Windows 10: Search term override?!

Discus and support Search term override?! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use Edge as my primary browser. Cool. But I also have to use Internet Explorer or a non-modern browser to access an NVR setup, because of course... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Educating180, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Search term override?!

I use Edge as my primary browser. Cool. But I also have to use Internet Explorer or a non-modern browser to access an NVR setup, because of course Edge, Chrome, Firefox, etc won't work with it.

I usually just use my keyboard by tapping the "start" key and then start typing "inter" and pressing enter. Seems obvious enough since Internet Explorer is always the only item to pop up and start.

Recently after whichever update, I start to type "inter" and now Microsoft Edge is showing up as a "Best Match" as "Microsoft's recommended browser" - completely overriding what I'm typing in in order to supplant what they think I should be using all of the time in every circumstance, not to mention the fact that "inter*" is not included in the name or description of "Microsoft Edge"

Can this nonsense be fixed, perhaps at least not defaulting the first result to the pushed products over what the user actually wants to access and how they want to access it according to how the search software is programmed to work?

If anyone knows if there's a way to disable this, please advise. A quick search didn't provide me with any quick fix.

Thanks.

:)

Educating180, Jul 24, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jul 27, 2020
  3. Highlight search terms in a Windows 10 browser on Windows tablet.

Original Title: Highlight search terms in browser on a Windows tablet?

I'm having trouble finding the following combination:

• A browser that works well on a Windows 10 tablet
    • The ability to highlight search terms on a web page
    Firefox (at least the 32 bit version) doesn't work well with "pinch to zoom", so it is very annoying on a tablet. But it has a good add-on for highlighting search terms, called SearchWP.

The other three browsers work well on Windows tablets, but I haven't found a good way to highlight search terms.

• Internet Explorer can use the Google Toolbar highlights, but the Google Toolbar seems abandoned and it doesn't seem safe to use abandoned tools.
    • Edge doesn't have any extensions yet.
    • Chrome has extensions such as efTwo, but I can't get the highlighting of search terms to work, and others report the same problem in the reviews.
    Has anyone found a good solution for highlighting search terms on a browser for a Windows 10 tablet?

Mickey Segal, Jul 27, 2020
  4. enso Win User

Search term override?!

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

Search term override?!

1. Search term override?! - Similar Threads - Search term override

2. Can I get the Search term to "stick"?

in Cortana
    Can I get the Search term to "stick"?: If this isn’t the correct forum for this question, I would be grateful if someone could direct me to the correct group. I use the Search function in File Explorer many times throughout the day. It would be very helpful to me if the search term would “stick,” or “persist.”...
  3. Can I get the Search term to "stick"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I get the Search term to "stick"?: If this isn’t the correct forum for this question, I would be grateful if someone could direct me to the correct group. I use the Search function in File Explorer many times throughout the day. It would be very helpful to me if the search term would “stick,” or “persist.”...
  4. Can I get the Search term to "stick"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. search term box pop up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search term box pop up: there is an annoying small black rectangular box on my screen in microsoft edge. Popups are blocked in edge permissions so thats not the solution. Support tried to fix it and locked me out of the pc all together!! I had to reset the whole pc just to get back in. Then support...
  6. search term box pop up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    search term box pop up: there is an annoying small black rectangular box on my screen in microsoft edge. Popups are blocked in edge permissions so thats not the solution. Support tried to fix it and locked me out of the pc all together!! I had to reset the whole pc just to get back in. Then support...
  7. Settings override

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings override: Whenever I'm in the settings app, I get the `Systemsettings.exe - System Error` "The system detected an overrun of a stack-bassed buffer in this application, This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this application."...
  8. I just did a forum search for this term...

in Windows 10 Support
    I just did a forum search for this term...: https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.p...&sa.x=0&sa.y=0 It specifically enquires about making a new folder via the send:to function or a new folder with a specific name. I do not have the time or resources to figure this out. Please help. Brink! I have raid10, with...
  9. edge is not working to search terms

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    edge is not working to search terms: I am running windows 10 and have no problem to connect internet,but if I need to search a term using edge have a problem to connect any page with saying :can not connect securely to this page:Why is it and how to fix it?...
  10. Opera override

in Browsers and Email
    Opera override: What is this opera crap? Every time I try to get to Amazon, it shows up and overrides everything else on my monitor. How do I get rid of it? 137111