Windows 10: Search options for my drives and windows never worked. I give Up!

Discus and support Search options for my drives and windows never worked. I give Up! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi folks, I dreaded having to install Windows 10, I purchased and installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, ever since the announcement that it was about to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Wingclip, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Wingclip Win User

Search options for my drives and windows never worked. I give Up!

Hi folks,

I dreaded having to install Windows 10, I purchased and installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, ever since the announcement that it was about to be released. For me, Windows 7 was perfect and therefore, the applicable rule was; 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. However, I build my own computers and recently completed an expensive 'from scratch' build.

I was forced to install Windows 10 and because everything I read said that Win 10 Pro gave the user the most flexibility, but not as much as Win 7,I chose the Win 10 Pro edition. The Win 7 edition I had was the "Home" version so the only thing I could do was purchase the Win 10 Pro and do a clean install. You can't 'upgrade' from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Pro w/o a lot of finagling.

I'm not really surprised that after 2.5 weeks, I still fumble around like abull in a china shop as I try to find the most simplest of panels to open, such asDevice & Printers, or, Command Prompt. MS apparently thought it was a good idea to change where these, and many other typically used panels & controls were located.

I know that when I had to go from Win XP to Win 7, I also experienced apprehension and anxiety but was pleasantly surprised when I foundWin 7 was incredibly intuitive. In addition, I was easily getting around 90% of the Win 7 O/S within 3 or 4 hours after installing it. One reason for that was the fact that MS didn't change where most of the controls and panels were located.

Here I am, almost 3 weeks into Win 10 Pro and I still can't recite the path to any of the locations I mentioned above, and many I didn't mention from memory.What makes this all even 10 times worse, is that my "Search" engine doesn't workAT ALL!

I can click in the 'Search' box of any one of my 6 internally mounted SSD drives, or my externally mounted SSHD until I use up the batteries in my mouse, but it won't even open the cursor in there!Don't think I haven't tried every suggestion I could find, and of all the time I've spent on the computer so far,at least 35% of it was in an attempt to fix this.

Today, I noticed that when I press the Windows Key + "S", nothing happens. It's supposed to open the User account option but instead, it does nothing. I can open the "Run" box with theWindows key + "R" and I think there was some other thing I was able to open with the Windows + shortcut but I can't remember now. I wonder if the Windows + S is some sort of indicator to the problem.

I have tried the Windows "Troubleshooter" so often that I actually laugh when I consider trying it anymore. It seems like the Troubleshooter doesn't work and is there just to force you to take a break. My system is very fast but seriously, the Win Troubleshooter operation has never taken longer than one second to return a "Troubleshooter could not find the problem" report.

ONE SECOND?! How could it have found anything in one second?! Of course, it has never, ever, found and fixed a problem and I honestly believe it's incapable of doing that when it doesn't seem to look for a problem long enough to find one.

My storage drives were populated a little at a time, with the contents of drives installed in my previous build, so some drives showed that they had folder with a "Read Only" status. I expected that andI took ownership of them yet, when I go back to the folders Properties/Security later, I found that they were back to "Read Only".

This issue set off a multi-day session of attempts on my part, to regainfull control of the O/S, which to date, apparently has failed.Permissions, Ownership, user accounts, "Everyone", etc., etc. I've spent entirely too much time messing with this problem.

I'm going to go with a third party Search engine and try to forget the fact thatI spent well over $4K on the hardware in this computer build, not including the storage drives, Monitor, or case,and yet, I can't control it because MS decided to fix something that wasn't broken.

FWIW

Rich

:)

Wingclip, Oct 17, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Search option is not working properly in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• Are you referring to Magnifier in windows?

• Are you facing issues with Magnifier or Search bar?

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Restart the Service and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type Services.msc In the search box.

• Select Windows Search.

• Restart the services and set the service as Automatic.
    Step 2: Run the
    Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

Follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing
      troubleshooter.

Reply with necessary information so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Search option next to Windows symbol is not working!!

