Windows 10: searching for files and folders

Discus and support searching for files and folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I seem to remember that in Windows 8 and 8.1, if I searched for a file but didn't remember the exact name of the file, I could type part of the name... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mr Mag00, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Mr Mag00 Win User

searching for files and folders

I seem to remember that in Windows 8 and 8.1, if I searched for a file but didn't remember the exact name of the file, I could type part of the name and the file would be found. But in Windows 10, if I don't type the whole name, and spell it correctly, it just doesn't find the file! Is there any way to change that?

:)

Mr Mag00, Aug 16, 2016
  2. Jamey Epp Win User

Searching in Linked Folders-File Explorer

I currently have hundreds of sub folders that have a lot of Pdf's in them. Each pdf hase a unique file name. In the past I have always went to the search and found anything I needed. We are rebuilding the way we file things at our company and now these
    sub folders will be put into a lot of job specific folders. I don't know how I'm going to quickly search for these names anymore. Is there a way to link all theses subfolders in one main folder and be able to search in all them at once??

Jamey Epp, Aug 16, 2016
  3. Searching in Linked Folders-File Explorer

If the folders are scattered all over, then you may create a "saved search" file which searches only the folder locations you define. The example provided here can help.

Searching with Windows Explorer in Windows 10 for folders across - Microsoft Community :

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/searching-with-windows-explorer-in-windows-10-for/b29fff09-afd4-4a7d-bc06-860b22607066

And here is Microsoft's documentation on Saved Search File Format (Windows) : Saved Search File Format (Windows)

You can add as many additional search parameters or queries (AQS) in the saved search file, as desired.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 16, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Try using "*" at the beginning of the search term.

AndreTen, Aug 16, 2016
Thema:

1. searching for files and folders - Similar Threads - searching files folders

2. Searching folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching folders: When I search a folder for a word or number, I get one or more files. When I search for exactly the same word or number in the file, I sometimes get a NOT FOUND result. How is that? Am I doping something wrong?...
  3. Folder "Search" not deleting old file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder "Search" not deleting old file names: For some reason my computer isn't deleting old file names. Example: I have a picture named "Bob 1.0". I then change the name to "Bob 2.0". I then move that picture from Folder 1A to Folder 2B. When I do a search for "Bob" I get three results: I get "Bob 1.0", "Bob 2.0" in...
  4. Searching hidden files/folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching hidden files/folders: This is what I do: In explorer, browse to C:/Username Start a search there containing a folder name I know is in C:/Username/Appdata/Local The folder does not appear in search Hidden files and folders are marked to be visible everywhere. It seems like recursive search...
  5. Sorting File Explorer Search output by Folder path

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sorting File Explorer Search output by Folder path: Possibly after editing, this may be useful as a tutorial -- but note the problem at the end ... (sorting in Windows File Explorer may not always work correctly). I tried to include all of the steps. I did not know how to capture a screen shot of the active window while...
  6. Searching for files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for files and folders: I seem to remember that in Windows 8 and 8.1, if I searched for a file but didn't remember the exact name of the file, I could type part of the name and the file would be found. But in Windows 10, if I don't type the whole name, and spell it correctly, it just doesn't find...
  7. Searches Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Searches Folder: Under pc>user there is a folder called "searches." There are two sub folders under searchers called 'everywhere' an 'indexed locations.' There is over 128,000 items in everywhere. Is it safe to delete either of this sub folders contents? 90039
  8. Search Files and Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Files and Folders: In previous versions of Windows, one could press the start button and at the bottom of the column there was a blank space where you could enter a filename and locate it on the hard drive. I can't find this tool on Windows 10. Is it there? Peter 69103
  9. Search result - Move folders instead of file

in Windows 10 Support
    Search result - Move folders instead of file: I have done a search for all files with the word e.g. "dvd" in the filename.. It returns a list of files result.. The problems is I want to move the folder/s that contains those files not just the file on it's own.. How can I do this? 72661
  10. How do I fix File Folder Searching

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I fix File Folder Searching: I am using a Dell XPS 15 (9550) with an i7-6700HQ, and 16gb ram. This laptop is used as my main work desktop, so this is my mule. As of last month up until now, something changed and I don't understand what it could have been. My folder searching does NOT work. [img]...