Windows 10: Searching for exact strings with Windows Explorer

Discus and support Searching for exact strings with Windows Explorer in Cortana to solve the problem; This used to work really well for me until an update and now new computer. It hasn't worked well since, but now it's not working at all. I thought it... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Mark17MI, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Mark17MI Win User

Searching for exact strings with Windows Explorer

This used to work really well for me until an update and now new computer. It hasn't worked well since, but now it's not working at all. I thought it used to work by putting a single quote around the string for which I wanted to search.

I have a folder with Word files. How do I search for any string with 'xyz' in it?

The approached described in this thread does not work at all for me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-windows-explorer-10-file-contents-for/aa7e860e-7e7a-4fc0-a43a-362380b6b114 .

Thank you!

:)

Mark17MI, Apr 2, 2021
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Search string

Use ~ [tilde] to denote an exact search

• enclose the search term in "
    • include * if there is anything before the string / after it otherwise the search will think you are looking for a string at the start / end
    • include filename: if that is relevant [it speeds things up by avoiding contents searching].

For example, these both found the correct result

~"*o p*"

filename:~"*o p*"

Searching for exact strings with Windows Explorer 5f4fd96b-c9a3-4938-a7da-e8b9dfd144ed.png

Denis

Tryx3, Apr 2, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Apr 2, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

exact search

Here's a really simple intuitive way using Locate 32: just enclose the search string in " "

Searching for exact strings with Windows Explorer [​IMG]

(Locate32 is a free find-as-you-type indexing tool).

Unfortunately file explorer search does seem to recognise \ as an escape character, or the use of hex representation, for example.

dalchina, Apr 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Searching for exact strings with Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Searching exact strings

2. What is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?: File Explorer has a search box in the upper right. If I type the string ~* then it doesn't just search for filenames starting with tilde. Somehow I found that I can type file:~"*~*" and it finds all filenames containing a tilde. But tomorrow I might want to search for...
  3. Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?: File Explorer has a search box in the upper right. If I type the string ~* then it doesn't just search for filenames starting with tilde. Somehow I found that I can type file:~"*~*" and it finds all filenames containing a tilde. But tomorrow I might want to search for...
  4. How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents - explorer

How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents - explorer: Hi, I am after some help, this question has been asked several times in the community but the suggestions are not working so I will ask again maybe somebody found a workaround. Windows 10 - How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents? I am searching daily through 1000...
  5. Multi String Search - Search Multiple Strings At Same Time!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multi String Search - Search Multiple Strings At Same Time!: Hi guys, Just to share with you "Multi String Search", a portable tool that allows multiple strings to be searched at same time. Multi String Search (Web Page) [img] 166155
  6. Searching for duplicate text strings in File Explorer - Windows 10

Searching for duplicate text strings in File Explorer - Windows 10: I've several external data drives with many, many files and directories. Many files are duplicated and I would like to eliminate the duplicates. The syntax for the duplicates is, for example: "file name n.docx" where n is a number, usually 1, 2 or 3. Using the community...
  7. Windows Explorer search - find the exact match

Windows Explorer search - find the exact match: I'm serching for files that has the 1 appended to the name If I enter "1" the search returns all files that has "1" in the name. How to turn off this annoying behavior?...
  8. exact search

in Windows 10 Support
    exact search: i saw another thread with similar problems,but i need to search "( .)",not (.) ["space point" not only "point"].when i make my search,i find all files with (.).how can i find the exact match? 150465
  9. searching for a specific string in File Explorer

searching for a specific string in File Explorer: I used to have lots of MP3 files on my network drive that began with "01)." or "02)." etc. I have converted most of them to begin "01" or "02" etc. but now I would like to do a search or "01)." to find any I may have missed but when I search for that it gives me all...
  10. Win10 Explorer Search / Force only exact hits

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Explorer Search / Force only exact hits: Hi, how do I search for "2017-" without receiving results like "2017" ? Rt now although in quotes, its still pulling out any random similarity. http://files.panodome.com/uploads01/...1532251038.jpg (image insert in forum not working) [ATTACH] Regards, Frank 114539

Users found this page by searching for:

1. search specific string in windows