Windows 10: Searching exact filename, not partial

Discus and support Searching exact filename, not partial in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have many files and few of them ends in two different ways. "[#Z Karaoke]" and "[Z Karaoke]" If I want to search only the "#Z Karaoke" but NOT show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by William_Smith_2020, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Searching exact filename, not partial

I have many files and few of them ends in two different ways. "[#Z Karaoke]" and "[Z Karaoke]"

If I want to search only the "#Z Karaoke" but NOT show the "Z Karaoke" , How I do that?

If I write "[#Z Karaoke]"or "[#Z", both file names, with the # and without the # comes up.

If I write just "[#" or "#", every single file from the folder comes up.

Is like I cannot search the ones with the #Z only.

:)

William_Smith_2020, Jan 23, 2021

2. Windows Search for exact filename and extension only

If you want to match only filenames and not file contents, you can qualify the search with name: like:

If you want an exact filename match, you can qualify the search with name:= like:

Stephen Rauch, Jan 23, 2021
  3. DmBu Win User
    Searching by known filename exact or partial, has no results.

I am in DESKTOP folder and searching for files with the exact name and I KNOW they are in the Desktop folder as I am looking directly at them, the search window yields no results "No items match your search". Downloads and Docs behave the same way.

Other folders works fine inside and outside of C:\. What in the heck is going on?

4. Try3 Win User

Searching exact filename, not partial

Search only filenames, not contents

Yes, that's right.

Searching exact filename, not partial [​IMG]

Windows search [including File explorer searching] can get awkward with sophisticated searches so quite a few people only use it for the most basic things and turn to third-party utilities for anything fancy. Some third-party search utilities have already been mentioned in this thread. Personally, I use NirSoft's SearchMyFiles

Welcome to TenForums,
    All the best,
    Denis

Thema:

Searching exact filename, not partial

1. Searching exact filename, not partial - Similar Threads - Searching exact filename

2. Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?

in Cortana
    Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?: Filenames including text and numbers requires two-handed search for trained typists. In Windows 7, I could find files using num pad with one hand when files were found using partial filenames.Is this possible in Windows 10?...
  3. Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?: Filenames including text and numbers requires two-handed search for trained typists. In Windows 7, I could find files using num pad with one hand when files were found using partial filenames.Is this possible in Windows 10?...
  4. Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer: I use ~<22 in File Explorer to search for images with filenames starting with '22' the year they were taken. Some images whose file names do not start with '22' are included in the result. They are of File Type 'Adobe Photoshop Image.22'Is there a way to prevent these...
  6. Windows search partially working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows search partially working: I've got an interesting situation, I have a windows server with multiple drives and multiple file shares, about once a week windows search stops working on just one drive (C:) searching anything on that drive returns white unclickable icons and wrong metadata (like file...
  7. Searching by known filename exact or partial, has no results.

in Cortana
    Searching by known filename exact or partial, has no results.: I am in DESKTOP folder and searching for files with the exact name and I KNOW they are in the Desktop folder as I am looking directly at them, the search window yields no results "No items match your search". Downloads and Docs behave the same way. Other folders works fine...
  8. exact search

in Windows 10 Support
    exact search: i saw another thread with similar problems,but i need to search "( .)",not (.) ["space point" not only "point"].when i make my search,i find all files with (.).how can i find the exact match? 150465
  9. Can't search partial filenames when search index is OFF

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't search partial filenames when search index is OFF: As an example ive made a folder with two folders "example1234" and "example-1234" and two files with the same names. "example1234.txt" and "example-1234.txt". Searching "ex" finds them all correctly. Searching "xa" finds nothing. Searching "123" finds only the folder...
  10. Search only filenames, not contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Search only filenames, not contents: Is it possible to prevent Windows search from indexing the contents of documents and archives, restricting results to filenames only? 41399