Windows 10: Search results to find folders only as the default search.

Discus and support Search results to find folders only as the default search. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have thousands of client folders on my laptop with tens of thousands of files. I would like to have only client folders found when I use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ScottMillerams, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Search results to find folders only as the default search.

Hi,

I have thousands of client folders on my laptop with tens of thousands of files.

I would like to have only client folders found when I use the search function as I am trying to 'find' a particular clients file so I can add/modify/ delete items etc.

At the moment when I search there seems to be no order in what comes as part of the search result and would like the search to look only for folders by default.

I can change the view to folders manually, nut this has to be done every time I search.

How do I make the folder search the default search?

Kind regards

Scott

:)

ScottMillerams, Jan 28, 2021
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Search Results

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know where exactly are you searching for the photos.

Are you searching on Windows search bar from desktop or Windows Explorer or Photo app?

If you are searching on Photo app try the below,

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Windows Store Apps.
    • Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If you are searching on Windows Explorer or Search box try the below,

Step 2: Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 28, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Search results to find folders only as the default search.

Search Question

I've done some searching on here over the years, and mostly been aggravated at the results. Case in point: 5 minutes ago I went to search for anyone having issues with 5.1 audio on Wolfenstein new order. So, I started simple with
    New Order
    . that didn't go well. So, I swapped to "New Order". That gave me this result

Search Results for Query: "new order"
    • The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: new
    Is there any way to change or improve our search engine? Or is there a better way to search for something like that?

Ahhzz, Jan 28, 2021
Thema:

Search results to find folders only as the default search.

1. Search results to find folders only as the default search. - Similar Threads - Search results find

2. Change default view for the search results

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change default view for the search results: Is there a way to set thedefault view for the search results in file explorer without having to changeit every time I use the search feature? I would like the default view be for:1. Documents, not web. This should be the default view as oneonly need go to search engine for...
  3. Mail App Search not finding most results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail App Search not finding most results: This thread described my problem but was locked 3 years ago. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail-winpc/windows-10-mail-app-search-function-not-finding/1dc6c199-54eb-4b74-8582-24ac990d6a11 I believe that a working search is the...
  4. ODD PROBLEM: "Windows Search" Only Finding Folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    ODD PROBLEM: "Windows Search" Only Finding Folders?: Hi all, When I do a search in the Windows 10 "Search bar" in the top right hand corner I only seem to get back "Windows Folder" search results that contain the word I searched for, but not individual files like .DOC files... I can find the .DOC files by just looking myself...
  5. Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Results: When I search my Documents directory, I often get results from .css, .js etc when really all I want are folders, .html, .pdf How to I stop the .css, .js files appearing in the search results? I know I can apply filters afterwards but having to do so when all I want to do...
  6. Search results ignore my Default browser...

in Cortana
    Search results ignore my Default browser...: Despite setting my Default browser choice in Windows 10, when I search from the Start menu the results open in MS Edge! It also appears that Search results are ignoring my Default search engine too - using Bing instead! How do I force Search results to open in my Default...
  7. Tenforums - Search and then search within results

in Windows 10 Support
    Tenforums - Search and then search within results: Up front: I haven't found a way of doing it, so I don't know if it is already possible. IF it is already possible, then below serves no purpose, but then again, I hope someone will tell me 'how to..' Is there a way to perform a search and then do a 2nd (maybe in case of...
  8. How to change default Folder View of Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change default Folder View of Search Results: Hello, After installing an update a few days ago I am encountering a number of extremely annoying issues I didn't previously have. Whenever I use the Search Box in the File Explorer, it almost always displays the results using the "Content" view. If I switch it to my...
  9. Search only shows Web Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search only shows Web Results: When I search for something in the search bar, now I am only getting web results. I am not getting computer related items. For example, if I search for printers, I only get web results about printers. I am not getting anything about the printers I have installed on this...
  10. Use chrome/google as default for search results

in Windows 10 Support
    Use chrome/google as default for search results: How can I -Use chrome/google for search results Currently when we type anything into the taskbar search, it launches Edge + Bing to give the results. I would like it to use google and my chrome browser cos I find it gives better results. 8782