Windows 10: Search on Task Bar Broken

Discus and support Search on Task Bar Broken in Cortana to solve the problem; So I see this is becoming a common problem, and I can safely say I've tried almost everything to fix it. The problem is I can type into the search on... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Al_Lounsbury, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Search on Task Bar Broken

So I see this is becoming a common problem, and I can safely say I've tried almost everything to fix it. The problem is I can type into the search on the task bar, but all that I see is a grey box with no results, which makes finding my fav programs very tough indeed. Thankfully I can scroll through the start menu to find the program and windows explorer search works fine.

Now if I create a new admin account, the search task bar works again, so this points to a corrupted/problematic user profile of some type but literally everything works except this windows 10 search task bar, so hoping someone knows where this corruption/problem exists so I can fix it, rather than creating a whole new account and moving everything to the new user account including all my managed windows credentials.

Would be nice if there was a way to simply remove the aspect that affects the search bar from the user profile and rebuild that aspect only. Hopefully a simple deletion of a few user keys in the registry?

Does anyone have any suggestions outside of the normal DISM, sfc, search troubleshooter, reboot, etc which I have all done to no avail. I also tried to restore to an earlier point in time when everything worked, but alas - the system restore failed which is a different problem.

Otherwise, I need to move over 1 TB of user data to the new profile - ugh!

So fingers crossed and listening.

Thanks Al

:)

Al_Lounsbury, Aug 13, 2019

2. search does not work in task bar. DOES work in File Explorer

Task bar search does not work and I have tried all of the recommended steps. Had to recently reinstall Windows 10 64b (preserved personal data) and the search has not worked since.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thx

John Vacheresse, Aug 13, 2019
  3. Cannot modify Task Bar settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if the issue persists.

• Right click on the Task Bar.
    • Uncheck the option " Lock the Taskbar."

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Aug 13, 2019
  4. Search on Task Bar Broken

Search Bar/Cortana

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

From the description, I understand that you are still receiving the pop up notifications, despite having disabled the search functionality in windows 10.

Steps to disable the Search Bar

• Right click on the task bar.
    • Select the "Search" option.
    • Select "Disable."
    However, if the above steps don't work out, perform the below suggested steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Open a CMD window started as Administrator.

Repair corruption: Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Run this command next: Sfc /scannow

Now run these two commands:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope the above information was helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 13, 2019
Thema:

Search on Task Bar Broken

1. Search on Task Bar Broken - Similar Threads - Search Task Bar

2. The task bar is broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The task bar is broken: Hey, what's up with the windows 11 taskbar.It doesn't show any apps,the search bar or the windows button. It's just blank. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-task-bar-is-broken/8788eef7-b2b2-4aba-8718-cf4744163ae7
  3. The task bar is broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The task bar is broken: Hey, what's up with the windows 11 taskbar.It doesn't show any apps,the search bar or the windows button. It's just blank. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-task-bar-is-broken/8788eef7-b2b2-4aba-8718-cf4744163ae7
  4. search bar broken?

search bar broken?: So when I change tabs, the search tab opens and closes around two, and then it goes back to normal.This is the video link thank you for your help.I use opera gx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-broken/f2bfcc23-b57a-43ea-ba35-ef28d0f3c7a4
  5. Broken search bar

Broken search bar: My search bar doesn't work every time Windows does a security update. The troubleshooter says fixed, but it lies! The only thing I have been able to do is uninstall the update causing the issue but I don't want to have security issues. Please help! Thank you. :...
  6. Broken search bar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Broken search bar: My search bar doesn't work every time Windows does a security update. The troubleshooter says fixed, but it lies! The only thing I have been able to do is uninstall the update causing the issue but I don't want to have security issues. Please help! Thank you. :...
  7. Broken search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Search bar broken

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search bar broken: My search stopped working a few days ago, and when I opened it, it closed.As it lets me type and then disappears when I continue, it does not show any results or error messages....
  9. Search bar broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search bar broken: i cant search what the hell? ive tried everything, restarting search.UI, troubleshooting, restarting the PC. does anybody experiecne the same thing? ive tried to upload a screenshot but somehow reddit gave me an error submitted by /u/boigang420 [link] [comments]...
  10. Task Manager broken, search bar not working and more

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Manager broken, search bar not working and more: hello, I have been using windows 10 Insider Preview build 10130 for a few weeks now and everything worked fine except for a few beta bugs. Though today when i started up my pc and opened google chrome, it refused to load any page. Project Spartan does work and any game...