Hi Darshanhk,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1:

Perform System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

Follow the steps:

a. Press “Windows Key + Q” to open Charms Bar.

b. Type cmd without quotes in the search box.

c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.

Method 2:

If issue persist, I suggest you to try running DISM scan by following the below steps:

• Press Windows key, and type CMD in search. Right click on CMD and click on Run as administrator.
      • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    • Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Method 3: PowerShell

Step: 1 Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip:
    Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.

Step: 2 Click File > Run New Task

Step: 3 Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”

Step: 4 Type PowerShell

Step: 5 Type the following in the PowerShell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

Step: 6 Close the PowerShell window

Step: 7 Reboot

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Search options for my drives and windows never worked. I give Up!

Quick search not working on secondary drives on windows 10

Hi Foxybite,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• What type of files you are trying to search in the search bar?

• What do you refer to when you say secondary drives? Is it the other partition on the hard drive/external hard drive like flash drives or etc.?
    Kindly follow the below steps and check if you are able to fix the issue.

Step 1:

You can run the Search and indexing troubleshooter
    in Windows 10 and check if it helps. Follow the below steps to run Search and indexing
    troubleshooter.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control Panel

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the
      Control Panel.

• Click on View all on the left navigation pane.

• Click on Search and indexing.

• Click on Advanced on the
      Search and indexing
      dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the
      Search and indexing troubleshooter.

Step 2:

Try to add your secondary drive in the indexing options.

• Type in the Indexing options in the start search box and click on
      Indexing options from the search bar results.

• Click on Modify on the Indexing options window. (Enter

• Check the secondary drive (which you need to fetch the results from the search box) and click on
      OK button. (If the secondary drive is not visible, click on
      Show all locations,
      enter the administrator credentials if prompted))

• Now, try to search and check if you are able to fetch the results.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Search options for my drives and windows never worked. I give Up!

1. Search options for my drives and windows never worked. I give Up! - Similar Threads - Search options drives

2. i give up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i give up.: Igave up asking' problim is touch pad it works fine and most of the time not working at all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-give-up/e004160b-3214-4cc4-a51b-2c7ccf5fb253
  3. i give up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i give up.: Igave up asking' problim is touch pad it works fine and most of the time not working at all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-give-up/e004160b-3214-4cc4-a51b-2c7ccf5fb253
  4. i give up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    i give up: tired of answers that dont work.....have to reboot after opening from shut down mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-give-up/24b09c48-1e85-42c6-8ab3-b8c59cb4e624
  5. Search Option Not Working

in Cortana
    Search Option Not Working: Hi, my Search in the Taskbar is not working. This happened in my other PC but it started working randomly. When I click on the Search icon, it shows the black Rectangular Box but has nothing in it and closes suddenly. Any fix for this?...
  6. i’m about to give up, none of these options work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i’m about to give up, none of these options work: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/laurenb0509 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hy6p3e/im_about_to_give_up_none_of_these_options_work/
  7. My search option is not working for some reason (the windows search). I tried basically...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My search option is not working for some reason (the windows search). I tried basically...: I can still open it up but it crashes before I can type anything. submitted by /u/jeb_OFFICIAL [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hut6p1/my_search_option_is_not_working_for_some_reason/
  8. The SEARCH option doesn't work.

in Cortana
    The SEARCH option doesn't work.: Dear Sir, I hope you can help me. From a few weeks ago the "search option" of my Windows S.O. doesn't work (neither the SEARCH BOX placed on the task bar nor the "search" option avaible when you right-click on the Windowns logo). Actions taken so far: - Windows Update...
  9. Settings search has never worked

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings search has never worked: I have had my Tablet PC for about 5 years. In this time the Search function has never worked, it just does not find anything I enter. It could be of some use if it did. Regarding a related point, it is clear MS has not yet been able to carry out the planned replacement of...
  10. I Give Up

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I Give Up: Tried downloading Windows 10, with my slow capped satellite connection it took 12 hours to get to 90% of the 2.7 gig file, only to have Windows decide that it needs to restart the download. 12 hours after that it finally downloaded and I started the install of Windows 10-but...