Windows 10: Search won't find .mp4 file even though it is there

Discus and support Search won't find .mp4 file even though it is there in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I search for *.mp4 in Public Folders > Video, the results don't show the file. The problem is the file is in there. When I search *.* in Public... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Norbl, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Norbl Win User

Search won't find .mp4 file even though it is there

When I search for *.mp4 in Public Folders > Video, the results don't show the file. The problem is the file is in there. When I search *.* in Public Folders it is not shown either.

When I search the entire C: drive, though, it shows up in the Public Folders > Video directory.

This really has me confused.

:)

Norbl, Feb 21, 2016
  2. josekym Win User

3110c can't play mp4 videos

Petrib is right, your MP4 file should match the expected format of the phone. If it doesn't, then it wouldn't play properly. For example, I record an MP4 video at 640x480 and then play it on a device that only supports 320x240, then it won't play (although
    it is an MP4 file).

You could search and download Super. A free, universal converter for most audio/video formats (even for mobiles). =)

josekym, Feb 21, 2016
  3. Search features troubles

I am trying to search for some files by file type yet I have had the problem I am going to describe also with file names. Okay here is the scenario, I want to find all MP4 files in a given folder. I type in the search box mp4 or *.mp4, or MP4, or *.MP4 and
    the search result is no files found. I know there are mp4 files in this folder, I went to a folder that contained multiple mp4 files but when I hit search "no files found". The folder had multiple files:

HDV_201.MP4

HDV_202.MP4

HDV_203.MP4

HDV_204.MP4

I search for HDV and "no files found"

What gives?

Phil

pnaughton76, Feb 21, 2016
  4. Archie123 Win User

goto control panel , then indexing options then select modify and make sure your public folder is selected to be indexed , if its not select it . . . obv *Wink once its been indexed search will find it

Archie123, Feb 21, 2016
  5. Norbl Win User
    From what I've learned and read, indexing only makes searches faster. It doesn't preclude something from being found.

Also, since it the file showed up in the search of the entire C: drive which is not indexed, something else it going here.

Norbl, Feb 22, 2016
  6. I've also had problems with wildcard searches in Windows 10.

nigelmercier, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search won't find .mp4 file even though it is there - Similar Threads - Search won't find

2. COPIED .MP4 FILES WON'T PLAY!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COPIED .MP4 FILES WON'T PLAY!: I have copied several hundred .mp4 movie files from my WD 5TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive over to a newly acquired 16TB portable SSD drive. A small quantity of the copied files plays fine on the SSD, but the majority of the files don't! The properties of the...
  3. MP4 files won't play

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MP4 files won't play: So I download a lot of meme videos and for some reason after I watch a few downloaded they just stop playing and is stuck on the black screen of Movies and tv which is where I watch them the only fix I know of is by restarting my computer but I don't want to have to do that...
  4. MP4 files won't play

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MP4 files won't play: So I download a lot of meme videos and for some reason after I watch a few downloaded they just stop playing and is stuck on the black screen of Movies and tv which is where I watch them the only fix I know of is by restarting my computer but I don't want to have to do that...
  5. MP4 files won't play

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files

in Cortana
    Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files: Hi all. Suddenly when I search a folder and all subfolders for *.* or *.odt it won't find them based on date modified but instead based on date created. Very unhelpful. This doesn't appear to be the case for other filetypes. Not only that but search WILL find them on a thumb...
  7. Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files: Hi all. Suddenly when I search a folder and all subfolders for *.* or *.odt it won't find them based on date modified but instead based on date created. Very unhelpful. This doesn't appear to be the case for other filetypes. Not only that but search WILL find them on a thumb...
  8. Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Windows explorer search finds no results even though i can see the file listed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer search finds no results even though i can see the file listed: Hi Greg. I can type in the search cell but it says "No results found" i re-indexed last night and this morning it worked but then this afternoon it doesnt. Ive tried restarting Explorer in task manager with no change. My IT friend has checked all settings and says in theory...
  10. Windows search won't find certain files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows search won't find certain files: I'm having a strange issue with Windows search. I have a folder with dozens of articles saved in PDF format. If I open the folder and use the search bar to find a particular file by name it shows zero results. If I navigate to the immediate outer folder in which the article...