Windows 10: Search Results

Discus and support Search Results in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I search my Documents directory, I often get results from .css, .js etc when really all I want are folders, .html, .pdf How to I stop the .css,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cosmarchy, Feb 15, 2020.

1. cosmarchy Win User

Search Results

When I search my Documents directory, I often get results from .css, .js etc when really all I want are folders, .html, .pdf

How to I stop the .css, .js files appearing in the search results?

I know I can apply filters afterwards but having to do so when all I want to do is a quick search, is a pain and not always reliable (filtering by type:folder gives me .zip!!)

Is there an easy way to do this automatically?

:)

cosmarchy, Feb 15, 2020

2. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      Search Results a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Feb 15, 2020
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Turn Off Web Search Results When Searching My Computer

Hi,

If you are pertaining to the Cortana search web results, you can disable it and improve local search results. Follow the steps below to disable web results:

• Click the search bar.
    • Select the Notebook icon on the left pane of the search bar.
    • From the options, select Settings. (Note: On the later versions of Windows, the Settings button might be outside the Notebook icon.)
    • On the Settings, toggle the Cortana gives me suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option to
      Off.
    • On the lower part, turn off the Search online and included web results option as well.

See the image as reference to the above steps:

Search Results 7c9e0858-2114-462b-b171-63b6e7d3089d.jpg

After doing the steps, try using search again and see if the web results will now disappear.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post your query anytime.

Anne Ros, Feb 15, 2020
  4. Search Results

Search Results

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know where exactly are you searching for the photos.

Are you searching on Windows search bar from desktop or Windows Explorer or Photo app?

If you are searching on Photo app try the below,

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Windows Store Apps.
    • Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If you are searching on Windows Explorer or Search box try the below,

Step 2: Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

Search Results

1. Search Results - Similar Threads - Search Results

2. Windows search results are black Black text on black bacground

in Cortana
    Windows search results are black Black text on black bacground: I am a tech support representative for my company and I cannot figure out this issue, so I am turning to you with hopes that someone has encountered this before. If I try to search anything with windows search the background and results are totally...
  3. Windows Search results are mostly invisible

in Cortana
    Windows Search results are mostly invisible: I wasn't able to find any other forum or blog posts that had this exact same problem, and none of their solutions applied to my issue. It's not a major issue but it's pretty annoying to have to deal with having invisible search results and an invisible tab for switching...
  4. How to enable web result search in Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable web result search in Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021: Hi everyone, who read this post. I had a problem about search the result web. I'm trying to search web and it cannot return any result and notice message like the picture below. Can somebody help this problem? Both: not start word by "web:" or not is still same as problem...
  5. How to enable web result search in Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to enable web result search in Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021: Hi everyone, who read this post. I had a problem about search the result web. I'm trying to search web and it cannot return any result and notice message like the picture below. Can somebody help this problem? Both: not start word by "web:" or not is still same as problem...
  6. How to enable web result search in Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021

in Cortana
  7. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore: Usually I pressed the Win key to open up the windows start menu and I typed any letters there to start searching for my apps and files.For example I usually type 'Win' then 'F' and 'Enter' to open File Explorer.The problem is that now the search box doesn't automatically...
  8. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore: Usually I pressed the Win key to open up the windows start menu and I typed any letters there to start searching for my apps and files.For example I usually type 'Win' then 'F' and 'Enter' to open File Explorer.The problem is that now the search box doesn't automatically...
  9. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

10. File Explorer search results showing up twice.

File Explorer search results showing up twice.: For a few months now when i try to search something in file explorer pictures will show up twice after a certain date is reached. I dont know the exact date but it starts in september of 2022. This makes it very hard to navigate and search since I have a lot of pictures saved...