Windows 10: Search window opens when I try "print" to a pdf file

Discus and support Search window opens when I try "print" to a pdf file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For some time, Windows 10's Search function has been behaving in a totally wacky way. Explorer gets STUCK in "search" mode for no good reason.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bwprager123, May 6, 2020.

1. Search window opens when I try "print" to a pdf file

For some time, Windows 10's Search function has been behaving in a totally wacky way.

Explorer gets STUCK in "search" mode for no good reason.

example: I print a file to .pdf, and rather than opening a "save" window from which to choose where to save the file, the computer says it is a SEARCH window. It then tells me WHY? that no such file or folder exists, and would I like to try another search?
    But I wasn't searching. I was printing to a .pdf file from a New York Times article, or from another website where there is a text I want to keep.

It's also not uncommon when I DO try to search for a document that the Explorer resists doing the search. And if it fails to find what I want, and I try to move to a different location on the drive to look, it insists that it is conducting the old search which I cannot escape from without shutting Explorer altogether.

Search intrusions like these, and I have no explanation for them.
    IF someone KNOWS about this, please let us know.

Please, no reason to reply with: "did you run [the usual list of Microsoft utilities like Checkdisk" etc. We know about those general file system repairs.

and p.s. Corona of course is not disabled, but definitely turned off as far as it's possible to do so.

Thanks!

:)

bwprager123, May 6, 2020

2. Unable to Print PDF files

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are unable to print a PDF file. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the make and model of the printer & PC?
    • Does this issue specific to a particular PDF file or all PDF file in the USB?
    • What is the program that you are using to open the PDF file in order to print?
    • Did you try printing any PDF file that is saved on the PC?
    • What happens when you try to print, do you get any error message/code?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform these steps from this article:

Fix printer connection and printing problems in Windows 10

Also, if you are using the Adobe application to print the PDF file, refer this article from Adobe:
    Troubleshoot PDF printing in Acrobat and Reader

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, May 6, 2020
  3. microsoft print to pdf files will not open after saving

We suggest that you save the PDF files on your device and check if the issue persists. You may also want to associate the PDF files to Microsoft Edge as the default program to make sure that you have a default application that will open all of your PDF files.
    Here are the steps:

• Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select the .pdf file type and then click the Change program button on the upper right of the
      Set Associations window.
    • Choose Microsoft Edge and then click OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, May 6, 2020
  4. Search window opens when I try "print" to a pdf file

Microsoft print to PDF cannot open the file in edge

Hi Steve,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Is this issue is specific to particular created PDF file?
    • What happens when you tries to open the created PDF file?
    • Do you get any error message/code? If yes, then provide the complete error message/code
    • Have installed any application which supports PDF files?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to perform the below methods:

Method 1: Update the Microsoft Print to PDF drivers from the device manager

Below link is an article on: How to update the drivers.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...566-b983195752c1/update-drivers-in-windows-10

Note: Navigate to go Device manager >
    Print queues
    > Microsoft Print to PDF

Method 2: Disable Print to PDF feature and enable it again.

• Press Windows Key + S and enter windows features. Select Turn Windows features on or off from the menu.
    • When Windows Features window opens, locate Microsoft Print to PDF and disable it. Click OK to save changes.
    • Restart your PC.
    • When the PC restarts, repeat the same steps and enable Microsoft Print to PDF again.
    • Click OK to save changes.

Note: After enabling the feature again, Print to PDF should be working again without any issues.

Please keep us posted with the status of the issue.

Thank you.

Punith_Kumar, May 6, 2020
Thema:

Search window opens when I try "print" to a pdf file

1. Search window opens when I try "print" to a pdf file - Similar Threads - Search window opens

2. when trying to save a file to microsoft print to pdf suddenly it is not showing file name...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when trying to save a file to microsoft print to pdf suddenly it is not showing file name...: in the past I was able to save a file to the Microsoft print to PDF file and the file name would show up on the save line file Name then I would select where to save the file now it is not showing the name on the file save name bar I have to highlight the name and copy then...
  3. when trying to save a file to microsoft print to pdf suddenly it is not showing file name...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    when trying to save a file to microsoft print to pdf suddenly it is not showing file name...: in the past I was able to save a file to the Microsoft print to PDF file and the file name would show up on the save line file Name then I would select where to save the file now it is not showing the name on the file save name bar I have to highlight the name and copy then...
  4. top of PDF file when opened by Windows no search within document?

in Windows 10 Customization
    top of PDF file when opened by Windows no search within document?: I have inserted an image of the top part of the PDF that opens on Windows when I download documents. It does not remotely look like the Adobe one that I have on my laptop.Is there NO way to search for something within the document like putting in a name somewhere? On my old...
  5. Trying to open a pdf file opens new File Explorer Search instance?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to open a pdf file opens new File Explorer Search instance?: I'm using: Edition: Windows 10 ProVersion: 20H2Installed: 10/‎6/‎2020OS build: 19042.1083Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0Each time I try opening a document/file, a new instance of File Explorer opens to the Search feature with a message telling me...
  6. APC Index Mismatch BSOD - When trying to print PDF files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    APC Index Mismatch BSOD - When trying to print PDF files: Hello! Yesterday I started receiving the BSOD for APC Index Mismatch whenever I attempted to print a PDF file. I would sincerely appreciate any assistance in solving this error. I print PDF files all throughout the day so this is really hindering my work. This just...
  7. Will not print PDF files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will not print PDF files: I can display the file, but cannot print attached PDF files that I am getting sent. So I have to use "Print display page" which is a god awfully slow process. I thought PDF files were universally accepted format. Do you know why it hangs up ? It just sits there, does...
  8. Search function not working when trying to save with Print to PDF

in Windows 10 Support
    Search function not working when trying to save with Print to PDF: The search function in windows explorer gets grayed out when trying to use Microsoft print to PDF. This used to work before and now has stopped. Is there anything that could've caused this to happen? 150355
  9. PDF print files

PDF print files: What inexpensive or free app or download is recommended to print to pdf large or custom paper sizes such as ArchD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pdf-print-files/ba3eb7df-2b84-401a-ab03-cc8ae2dcd5f7
  10. Printers not found message when trying to print a PDF

Printers not found message when trying to print a PDF: I get a Printers not found message when trying to print a PDF. I can print word documents with no problem. I am running Windows 10 and the HP printer is connected by cable to the PC. Any help will be appreciated....