Windows 10: Searching folders that contain dots in the name

Discus and support Searching folders that contain dots in the name in Cortana to solve the problem; I have a set of development folders - each root folder has names with dots in them. i.e. "Myfolder.webapi" and sometimes "myfolder.webapi.myproduct".... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by MarkDav99, Mar 23, 2021.

1. MarkDav99 Win User

Searching folders that contain dots in the name

I have a set of development folders - each root folder has names with dots in them. i.e. "Myfolder.webapi" and sometimes "myfolder.webapi.myproduct". all these are legal file names. Each of these folders is being automatically added to the excluded list in search classic or advanced. These folders contain regular files and subdirectories.

Is there a way to index these folders?

This is for Windows 10 20H2.

Many thanks, Mark.

:)

MarkDav99, Mar 23, 2021

2. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

Carlos: Thanks for your reply. What you suggest is what I have been doing. I search for folders with a specific name and get a list. Then I have to search each folder for a specific file. So it's a two step search and that's what I was trying to avoid.

I assume there are applications out there that allow for an "AND" search in Windows. I'll try that approach.

Thanks, again.

MarkMcDonough45, Mar 23, 2021
  3. steve108 Win User
    What is the Container folder and why is it missing?

They have 5 steps listed? Can you not get the files they mention in step 5? I can't tell if Containers is the name of a Windows file or just an internal reference or what.

steve108, Mar 23, 2021
  4. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

1. Searching folders that contain dots in the name - Similar Threads - Searching folders contain

2. Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...: Hello everyone,I have a folder called "Test folder" as it appears in the following path: D:\Test folderand in Test folder i have other folder called "welcome - welcome", notice that the name contains Hyphen-Minus. See the following image:now, when I copy the name of the...
  3. Change User AppData Containing folder name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change User AppData Containing folder name: Hi everyone,Thanks in advance for reading and if you have a solution, then thanks for helping too! Actually my windows app data containing folder name is this -> C:\Users\Windows 10 but I want to change it to this -> C:\Users\saikatzahid2001I tried to rename it, but there...
  4. Change User AppData Containing folder name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change User AppData Containing folder name: Hi everyone,Thanks in advance for reading and if you have a solution, then thanks for helping too! Actually my windows app data containing folder name is this -> C:\Users\Windows 10 but I want to change it to this -> C:\Users\saikatzahid2001I tried to rename it, but there...
  5. Change User AppData Containing folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Searching Windows 10 folders that contain a "." in the folder name

in Cortana
    Searching Windows 10 folders that contain a "." in the folder name: //Edited title I have a set of development folders - each root folder has names with dots in them. i.e. "Myfolder.webapi" and sometimes "myfolder.webapi.myproduct". all these are legal file names. These folders themselves contain regular files and subdirectories....
  7. Unknown folder containing a string of letters and numbers as the folder name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown folder containing a string of letters and numbers as the folder name.: I've been pondering of this file that appeared within the local disk area, it's name is a very strange mix of letters and numbers which makes no sense to me at all. Within the file, is a bunch of Eula files that I, even as an administrator, cannot open. Once I've scouted for...
  8. Cannot play back MP4 file due to file name containing dot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot play back MP4 file due to file name containing dot.: I download movie files from website and format of file name is xxxx EP.01, xxx EP.02, etc. It means episode 1, episode 2 I cannot play back. there is a message box informing that the file type is 01 or 02 ???? Windows 10 cannot recognize it. I have to change file name to...
  9. Searching for files names containing symbols

in Cortana
    Searching for files names containing symbols: I have a folder containing files which I named with = in the name e.g. "Richmond Division====". They have anything from 1-6 ='s in the name. I want to be able to search for these files, say all the files with four ='s. When I try it comes up with no results. Is there a way...
  10. "Windows 10 folders with dot before names have no names"

in Windows 10 Support
    "Windows 10 folders with dot before names have no names": I encountered this issue in several occasions. If I created a folder named Test.123, only Test was shown, 123 was hidden. I also had a sub-folder in my main drive mysteriously with no name. After the fix, it turns out the folder has a name beginning with a dot. The tip using...