Windows 10: Search will not work through the taskbar

Discus and support Search will not work through the taskbar in Cortana to solve the problem; I can't search my domain account. I can search my personal account. Searching in the taskbar does nothing. If I open a folder and try to search, the... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by JudyMuller1, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Search will not work through the taskbar

I can't search my domain account. I can search my personal account. Searching in the taskbar does nothing. If I open a folder and try to search, the search box won't accept any input. I've tried the troubleshooter and PowerShell fixes to no avail. Any ideas?

:)

JudyMuller1, Dec 8, 2021
  2. APG6 Win User

my taskbar search is working sporadically

My taskbar search bar is working some of the time. For example, if I type in "TaskMgr", it will list taskmgr, and when I click on it, it opens my Task Manager, as expected.

But if I type in a file name or an app, like WinMerge, it will list them properly in the Search list, but if I click on them, either nothing happens or it takes me to the root window of File Explorer, instead of to the file or the app.

I ran through all the steps on this page, to no avail: How to fix search problems in Windows 10 | Windows Central

Any ideas?

APG6, Dec 8, 2021
  3. Taskbar search

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly send us a screenshot and provide more details by answering the following questions:

• When you say "taskbar search function", do you mean the Start menu search field?
    • Are you getting any error messages upon accessing the taskbar search?
    Meanwhile, to help resolve your concern, we suggest that you run the System file checker and DISM tool to fix issues with corrupted system files that may be causing the issue. To do this, follow these steps:

• Press Windows Key + X on your keyboard.
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type or copy these commands followed by hitting Enter:

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Do let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, Dec 8, 2021
  4. D. Joe Win User

Search will not work through the taskbar

Taskbar search

Did not do anything to help. The search in File Explorer works fine. The first and last screen shot shows a search leading to no results but the file explorer finds them just fine. The last one shows my indexing options.

Thank you

PS: can't get the screenshots to upload....

D. Joe, Dec 8, 2021
Thema:

Search will not work through the taskbar

1. Search will not work through the taskbar - Similar Threads - Search through taskbar

2. Search will not work through the taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search will not work through the taskbar: I can't search my domain account. I can search my personal account. Searching in the taskbar does nothing. If I open a folder and try to search, the search box won't accept any input. I've tried the troubleshooter and PowerShell fixes to no avail. Any ideas?...
  3. Search will not work through the taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search will not work through the taskbar: I can't search my domain account. I can search my personal account. Searching in the taskbar does nothing. If I open a folder and try to search, the search box won't accept any input. I've tried the troubleshooter and PowerShell fixes to no avail. Any ideas?...
  4. Taskbar & Search not working

in Cortana
    Taskbar & Search not working: Hi,I'm running Windows 10 with all the latest updates.Since around xmas I've had problems with my taskbar not working. The windows button left click doesn't do anything. The search doesn't work. Cortana doesn't work. and the calendar doesn't work.Additionally, the search...
  5. Taskbar Search not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Search not working.: Just lately, my taskbar search hasn't been working. I've tried to research the problem on my own, but so far I've had no luck with solving it. Part of the problem is that it's hard to find my specific problem. A lot of entries deal with issues that are similar but not...
  6. Search is not working on the taskbar

in Cortana
    Search is not working on the taskbar: I have seen this pop up a few places...and I am not sure my issue is unique, but I want to try and understand how to fix it. Nothing happens when I click on the search in the taskbar. It just does not respond. I have tried running a search and indexing troubleshooter I...
  7. Search in Taskbar not Working

in Cortana
    Search in Taskbar not Working: Hi All, After updating my laptop to Windows 10 Education Version 2004, i discovered that the search bar in the taskbar doesn't work. I try to type in it after pressing the Windows button and nothing happens. I click in the search bar with my mouse and nothing happens. I was...
  8. Explorer and taskbar search not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer and taskbar search not working: Build 1904.338 When I click into the search bar the cursor doesnt appear, a black box briefly appears above and I cannot type. The same happens in the File Explorer search box. After many frustrating googles and many blind allys I am stuck trying to find out if the search...
  9. taskbar search not working

in Cortana
    taskbar search not working: taskbar search not accessing internet. windows 10 and latest version of edge https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-search-not-working/13b06201-7685-4e41-bdca-5c585878cf42
  10. Search on the taskbar not working

in Cortana
    Search on the taskbar not working: The Search function on the taskbar is not working properly. It pops up but nothing happens when you type something in it! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-on-the-taskbar-not-working/e4618d0c-eba7-42a7-aa3f-3ac7f4cdbd45"