Windows 10: searching for 8.3 file and directories with ~ in the name

Discus and support searching for 8.3 file and directories with ~ in the name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In Win 10, when using robocopy I accidently entered the wrong parameter /FAT causing several directory and file namesto be converted to 8.3 format... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by reklaw#XD, Feb 2, 2020.

1. reklaw#XD Win User

searching for 8.3 file and directories with ~ in the name

In Win 10, when using robocopy I accidently entered the wrong parameter /FAT causing several directory and file namesto be converted to 8.3 format before I could stop it.

Does anyone know a simple way to find them, they would have a tilde ~ in the name?

I have tried dir [drive]*~*.* bit it ignored the tilde and listed everything. I tried dir ????????.??? and that returned long names.

:)

reklaw#XD, Feb 2, 2020

2. Searching for files with names containing the searched word, not just starting with the word.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching for the content on Windows.

I suggest you to Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter
    and check.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Also, type the entire name of the file and check if it results the same.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 2, 2020
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Feb 2, 2020
  4. searching for 8.3 file and directories with ~ in the name

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

searching for 8.3 file and directories with ~ in the name

1. searching for 8.3 file and directories with ~ in the name - Similar Threads - searching file directories

2. Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination: Dear Microsoft,I really enjoy using and developing software using your products. However, in a current development project, I have an issue that I need to be able to have longer directory names and longer file names, and often times I must shorten the lengths of filenames and...
  3. Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination: Dear Microsoft,I really enjoy using and developing software using your products. However, in a current development project, I have an issue that I need to be able to have longer directory names and longer file names, and often times I must shorten the lengths of filenames and...
  4. How to change name in file directory

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change name in file directory: Hello, I've changed my name in my Microsoft account and computer settings, but some places such as my file paths still display my old name C:\Users\[oldname]; is there any way to change this or is this particular area not possible to change unless I reset the computer? I'm on...
  5. The file name , directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The file name , directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect: I am getting this error while installing a driver for a microcontroller programmer. I have tried many methods like changing drive, renaming the setup or folder but nothing works for me. I tried installing the same driver on another computer having Win10 , there it works fine....
  6. The file name , directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The file name , directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect: [ATTACH]I am getting this error while installing a driver for a microcontroller programmer. I have tried many methods like changing the drive, renaming the setup or folder but nothing works for me. I tried installing the same driver on another computer having Win10, there it...
  7. Saved file search generates "Directory name is invalid" error message

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saved file search generates "Directory name is invalid" error message: I have a group of users that are joined to a domain. They reported that when they save file search and then try to open files from this file search they get the directory name invalid error. I have verified this and even found that the issue will persist whether the saved...
  8. Cannot open files from saved search - "The directory name is invalid"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot open files from saved search - "The directory name is invalid": Since the 2008-08 Cumulative Update Preview KB4571744 installed earlier today, I have been unable to open files directly from saved searches in Windows Explorer. The problem exists with all my saved searches. All the files are shown but when I try to open any of them, I get...
  9. Search for file by substrings in file name

Search for file by substrings in file name: Say that I am looking for a file named Bernie_1234.ext If I use 1234 as the search string, the file is found. If I use 234 as the search string, nothing is found. If I use Ber as the search string, the file is found. If I use ernie as the search string, nothing is...
  10. how do I use windows explorer to search the contents of a directory of files for the 3...

how do I use windows explorer to search the contents of a directory of files for the 3...: how do I use windows explorer to search the contents of a directory of files for the 3 character literal "." (the quotes are part of the literal I am searching for)? Thanks !!!...