Windows 10: searching for a specific string in File Explorer

Discus and support searching for a specific string in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I used to have lots of MP3 files on my network drive that began with "01)." or "02)." etc. I have converted most of them to begin "01" or "02" etc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Andy-Pandy, Dec 5, 2019.

1. searching for a specific string in File Explorer

I used to have lots of MP3 files on my network drive that began with "01)." or "02)." etc. I have converted most of them to begin "01" or "02" etc. but now I would like to do a search or "01)." to find any I may have missed but when I search for that it gives me all occurrences of "1"; ")" etc. I came across a post that said to put it in twice [ viz "01)." "01)."] but that made no difference. Has anybody got any ideas?

:)

Andy-Pandy, Dec 5, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Searching for documents with a specific text string

Assuming search indexing is working properly: note that File Explorer search should behave as you expect, if settings correct; Cortana search, on the other hand, will ONLY find indexed documents, and there are options to click on to select searching Apps, Documents, Music etc. (see Filters in Cortana's Window, top right)

Note settings that could stop this happening:

searching for a specific string in File Explorer [​IMG]

- per file

searching for a specific string in File Explorer [​IMG]

- per file type

dalchina, Dec 5, 2019
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Dec 5, 2019
  4. Matt_316 Win User

searching for a specific string in File Explorer

Searching Within Files

I have tried searching within files in Windows 10 for a string. However, through testing, it seems that when the string being searched for does not have a space in front, it ignores it. E.g. if the text in the file is 'The quick brown fox' and I search
    for 'quick', it will list the file. But if the search string is 'ick', then the file will not be listed despite the text obviously being there. Any suggestions?

Matt

Matt_316, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

searching for a specific string in File Explorer

1. searching for a specific string in File Explorer - Similar Threads - searching specific string

2. Searching for a specific phrase >1000 in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching for a specific phrase >1000 in file explorer: Hi there, thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I am trying to search for the phrase ">1000" in 1000's of word documents. If I search for >1000 or even just the > symbol in the file contents it brings up almost every document listed. Is this because the search...
  3. Searching for a specific phrase >1000 in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Searching for a specific phrase >1000 in file explorer: Hi there, thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I am trying to search for the phrase ">1000" in 1000's of word documents. If I search for >1000 or even just the > symbol in the file contents it brings up almost every document listed. Is this because the search...
  4. Searching for exact strings with Windows Explorer

in Cortana
    Searching for exact strings with Windows Explorer: This used to work really well for me until an update and now new computer. It hasn't worked well since, but now it's not working at all. I thought it used to work by putting a single quote around the string for which I wanted to search. I have a folder with Word files....
  5. What is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?: File Explorer has a search box in the upper right. If I type the string ~* then it doesn't just search for filenames starting with tilde. Somehow I found that I can type file:~"*~*" and it finds all filenames containing a tilde. But tomorrow I might want to search for...
  6. Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?: File Explorer has a search box in the upper right. If I type the string ~* then it doesn't just search for filenames starting with tilde. Somehow I found that I can type file:~"*~*" and it finds all filenames containing a tilde. But tomorrow I might want to search for...
  7. Searching for duplicate text strings in File Explorer - Windows 10

Searching for duplicate text strings in File Explorer - Windows 10: I've several external data drives with many, many files and directories. Many files are duplicated and I would like to eliminate the duplicates. The syntax for the duplicates is, for example: "file name n.docx" where n is a number, usually 1, 2 or 3. Using the community...
  8. Searching specific files using File Explorer

Searching specific files using File Explorer: a) search for dedicated folders e.g. music folders using explorer. b)speed up the awful win 10 search engine so I do not have to look at an expanding ribbon for what seems ages. Thank you, I very much hope I will not be directed to starting windows with a clean boot and...
  9. I need to search for specific words in File Explorer

I need to search for specific words in File Explorer: I need to search for two specific words ("ocean glass"). When I search on these two words I get a plethora of hits, none of which contain my short word string. What am I doing wrong, please?...
  10. Searching for documents with a specific text string

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for documents with a specific text string: In WinXP it was possible to search for documents that have a specific text string (meaning a phrase or a word) WITHIN them. In other words, you type in some word or phrase and the "find" function in XP turns up all the documents that contain it. Is it possible to do...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. search file explorer for specific string

2. windows 10 file explorer content search specific phrase