Windows 10: search results that are not apps are not selectable

Discus and support search results that are not apps are not selectable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit edition. I upgraded from Windows 8 pro. When I search for non-apps, such as "power options", the search results... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Webslinger, Aug 23, 2015.

1. search results that are not apps are not selectable

Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit edition. I upgraded from Windows 8 pro.

When I search for non-apps, such as "power options", the search results appear properly. However, when I click on the power options search result (with the icon), nothing happens. Clicking on "settings" and "windows mobility center" does work.

And if I search for "control panel" and select the result, that works fine, since the search result is an app.

I've tried doing an in-place repair install of Windows 10 pro, but that didn't help.
    And I've tried deleting and rebuilding the search index.

As a workaround, I installed Stardock's Start10. Start10's search results work, but only from within it's own Windows 7 and Modern themes. Again, any search result, for a Windows 10 function (such as device manager), from within Windows 10 native search function on the toolbar, isn't selectable unless what I search for is an app.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciate. Thanks in advance.

:)

Webslinger, Aug 23, 2015

2. Apps are not available that are necessary

Thanks

DaffyDuckKangaroo, Aug 23, 2015
  3. Apps are not available that are necessary

Hi Matthew,

As your response may be true, Microsoft has a lot of power and should be advocating for its users. I'm sure with the right incentives, Microsoft can push for the Windows phone platform to be included.

It is frustrating to not be able to take advantage of useful apps just because I chose a Windows phone. For example, if I were able to download the TWC WiFi Finder App, I would be saving data usage by using Time Warner's hot spots. But, I can't take advantage
    of this feature because it is not available in the Windows store.

Your recommendation for individuals to contact the developer of a particular app falls short of the mark. Microsoft presence would have more pull and they
    should take the lead. It's a matter of good business to keep your loyal customer base.

Bville1960, Aug 23, 2015
  4. khodary Win User

search results that are not apps are not selectable

I have the same issue and I tried a lot still the same, I can find all Control panel items from Search but I can not run what found..so it's useless at the end
    hope anybody can help..
    Regards

khodary, Aug 28, 2015
  5. Richaarrd Win User
    I have the same issue... I found that if, I reboot, problem returns... BUT, if I put PC to "Sleep" for a while, when I wake it up, the Windows search works properly (respond to clicking on any kind of result)...
    Can someone with same problem test this on their machine?
    Can an expert on the OS, suggest what is causing this behavior...
    Thanx... R.

Richaarrd, Nov 17, 2015
  6. AndreyT Win User
    On a 1511 Windows 10 machine with Web results enabled I get this

search results that are not apps are not selectable [​IMG]

Trying to select any of the topmost two options throws me to the universal Settings window, which is entirely empty (?).

Thew strange thing is that if I disable Web results, then the "Control Panel" entry will disappear from the results (??). Clicking on the "System Settings" option will again throw me to the same empty Settings window. Or, sometimes, both entries will disappear (???).

To add insult to injury, after these experiments my search UI began to crash... And that is on a fresh clean install of Windows 10.

Keep in mind: about 95% if everything in Windows 10 is currently broken. Just wait a couple of months and reinstall everything from scratch. That's the only hope we have at this point.

In my case the solution was to enable content indexing on drive C: (my system drive). I disabled it before. Once I re-enabled it, my search started to work properly. I get the icon just like yours and it does transfer me to the proper Control Panel applet.

AndreyT, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

search results that are not apps are not selectable

1. search results that are not apps are not selectable - Similar Threads - search results are

2. Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results: Dear Microsoft Community,I am facing a perplexing issue on my Windows 11 Pro system. Several Microsoft Store applications, such as WhatsApp, Calculator, and Camera, are not appearing in Windows Search results. Oddly, this problem extends beyond Microsoft Store apps;...
  3. Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results: Dear Microsoft Community,I am facing a perplexing issue on my Windows 11 Pro system. Several Microsoft Store applications, such as WhatsApp, Calculator, and Camera, are not appearing in Windows Search results. Oddly, this problem extends beyond Microsoft Store apps;...
  4. Search for files within folders always returning no results. Drive is "selected" for...

Search for files within folders always returning no results. Drive is "selected" for...: When I search for files within a folder I always get "No items match your search" despite them being obvious matches:When I go to indexing options I can see that my C drive is checked as an "Indexed Location" but not listed as an "Included Location" below like the other...
  5. Mail App Search not finding most results

Mail App Search not finding most results: This thread described my problem but was locked 3 years ago. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail-winpc/windows-10-mail-app-search-function-not-finding/1dc6c199-54eb-4b74-8582-24ac990d6a11 I believe that a working search is the...
  6. no app results in windows search

in Cortana
    no app results in windows search: After booting up my device I realised that none of the installed apps are shown in the windows search. Some of the folders pop up but not the app itself and it was working fine yesterday. I have tried to run the troubleshooter, restarted the windows search service. I have...
  7. Recent files open by an App in search result

Recent files open by an App in search result: How do i clear recent files open by an App in search result? I've try to clear all history from Explorer's Option I've try to Disable "Show recently opened item in jump list...." at start setting. please help Here is the recent that i mean, tat colored by yellow in...
  8. Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Results: When I search my Documents directory, I often get results from .css, .js etc when really all I want are folders, .html, .pdf How to I stop the .css, .js files appearing in the search results? I know I can apply filters afterwards but having to do so when all I want to do...
  9. Remove select "Best Matches" from search bar results.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove select "Best Matches" from search bar results.: I use SourceTree a lot and when I type "sour" into search, I get two results, SourceTree and ODBC Data Sources and it places the not-SourceTree one on top. I have mistakenly hit enter and opened the not-SourceTree thing a few times and so now I must type "sourcet" and hit...
  10. Can't use mouse to select search result through search box.

in Cortana
    Can't use mouse to select search result through search box.: After updating to Windows 10 October Update (re-released one), I can't select anything from result screen using my mouse. I can do so using cursor keys though. Any solution for it? My Windows 10 build is 17763.134. Also, this happens too. [ATTACH]...