Windows 10: Search Part of File Name with Keyword (Examples Included)

Discus and support Search Part of File Name with Keyword (Examples Included) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, we've had this problem for a long time. Today I decided to resolve it by chatting with support at Microsoft. The representative was surprised as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarioSilva4, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Search Part of File Name with Keyword (Examples Included)

Hi, we've had this problem for a long time. Today I decided to resolve it by chatting with support at Microsoft. The representative was surprised as well that this isn't a feature yet working on their end either.

When you click CTRL + F on your internet browser and type any word, the system will find EVERY instance of that word, even if it's in the middle of an other word. (For example if I just type in: dis .. the browser will highlight: discourse, discussion, disease, disturb etc.

When I go on my file explorer and try to do the same it doesn't work. For example, I have an external hard drive. It's very clean. It just contains thousands of video clips with a name structure like this: EDTMontrealDowntownDrive4k ... Many times there can be dozens with the same name and a number at the end.

It would be of incredible help to millions of people in the future if the search can index the names & letters so we can find all file names containing a word. So for example if I type in Montreal it would show me all the files above: EDTMontrealDowntownDrive4k, EDTMontrealCity4k, EDTMontrealDowntownDrive4k_4 etc.

Right now the search only seems to work IF the title names have SPACES between the words. or even_UNDERSCORES_.

Do you know a solution? Maybe a third party app that does this?

If not please submit a feature request.

This should get implemented soon.

Thanks for your help

:)

MarioSilva4, Mar 21, 2019

2. How to Search for Keywords in File Names on Windows10

Hi,

To help you with your concern of searching for keywords in file names, you may check out the helpful post of carl__s in this link:

Can't find filename when searching for part of file name.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks.

Jesrael Bor, Mar 21, 2019
  3. How to Search for Keywords in File Names on Windows10

How do I search for a keyword in a file name? All my file names are in po format and begin with several numbers previous to the actual name. Often I am looking for a picture file for a job who's name I recall, but not their exact PO, and end up having
    to search manually with the scroll bar through a hundred files. Is this something I can change? Is there a way to search for a keyword from the file name, instead of beginning with the first character of the file name? Or is this just not an option for how
    Windows10 was set up? It would help make my life so much easier if it were possible to search keywords through the Cortana search bar, or even more so through the File Explorer search bar.

BevNeedsHelp1, Mar 21, 2019
  4. Search Part of File Name with Keyword (Examples Included)

Search with part of file name

I'm trying to do a simple search. I have a few hundred files in a number of subfolders, and from the top level I'm just searching for part of the file name (in the top-right corner of Explorer) And it finds nothing.

Is there any setting I need to change?? How can i search with just a part of file name?

vishnuvijaykp, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

Search Part of File Name with Keyword (Examples Included)

1. Search Part of File Name with Keyword (Examples Included) - Similar Threads - Search Part File

2. Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword: Never had this problem in Windows 7 or XP Explorer when searching for by a keyword in a file name of a file in a specific folder, this time on my external USB drive. Please advise....
  3. Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword: Never had this problem in Windows 7 or XP Explorer when searching for by a keyword in a file name of a file in a specific folder, this time on my external USB drive. Please advise....
  4. Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How can I search for file names in a file library to include files in subfolders. worked in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I search for file names in a file library to include files in subfolders. worked in...: I have a system that has 8 drives including a M2-System drive and a DVDRW, I need to be able to search for partial file names across the other 6 drives. 1-4T, 2-5T, 3-10T. I have created a Library in windows explorer, under \Desktop, which include the path to Parent folders...
  6. How can I search for file names in a file library to include files in subfolders. worked in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I search for file names in a file library to include files in subfolders. worked in...: I have a system that has 8 drives including a M2-System drive and a DVDRW, I need to be able to search for partial file names across the other 6 drives. 1-4T, 2-5T, 3-10T. I have created a Library in windows explorer, under \Desktop, which include the path to Parent folders...
  7. How to Remove a Specific Part of a file Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Remove a Specific Part of a file Name: I have a few music .mp3 that all have a different but singularised phrase within the parameters "[ ]" How would i be able to remove this from multiple different files. Labelled in the Picture Below...
  8. How do user search in windows explorer in filename that contains the keyword in any part of...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do user search in windows explorer in filename that contains the keyword in any part of...: Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-user-search-in-windows-explorer-in-filename/f4187454-22a4-4899-842d-a71b9509dd81
  9. Why is file explorer not searching by keyword

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is file explorer not searching by keyword: Why is file explorer not searching by keyword https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-file-explorer-not-searching-by-keyword/99ac8768-ad65-4545-99ae-f610efa5c50f"
  10. Remove part file name in bunch of files

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove part file name in bunch of files: I have a bunch of files that have the same name in all the files. I do not want to go through all 244 files and remove it manually. They are MP3's that I have purchased and saved. I got hit with ransonware a few weeks ago, and it renamed all of my mp3's with the extension...