Windows 10: Search window does not appear after last night's update

Discus and support Search window does not appear after last night's update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Not long time ago I upgraded to build 1607. Search window was working as expected. This morning I noticed that my computer was restarted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by amos, Oct 16, 2016.

1. amos Win User

Search window does not appear after last night's update

Hi

Not long time ago I upgraded to build 1607. Search window was working as expected.

This morning I noticed that my computer was restarted without any previous notice and apparently there were some updates. One of them failed to be installed so I re-installed it. Even before this, I noticed that the search window does not show when I click the magnifying glass. I was hoping that after installing the failed one and restarting my computer it will work but I guessed wrong.

What did happen was that when pressing the windows icon to open the start menu, I got a popup saying there was a problem and Windows will try to fix it in the next sign in, this window forced my to sign out and I did. I had to do it 3 times! to make the windows icon to work and now it does. The search button is still not working.

As I wrote the above, I now noticed that suddenly the start menu is dimmed! and not responding to my clicks, it was working OK until few moments ago.

I tried several fixes I read on the net, including the registry changes but that didn't help. Moreover, after doing so I had to sign out and sign in 3 times to make the start menu works again. I have neither search nor cortana in the task manager so I can't end them for windows to force restart so I'm out of options.

In windows settings, when I search for "search", the menu shows me "Cortana and search setting" but when clicking it, nothing happens. With other options like "windows update" for example, I get to the relevant window. Something is really messed up with my search/cortana.

Any help will be appreciated
    Thanks!

edit: After posting the above, the start menu is back to normal.... the search window is still not there

:)

2. SonarRO9 Win User

Will not reboot properly after update

Hello. After updating windows 10 on my computer last night the laptop will now not reboot properly. It will eventually let me into the system, but the Msn homepage will only partially appear after quite a wait and searching the internet is impossible.
    It will also not allow me into anything, including Control Panel and System Settings. Thought about restoring to a previous date but I can't get into it. Any ideas please?

SonarRO9, Oct 16, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Run DLL error message at startup

Hi Virginia, I appreciate your help!

The error message does not specify which program is the problem. Last night I ran malware software I downloaded from the Microsoft community and I have no malware. Windows Defender is enabled and my anti-virus software (Windows) is up-to-date. It's curious
    this error message just appeared after Microsoft sent the large update last week.

Thanks for your input.

CynthiaGood, Oct 16, 2016
  4. amos Win User

After posting the above, the start menu is back to normal.... the search window is still not there

5. Bree New Member
    The correct behaviour when you do that is that Cortana/Search should pop up at its 'Settings' view - just as it would if you could find Search and click its 'settings' cogwheel.

First right-click on an empty part of the taskbar and try changing the 'Cortana>Hidden, Show icon, show search box' settings a few times. If that fails (as it probably will) maybe the Windows Search service isn't running. Try the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\System and Security

Sounds like you may have more problems besides the missing 'search' - you could also try sfc /scannow and see if that can fix them.

6. amos Win User
    Thank you for your reply.

sfc /scannow found no problem
    troubleshooting of search didn't have my problem listed so I entered it manually but again it didn't find anything.

I did disabled windows search service long time ago because it had a high disk usage. The search was working fine until last night's update. I ran the windows search service but that didn't do anything though I didn't restart my computer and yet again, this service was disabled long time ago.

7. amos Win User
    The question went to the next pages very quickly, any kind of help will be appreciated
    Thanks

amos, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search window does not appear after last night's update - Similar Threads - Search window does

2. Apps windows appearance changed after last update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps windows appearance changed after last update: Hello I'm facing a problem that happened recently after the last update I got from microsoft. All apps appearance turned to this shape, I will include a screenshot showing the problem...
  3. Updated last night and now the Windows logo and search bar on the bottom are dead

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updated last night and now the Windows logo and search bar on the bottom are dead: Last night as I was shutting down I saw there were updates so I selected "update and shutdown" This morning everything started up as usual, but then noticed the Windows logo and search bar were unresponsive. The File Explorer is also quite laggy a few minutes to open. The...
  4. DESKTOP DISAPPEARED AFTER LAST NIGHT'S UPDATE

in Windows 10 Customization
    DESKTOP DISAPPEARED AFTER LAST NIGHT'S UPDATE: I logged on this morning and everything on my desktop is gone. Windows 10 / 64 Bit This is the update that was installed: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023057/update-reliability-for-windows-10-versions-1507-to-1909 I have tried the following: 1. Disabled...
  5. Windows UpDate From Last Night

Windows UpDate From Last Night: This thing is hung up. It reboots and I can get to the basic screen, but about half my icons don't render. Also, on the toolbar, my icons aren't there. The Windows icon in the bottom left corner is black and white and when you hover the mouse over it, you get the blue circle...
  6. Windows update last night

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows update last night: Just checkexc what was new after the update applied last night and can't find anything about Microsoft overwriting my personalisations. For instance you have removed my wallpaper and replaced it with a black screen and have changed my screensaver from "Windows 10 is ****" to...
  7. Slow computer after it updated last night

Slow computer after it updated last night: When my computer turned off last night it updated.....which is fine......but today it is REALLY slow!! What do I need to do to speed it up again? It's very frustrating to use for work! Thanks :)...
  8. Computer completely freezes after updating windows last night

Computer completely freezes after updating windows last night: I received help via the Microsoft chat support and had the problem fixed by updating my graphics driver. I was able to play games and browse the web that night but as I logged off it said it was updating. Bringing me to today where my computer crashes anywhere from 4-6...
  9. Last nights update failed.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Last nights update failed.: Since last nights update my computer won't take my pin number, says it is wrong. 65051
  10. Black screen after update last night

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen after update last night: Hi, This morning Sept 15 after the update to Win 10 1703 x64, 2 computers had a black screen when starting. Came to the blue Windows Logo then went black but with a moveable cursor after hearing open music. I closed them down and restarted them. One has come up...