Windows 10: Search only showing files when search is filtered

Discus and support Search only showing files when search is filtered in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I'm running a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on an XPS 13. I was convinced that search was broken, but it turns out my files WOULD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by akashhhhh, Aug 2, 2017.

1. akashhhhh Win User

Search only showing files when search is filtered

Hi everyone,

I'm running a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on an XPS 13. I was convinced that search was broken, but it turns out my files WOULD show if I provided a filter. For example:

Hit Windows key and type "Beatles" and I would only see suggested web searches and a "best match" image.

BUT

Hit Windows key a and type "music:beatles" or "folder:beatles" and I'd get exactly what I wanted.

Is this working as it should?

Worth noting that I've given Cortana zero permissions, could that be affecting things?

Also worth noting that the folder I'm primarily trying to search is a music folder with all the music in the "public music" folder (in order to share the folder across user accounts on the laptop).

Thanks for any help.

:)

akashhhhh, Aug 2, 2017

2. How do I filter searches in File Explorer?

I want to search for files using only the File Name. A search reveals many files that I don't want to find because the search criteria is somehow connected in a way other than the name of the file.

How can I filter my searches?

Steve Rogalinski, Aug 2, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Will Only Search Under C:\Users & Drag and Drop Not Working Anymore

Hi,

I'm having a common problem that I can't find a solution for.

When I search using Cortana only results from C:\Users will appear, if the file is on my D: drive it will not appear unless I select Filter > Photos (if searching for an image file for example). The entire D: drive has been indexed and rebuilt, I can search
    in Windows explorer and find the file quickly, however I like to press the windows key and quickly execute a search to find a file name.

The filter search makes it impossible to find project files for Adobe, Steinberg, and other software since the file name extensions do not correspond to any of the filter options.

What is the solution for enabling all files to appear in Cortana's search results?

An additional question, I can't drag and drop files searched in Cortana into software or Windows explorer, how can I do this without opening the file in windows explorer? Windows 7 had this handy feature by default.

Thanks,

Zach

Zachary Spence, Aug 2, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

"...given Cortana zero permissions..."

I'm assuming you don't prefer Cortana? Disable Cortana (I think you get the regular Search instead) and see if it works.

##) Disable Cortana
    a) Search for, and open: gpedit.msc
    b) Go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Search
    c) Disable Allow Cortana

pepanee, Aug 2, 2017
  5. akashhhhh Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it and then rebuilt the search index, no dice. Again, the files are clearly indexed but only found if I qualify the search (music, folder, etc). It's really bizarre.

akashhhhh, Aug 3, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, what you're dealing with is Cortana search, which is a mixture of web, apps, and indexed folders and files.

You have noted you can prioritise the search with prefixes of kind - great.

Have a look at the top of the dialogue and note the filter buttons.

Search only showing files when search is filtered [​IMG]

Note how selecting the documents filter button => the prefix documents:

The last shows the filters from the drop-down, top right.

Note that Cortana search
    - only searches indexed items (last I seriously tried it)
    - will not- by design- find any executable files

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search only showing files when search is filtered - Similar Threads - Search showing files

2. Safe Search Filter = on

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safe Search Filter = on: I have an issue with safe search beinn set to ON and I can't set it stating "the administrator has control" or something like that. I am the admin and have tried everything to change it but to no avail. I use Starlink as my ISP and have sent another question to see if they...
  3. Safe Search Filter = on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safe Search Filter = on: I have an issue with safe search beinn set to ON and I can't set it stating "the administrator has control" or something like that. I am the admin and have tried everything to change it but to no avail. I use Starlink as my ISP and have sent another question to see if they...
  4. Safe Search Filter = on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Some emails only show when doing a search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some emails only show when doing a search: I have an "sbcglobal" email that on my computer will not show incoming emails for a period of time and then start again. For example I got several emails up to 8:04am. Then no new emails show in the inbox until 11:05 when new emails arrive. However, I know that I got email...
  6. Some emails only show when doing a search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some emails only show when doing a search: I have an "sbcglobal" email that on my computer will not show incoming emails for a period of time and then start again. For example I got several emails up to 8:04am. Then no new emails show in the inbox until 11:05 when new emails arrive. However, I know that I got email...
  7. Search Filter

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Search Filter: Under content filter I have turned on the filter inappropriate websites and searches. However it still allows searches that should be marked as inappropriate. Is there away to add words or phrases that can not be searched.Thanks in advance for any help or insight....
  8. Search only searching contents in PDF files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search only searching contents in PDF files: Hello, lately when I use File Explorer to search the contents of my Word documents, the search is not yielding any results apart from PDF files. I have tried every fix and update I have seen in the community and it has not fixed the problem. I'm running Windows 10 and this...
  9. size:gigantic" search filter not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    size:gigantic" search filter not working: help please the size gigantic filter is not working in file explorer because nothing shows up when i type size:gigantic https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sizegigantic-search-filter-not-working/c3dcd19c-3762-4fdb-bf3a-9926af2bf826
  10. Windows Search: Search for ONLY hidden files

in Cortana
    Windows Search: Search for ONLY hidden files: I have a lot of files in a folder, some of them hidden. I want to search for only the hidden files, like the guy in this post. The answer was not for ONLY hidden files. Of course I know I must enable "Show hidden files". Windows Search is quite powerful, so it can search...