Windows 10: Search returns a shortcut that has no location, not in recent items folder

Discus and support Search returns a shortcut that has no location, not in recent items folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I did a search of my C drive, and it returned an entry with a name of course, but a blank location and folder. Hmmm. On right clicking it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WSPC, Mar 9, 2019.

1. WSPC Win User

Search returns a shortcut that has no location, not in recent items folder

Hi, I did a search of my C drive, and it returned an entry with a name of course, but a blank location and folder. Hmmm.

On right clicking it and checking properties, it says it is an "Internet shortcut". The only other information on the properties window is an "Internet location", but that is actually a regular folder path, like a regular desktop shortcut, to a file long deleted and no longer on my computer.

When I click the file, in the search window, it says cannot find the file, since it is a shortcut to a deleted file.

But where is this shortcut stored? I have cleared my Recent items folder. And just for luck I cleared all bookmarks and cache in Edge. I even searched my registry, and it is not stored there. It is stored somewhere on my computer, since it is being returned by search, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where.

Any ideas?

:)

WSPC, Mar 9, 2019

2. "Recent Items" list vs Opening a folder for Recent Items

Search returns a shortcut that has no location, not in recent items folder :) Hello all... I am not understanding how MS elected removed the list of recent files and replaced it with opening a folder to see the recent files. That is now a 2 step process because you have to close the folder. I used the "recent items" a lot and I miss it - I'm sure others do ass well.
    The solutions offered here only are partial, they only add the link to the start menu / jump lists, but those still open an actual folder which then has to be closed. If you open multiple files, then you have to close multiple folders. Odd...
    I'm not a programmer - but I'm thinking (hoping!) that someone around here may be knowledgeable enough to find a way to return the actual "Recent Items" list, without opening a folder.
    I'm thinking I may not be alone on this one...
    Thank you!!

sunnyorlando, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Question: Windows 10 search returning internet shortcuts as "History Items" - malware?

Hello:

When searching for a file in File Explorer, at the bottom of the search returns list are items marked with a "globe" graphic. Unlike all of the other items returned by the search, they do not have any Type or Date information. Example: if I'm searching
    for a recently used file, I will get an item at the bottom of the search list with the globe icon and the name of the file.

When I right-click on the item and select "Properties", the dialogue box lists the Type as Internet Shortcut , with a local Internet Address. (example: file:///D:/OneDrive/filename.xlsx)

When I right-click on the item and select "Delete" I get a dialogue box that says WARNING - Are you sure you want to delete History Item: <filename>?

This does not seem to be normal behavior and I'm not seeing it on my other Windows 10 machine with search results. Can anyone please advise me if these "History Items" are system-generated by Windows 10 and where? As the shortcut is pointing to a local
    file address it seems concerning.

Thanks!

Kevin G_2016, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Search returns a shortcut that has no location, not in recent items folder

Question: Windows 10 search returning internet shortcuts as "History Items" - malware?

After investigating further it seems that disabling the Start menu history features solves this problem.

Going to Start > Settings > and then searching for "Start settings" in the search box at the top leads to a control panel where I can disable multiple "recently opened" features.

As a result, Windows no longer seems to be creating strange Internet Shortcuts for recently opened files that show up in a File Explorer search. It also stops creating items in the hidden Users > (username) > Recent folder.

When I called the Windows support line to ask about the shortcut behavior, the person I spoke to consulted his "support" and then suggested that I had a trojan horse virus. I completely wiped my machine and rebuilt the system, only to get the same behavior.
    Only after looking further at every setting, step-by-step, did I figure this out. Giant waste of time.

Microsoft: Creating property-less Internet Shortcuts with a local URL as "History Items" - with no published directory location - looks like a malware behavior. Even your own support staff thought so! Please stop doing weird stuff
    like this. A history should be saved to one text file that can be cleared, full stop.

Kevin G_2016, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

Search returns a shortcut that has no location, not in recent items folder

1. Search returns a shortcut that has no location, not in recent items folder - Similar Threads - Search returns shortcut

2. Searching with Windows Explorer in the OneDrive folder on my PC returns "No items match...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching with Windows Explorer in the OneDrive folder on my PC returns "No items match...: I have a Dell Inspiron desktop purchased in about 2016, running Windows 10 Home. About 3 weeks ago I replaced the 1TB SATA drive with a 2TB SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10, booting on a thumb drive I made in Windows 10. I have been using OneDrive to backup all my...
  3. Searching with Windows Explorer in the OneDrive folder on my PC returns "No items match...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching with Windows Explorer in the OneDrive folder on my PC returns "No items match...: I have a Dell Inspiron desktop purchased in about 2016, running Windows 10 Home. About 3 weeks ago I replaced the 1TB SATA drive with a 2TB SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10, booting on a thumb drive I made in Windows 10. I have been using OneDrive to backup all my...
  4. Searching with Windows Explorer in the OneDrive folder on my PC returns "No items match...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deleting Recent items from Windows Search

in Cortana
    Deleting Recent items from Windows Search: Whenever I type any software's name in the "Type here to search" section of the taskbar, a list of recent files I opened with the software appears in a side pane. I really hate such cluttering but the bigger problem is that I have deleted many such files but they still keep...
  6. Recent Items Directory Folder...Want to increase default of 150 items

Recent Items Directory Folder...Want to increase default of 150 items: Windows 10 Home version...Recent Items Directory Folder in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\ has a default of 150 items. How do i increase this number to say 200? Is this default number stored in the registry or a Local Group Policy? Please note this has nothing to do with...
  7. Search: Matching items in network locations in Libraries not found

Search: Matching items in network locations in Libraries not found: Searching Windows key + S for known file and folder names and known phrases in documents doesn't return matching items in network locations in my Libraries. I ran the Search and Indexing troubleshooter with admin rights. It found "incorrect permissions on windows search...
  8. Where are recent certain items/pictures located?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where are recent certain items/pictures located?: For example say i name picture justin2. When i type this in start, it would show lot of pictures like justin2, justin 3 etc as i named lot of pictures that. So when i click on it, it opens up in paint. These are pictures i took screenshots of in my computer. Where can i find...
  9. Recent items folder Empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent items folder Empty: Hi - when I first open File Explorer all the recent items are there. I've added the Recent Items Folder to the Quick Access menu using instructions I found here by opening the shell:recent window. but it always says that the recent items folder is empty.The thread across the...
  10. Create Recent Items Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Recent Items Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Recent Items Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Recent Items Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Recent items is a list of the files that you have used or opened recently. These items are displayed as "Recent files" in Quick access, and under...