Windows 10: Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??

Discus and support Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Does anyone know if there is a syntax for finding all folders containing certain types of files? Like if I wanted to find every folder on my D drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pjfarr, Jul 14, 2020.

1. pjfarr Win User

Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??

Does anyone know if there is a syntax for finding all folders containing certain types of files? Like if I wanted to find every folder on my D drive containing photos (and have just the folders listed in the search results.) Or find every folder containing ebooks, whatever. How would I do this?

Thanks!

:)

pjfarr, Jul 14, 2020

2. How to Search in Windows 10 for files containing a specific formula?

I have a file folder containing about 100 Excel workbooks that I've sent to a large number of users. It's a standard workbook but each one has been tailored to the specific user with entity name, staff names, etc. I discovered that some of the files contain
    a formula error. How can I search the folder for the files containing the incorrect formula? I don't want to send the macro to every user, just the ones with the 'bad' formula. When I use the search box in Windows 10 it returns zero files, although I did
    select "Files Containing". Is there a syntax I'm supposed to be using in the search box to indicate that I'm searching for a formula? The formula is: =SUM(Deviations!D9Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ?? :D10)

Thank you!

DonnaPletcher, Jul 14, 2020
  3. File Explorer search syntax

There is no complete, official reference that I've ever found. The closest is this:

Advabced Quert Syntax

But even that is incomplete.

Here are key concepts I've learned:

• If serching for names with special characters normally used in search syntax, the text must me enclosed in quotes:
    Code:
    [b]name:"(8).txt"[/b]
    • But if you try the above with wildcards, you'll be disappointed. For wildcards to be used within quoted strings, you have to use a tilde ':~':
    Code:
    [b]name:~"*(*)*" <- any item with parentheses in name.[/b]
    • To search for empty properties, use empty square brackets:
    Code:
    [b]ext:.jpg DateTaken:[][/b]

Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ?? e69bc411-933f-4053-9cef-1d842595619c?upload=true.png

• You can narrow Search Results to a specific folder or sub-folder by including
      FolderName in your search:
    Code:
    [b]ext:.jpg DateTaken:[] FolderName:Charlie[/b]

Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ?? aff41611-eed0-41a7-9807-d24885a63023?upload=true.png

I think I've covered the most common needs. Happy to follow-up if you have more spedific questions.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Jul 14, 2020
  4. dazzagil Win User

Conditional searches for folder that contain a specfic combantion of file extenisions

Cab anyone help with the following problem

I have about 1,000 book folders that contain either1, 2 or 3 files with the extensions OPF , JPG and EPUB.

What I would like to do is a search on the folders that would list all those folders that contain OPF and JPG file extensions only. if it contains a file with the .EPUB extension I want the search to ignore the folder.

I've tried using the Search box in File Explorer with Boolean Logic (AND NOT OR) with no joy and I've tried regular expression but having trouble getting my head around how to set the expression.

If anyone could help by suggesting a solution or even a file search program it would be appreciated.

If posted in wrong area please tell me and I will move it

dazzagil, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ?? - Similar Threads - Search syntax folders

2. Move multiple folders that contains specific files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move multiple folders that contains specific files: [ATTACH] Hello everyone. I need help. I am driving crazy with something that may be simple. I have a folder with 5000 movies. See the screenshot: https://preview.redd.it/qtseh9wul0ga1.png?width=1437&format=png&auto=webp&s=bde881bb11363c8d33c320639653b9fc21cd373b I want...
  3. syntax for searching for text within a particular file type

in Cortana
    syntax for searching for text within a particular file type: Hello. I want to find specific text within a file type with extension .RSpecifically, for exampleI tried a search like this:NCNA.tib ext:"R" and the resulting file does not show upa search like ext:"R" works and brings up all the R filesFurther, if I click on one of those...
  4. Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?: File Explorer has a search box in the upper right. If I type the string ~* then it doesn't just search for filenames starting with tilde. Somehow I found that I can type file:~"*~*" and it finds all filenames containing a tilde. But tomorrow I might want to search for...
  5. Syntax for a search URL

in Browsers and Email
    Syntax for a search URL: A long time ago, when I had Avant Browser, there was a system for pasting a URL in a browser's address bar, & putting something at the end that would go to a specific site & do a search there. It has something to do with %s or \%s, I can't recall. For example, if you wanted...
  6. File Explorer search syntax

File Explorer search syntax: Since local help files have become, for reasons I cannot fathom, anachronistic, I have been looking for current documentation on the use of the built-in file search tools on Windows 10. I'm in need of the full set of syntax and usage. I can't find what I need because,...
  7. Question about autodownloading specific file types to specific folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about autodownloading specific file types to specific folders: I download videos from online and images and also free ebooks from places other then just amazon. So here is what I want to know. If all the videos I download are .MP4 can I have them automatically download into a specific folder inside downloads. And do the same for other...
  8. recursively search C: for specific file-type type then copy w/Path

in Windows 10 Support
    recursively search C: for specific file-type type then copy w/Path: Pretty much what it says in the Header. I am sure this can be done using the correct switched in several tools like robocopy or even X-Copy but so far copying the file including its full path to another location is not working properly for me. I think i have the recursive...
  9. Searching a document in containing a specific word from file explorer

Searching a document in containing a specific word from file explorer: I have to find a document(.docx format) containing a specific word by using the search options from the file explorer. eg: I wish to find a word containing the word "thank you" within my documents from file explorer. I have lots of document in that format on my PC. Anyone,...
  10. Windows Syntax & Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Syntax & Search: Hi! . I want to search for strings that occur within the contents of text files. . I am definitely missing something with respect to Windows' search syntax or Windows in general...sorry! . To avoid the complexity of my specific issue, I created the following test...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Search syntax for folders containing specific file types