Windows 10: Searching for documents with a specific text string

Discus and support Searching for documents with a specific text string in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In WinXP it was possible to search for documents that have a specific text string (meaning a phrase or a word) WITHIN them. In other words, you type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Alfred001, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Alfred001 Win User

Searching for documents with a specific text string

In WinXP it was possible to search for documents that have a specific text string (meaning a phrase or a word) WITHIN them.

In other words, you type in some word or phrase and the "find" function in XP turns up all the documents that contain it.

Is it possible to do this in 10? I can't seem to find a way.

:)

Alfred001, Mar 5, 2017
  2. MichelB62 Win User

Searching for a particular string in a document using Windows Explorer?

Hi Darian,

The 'magnifying glass' to the left of the start button? Never thought about using that. When I enter Life of Brian in that search box I get the articles I'm looking for. That solved my problem ;-D

I was used to search using Windows Explorer, by going to the directory with the files I want searched, and entering my search string in the search box to the top right of Explorer. Strange that this (more obvious) way does not work, but searching
    with the 'magnifying glass' does.

Thanks

MichelB62, Mar 5, 2017
  3. MichelB62 Win User
    Searching for a particular string in a document using Windows Explorer?

For my research I have a large collection of pdf documents in a folder. I would like to search for a particular string in these documents, for instance 'Life of Brian'. If I search on these 3 words, or add double quotes around this string, I find a lot of
    documents that contain the word 'of'. That is not helping me. Is there a way to search for the literal string "Life of Brian" using Windows Explorer, or any other tool?

-- Moved by Community Moderator to appropriate language--

MichelB62, Mar 5, 2017
  4. wyldman68 Win User

In File Explorer click in the search location. You should now see a search in the tool bar at the top.

wyldman68, Mar 6, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Assuming search indexing is working properly: note that File Explorer search should behave as you expect, if settings correct; Cortana search, on the other hand, will ONLY find indexed documents, and there are options to click on to select searching Apps, Documents, Music etc. (see Filters in Cortana's Window, top right)

Note settings that could stop this happening:

Searching for documents with a specific text string [​IMG]

- per file

Searching for documents with a specific text string [​IMG]

- per file type

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Searching for documents with a specific text string - Similar Threads - Searching documents specific

2. Control Key Usage for Text String

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control Key Usage for Text String: To set up a custom keyboard shortcut on Windows 11, please follow the steps below:> Open the Start menu and select the Settings app.> Click on the Time & language tab.> Select the Language & region navigation option.> Click the … button for your basic typing pack listed in...
  3. Control Key Usage for Text String

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Control Key Usage for Text String: To set up a custom keyboard shortcut on Windows 11, please follow the steps below:> Open the Start menu and select the Settings app.> Click on the Time & language tab.> Select the Language & region navigation option.> Click the … button for your basic typing pack listed in...
  4. Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...: Hello All, I've just upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 a few days ago. I have noticed that the 'File Explorer' tab is severely lacking in function. I need the ability to search for very specific, unusual key words or names in my historic .docx Word Documents and Pdf's. I'm very...
  5. Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...

Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...: Hello All, I've just upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 a few days ago. I have noticed that the 'File Explorer' tab is severely lacking in function. I need the ability to search for very specific, unusual key words or names in my historic .docx Word Documents and Pdf's. I'm very...
  6. Multi String Search - Search Multiple Strings At Same Time!

Multi String Search - Search Multiple Strings At Same Time!: Hi guys, Just to share with you "Multi String Search", a portable tool that allows multiple strings to be searched at same time. Multi String Search (Web Page) [img] 166155
  7. Searching for duplicate text strings in File Explorer - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching for duplicate text strings in File Explorer - Windows 10: I've several external data drives with many, many files and directories. Many files are duplicated and I would like to eliminate the duplicates. The syntax for the duplicates is, for example: "file name n.docx" where n is a number, usually 1, 2 or 3. Using the community...
  8. searching for a specific string in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    searching for a specific string in File Explorer: I used to have lots of MP3 files on my network drive that began with "01)." or "02)." etc. I have converted most of them to begin "01" or "02" etc. but now I would like to do a search or "01)." to find any I may have missed but when I search for that it gives me all...
  9. Looking for a Text to string application

Looking for a Text to string application: Hello I'm looking for an application or a web site that I will use to record good quality mp3 file from a string. Type a text and the output is a spoken mp3 file I was using few years ago AT&T application, but this site is down now Martin 26503
  10. Windows 10 string text search problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 string text search problem: I recently updated from 8.1 to 10 and discovered that windows stopped searching inside odt files, in content. It only search in file names. Earlier in 8.1 it worked perfectly fine. I tried to: rebuild index, made sure folder is indexed (it is, searching inside doc or rtf...