Windows 10: Searching for Brackets within a file name windows 10 ie "2"

Discus and support Searching for Brackets within a file name windows 10 ie "2" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I haven't done this for many years, but my failing memory seems to recall it was easy, just type in the search query within the parenthesis and up it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by akoobra, Jul 5, 2020.

1. akoobra Win User

Searching for Brackets within a file name windows 10 ie "2"

I haven't done this for many years, but my failing memory seems to recall it was easy, just type in the search query within the parenthesis and up it would pop. ie all the files that have 2 would show. Now it gets everything with a 2 in it. Hopefully there is a simple way that I am missing. Nothing on google or bing search helps.

:)

akoobra, Jul 5, 2020
  2. Matt_316 Win User

Searching Within Files

I have tried searching within files in Windows 10 for a string. However, through testing, it seems that when the string being searched for does not have a space in front, it ignores it. E.g. if the text in the file is 'The quick brown fox' and I search
    for 'quick', it will list the file. But if the search string is 'ick', then the file will not be listed despite the text obviously being there. Any suggestions?

Matt

Matt_316, Jul 5, 2020
  3. Searching within files in Windows 7 in 2019

I would like a way in windows explorer to search within files in addition to searching for file names. It may not be possible to search within all file types. Thats ok if there is a list of file extensions and ranges for last modified date on the file which
    work now. For example, with a "doc" extension which last modified date ranges work, and how to specify?

Is there a way to search within pdf files? What are the restrictions?

LangStallard, Jul 5, 2020
  4. Matt_316 Win User

Searching Within Files

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, this doesn't help. None of the suggestions on the page you linked show how to search for a string
    directly within a larger one. I.e. a test file that I tried started with the sole text 'something'. When I searched for 'some' it listed the file. However, I then put letters around the text: 'asomethingb'. Note that there is no space between the
    'a' and the 's'. Entering the search string 'some' now, does not list the file. If I did not know the characters preceding the search string, I would not be able to find the file. From past experience, I know I was able to locate a file that way with previous
    versions of Windows. However, this version, at least, necessitates the need for a space pior to the search result in the file, or at least the preceding character to be known and therefore entered.

Matt_316, Jul 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Searching for Brackets within a file name windows 10 ie "2" - Similar Threads - Searching Brackets within

2. Windows 10 file name search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 file name search: I am trying to segregate all of my file names for purchases. Is there a way to search for all of the file names that contain a certain word such as AMAZON? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-name-search/d804060f-8bcc-4af9-ae98-d0958ce73333
  3. Windows 10 file name search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 file name search: I am trying to segregate all of my file names for purchases. Is there a way to search for all of the file names that contain a certain word such as AMAZON? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-name-search/d804060f-8bcc-4af9-ae98-d0958ce73333
  4. Windows 10 file name search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Search in Windows 11 not searching within files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search in Windows 11 not searching within files: Since updating to Windows 11 have ongoing problem with search in file manager only searching document name, not contents. All search properties are set for searching content and I have done all recommended troubleshooting. At one point I managed to get it working after...
  6. Search in Windows 11 not searching within files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search in Windows 11 not searching within files: Since updating to Windows 11 have ongoing problem with search in file manager only searching document name, not contents. All search properties are set for searching content and I have done all recommended troubleshooting. At one point I managed to get it working after...
  7. How to remove device name in brackets?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove device name in brackets?: On my volume control menu, my Speakers/Headphones appear as Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) etc. I would like to remove the (Realtek High Definition Audio) section. Thank you. submitted by /u/swiffyandrun [link] [comments]...
  8. Windows won't search within .SAS files

Windows won't search within .SAS files: For some reason, my Windows no longer searches keywords in the .SAS files on my computer. They're .SAS format, but they have a plain text filter. This was working up to about a week ago, so it's mysterious what settings could have been changed in a recent update. 1. I've...
  9. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name: Hi. I can easily search for folders with a name like "Business". But then I want to find any files in just those folders named "Assets". Can I either make a search using something like AND or can I search for files just within the folders I searched for to begin with. In...
  10. Search functionality within File Explorer

Search functionality within File Explorer: I read a post from 2017 stating that the functionality to default search preference to "current folder" within the File Explorer is not possible. Has this since changed as it has now been 2 years and it is actually very frustrating to navigate through endless files or have...