]Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external 500GB hard drive and I have errors on it. I checked it with hdd tune and crystal disk Info and it shows me errors. I'll get you a script and maybe tell me what I need to do to fix it. Wait for response! Thank you! A...
  8. External hard disk encryption

External hard disk encryption: Hello I have an encrypted seagate external hard disk by bitlocker. couple of weeks ago my window 10 updated and it's showing error password is incorrect , even though I have not changed it. I have tried recovery key it says same for it. Have tried installing and...
  9. External Hard Disk Problem

External Hard Disk Problem: Whenever i insert my hard disk, my laptop can't detect it. only "expansion" icon appears. the cable is fine. i tried troubleshoot, no problem detected. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] how to fix this?...
  10. external hard disk

external hard disk: external hard disk is not displaying n even not located also https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-disk/62353490-2070-486b-a356-a179ff281d28