Windows 10: Searching, but why can't I find them?

Discus and support Searching, but why can't I find them? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have folders that contain daily files of data from my router. I have been trying to files named ConnectionStats that are followed by a date, so the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chipwood, Jan 30, 2018.

1. chipwood Win User

Searching, but why can't I find them?

I have folders that contain daily files of data from my router. I have been trying to files named ConnectionStats that are followed by a date, so the full nam would be for example: ConnectionStats-yyyy-mm-dd-hh.mm.ss.
    Searches on ConnectionStats-yyyy succeed if the yyyy is 2018, but fail if 2017.
    Why?*Confused What am I missing?
    PS it may look silly to be looking for files, when I know their locations, but they are among numerous others in the daily folders, so I intend to copy the files to elsewhere for easier access.

:)

chipwood, Jan 30, 2018
  2. jackrezai Win User

store

Hi

I said "i can't searching on store and when I go to new+rising app or game I nothing find it"

why???????

jackrezai, Jan 30, 2018
  3. Why can't I find Cortana?

This is re my question Why can't I find Cortana - above.

Thank for your reply, but I am afraid that it did not answer the question. Everytime I go to where I should find it, I find a message that Cortana is not available in my region. However, my region is the UK near London, my settings are for the UK, and from
    time to time in my search I am informed that Cortana is turned on. If it is, why don't I know it, and why can't I see this notebook and so on?

This is an answer to your follow-up enquiry. I'm beginning to feel a bit despondent about the search

Thank you

Therese Revell

ThereseRevell, Jan 30, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, searching is less straightforward than it might appear.

1. Are you using file explorer search or Cortana?
    2. Whilst both use Windows search, they behave differently. Cortana search has file type filters, and it makes a big difference what you select.
    Compare these:

Searching, but why can't I find them? [​IMG]

Searching, but why can't I find them? [​IMG]

3. Cortana will only find indexed files, whereas a file explorer search finds both indexed and non-indexed.
    Are your files indexed by Windows search?
    a. Is their location specified to be indexed in Indexing Options?
    b. Has the index been able to update?

4. File explorer search works down from the point in the file structure at which explorer is open. Thus your location ustbe below that point in the file system hierarchy.

5. The file name looks odd - is there an extension?

6. In a previous Windows build Cortana would not find any form of executable file. That restriction has been removed.

What is your Windows build?
    Windows key + R, winver

7. What search strings have you tried?
    Have you tried using * as a wild card?

dalchina, Jan 30, 2018
  5. chipwood Win User
    Thank for that very detailed reply. It happens that I have found the source of my problem.

The program permits snapshot files in the daily folder as either date, time, name; or name, date, time. January files are in the former style, earlier in the latter. Renaming all would be a gargantuan task.

I'll copy your reply for reference. *Smile

chipwood, Jan 31, 2018
  6. lx07 Win User
    You could look into Bulk Rename Utility

It lets you reformat file names in bulk and you can add/remove rearrange bits of your file names based on criteria you supply.

Best to backup first in case you get your renaming criteria wrong though.

7. dalchina New Member
    Glad you resolved it.

Very commonly recommended here: 1 of the extremely useful free search tools that index files and folders (not content) then provide find-as-you-type results (instant).

I like Locate32 - older, but does everything you need, including FAT32 which Everything doesn't.
    Everything by void tools (uses more resources)
    Ultrasearch

Some optionally add search found text documents (not indexed by content)

These just work.

dalchina, Jan 31, 2018
  8. chipwood Win User

The name parts of the files vary in length. I'm not sure if Bulk rename could cope with that.

chipwood, Jan 31, 2018
  9. lx07 Win User
    It can.

You would need to identify the date part (using a mask like "d/mm/YYYY") and then move it. Similarly with time masking perhaps "12:12:12".

It will only work if you have some consistent standards you can change. It only changes text with no validation so it would happily change 01/31/2018 to 31/01/2018 if that is what you asked. It doesn't know if 31 is a month or a day.

If not you can split them (so files with dates in DDMMYY are in a different directory to files with MMDDYY). After that swapping order is easy.

Likewise - if you have a space or some other separator at some point it should be possible to see where file name ends and date begins. This needs to be a specific character combination. For example a period and a space followed by a number or some such.

They have good forums or (if you want) you can explain your format here and I'll try to help.

10. chipwood Win User
    Thanks for suggestion.

chipwood, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Searching, but why can't I find them? - Similar Threads - Searching why can't

2. Can't find apps in search bar

in Cortana
    Can't find apps in search bar: I resetted my pc and kept my files and I reinstalled most of the app by now but when I try to search for them in the search bar they won't appear for some reason. I got this with nearly every app I recently downloaded except office 365. How do I solve this problem?...
  3. Can't find apps in search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find apps in search bar: I resetted my pc and kept my files and I reinstalled most of the app by now but when I try to search for them in the search bar they won't appear for some reason. I got this with nearly every app I recently downloaded except office 365. How do I solve this problem?...
  4. Help I can't find the "Search" in windows settings!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help I can't find the "Search" in windows settings!!!: So I am watching a video where on one step you have to go to settings and click search but i can't find it. Here is the thing I am wanting to do: https://youtu.be/A8CLiTUTcp4?t=228 submitted by /u/CyberLuka098 [link] [comments]...
  5. Why can't I search in the "Type here to search" box?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why can't I search in the "Type here to search" box?: Hello My computer have Windows 10, and recently I found out that, I can type in the "Type here to search" box, but there nothing coming up... its really annoying. I don't know what to do? Hope you guys can help me ;...
  6. I can't find the search box in start

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't find the search box in start: I can't find the search box in start https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-find-the-search-box-in-start/be3945d0-efae-4aa8-bdcf-78a5a5909b79
  7. windows search can't find d:drive

windows search can't find d:drive: When i type in the windows search bar it doesn't seem like it finds files from all of my drives. My entire D:drive is missing. I have tried adding them in index settings but the drive wasn't there. To me this seems like a hardware problem but i just want to be sure....
  8. Windows search finds files but will not open them

in Cortana
    Windows search finds files but will not open them: Windows 10 search finds all the files I am looking for, but when I click on any of them either nothing happens, or if it's a folder, only an Explorer windows opens up to location "This PC". If I restart the search service, it will work properly for a few hours/days, and...
  9. why can't i find app in the search box but can in apps & features?

why can't i find app in the search box but can in apps & features?: settings apps apps & features[ATTACH] start button all apps[ATTACH] why can't i find "Atom" in the second screen but can in the first one? how can i fix this?...
  10. Why Can't Windows Search Find My File - Why Was Topic Moved?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why Can't Windows Search Find My File - Why Was Topic Moved?: I created a thread in General Support called Update Removed Windows 7 Games about a Windows Update that removed my Windows 7 games. The update also caused other problems which I specified in the thread, but that topic has now been moved to the Gaming sub-forum. I think the W7...