Windows 10: Searching for files names containing symbols

Discus and support Searching for files names containing symbols in Cortana to solve the problem; I have a folder containing files which I named with = in the name e.g. "Richmond Division====". They have anything from 1-6 ='s in the name. I want... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by EvMaher-Brooks, May 2, 2019.

1. Searching for files names containing symbols

I have a folder containing files which I named with = in the name e.g. "Richmond Division====". They have anything from 1-6 ='s in the name. I want to be able to search for these files, say all the files with four ='s. When I try it comes up with no results. Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks

:)

EvMaher-Brooks, May 2, 2019

2. Searching for files with names containing the searched word, not just starting with the word.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching for the content on Windows.

I suggest you to Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter
    and check.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Also, type the entire name of the file and check if it results the same.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, May 2, 2019
  3. Bowlsys Win User
    Compare a text file containing file names with files in a folder

Hi,
    I have a text files containing a list of file names and I wish to compare that to a folder with files in it.
    The folder contains a rather large number of files and I want to see if files in that folder exist in the file with the list of file names.

Hope I have explained my problem clearly.

Would appreciate any help
    Thanks

Bowlsys, May 2, 2019
  4. Searching for files names containing symbols

Searching for files with names containing the searched word, not just starting with the word.

Searching for files with names containing the searched word, not just starting with the word.

Basically I'm searching a textures folder for any files with a name containing "Glasses"

Whenever I search "Glasses" it pull up files like

Glasses_M.dds

Glasses_d.dds

GlassesHorned_d.dds

However when I look through them manually I've found files like

FancyGlasses_d.DDS

Because "Glasses" isn't the first word in that file it doesn't come up in search....

Q: How do I do a search for everything containing the phrase and not just the files that start with the phrase?

Thanks for any and all help

RextTheGreat, May 2, 2019
Thema:

Searching for files names containing symbols

1. Searching for files names containing symbols - Similar Threads - Searching files names

2. delete all files containing Autodesk. in their name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    delete all files containing Autodesk. in their name: Hi,I am uninstalling a software named autocad from my PC. It is from Autodesk.inc. I struggle because there are files and little programs every where.Is it ok to type in the search bar of my computer "autodesk" and delete all the files and folders with it in the name ?I am...
  3. delete all files containing Autodesk. in their name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    delete all files containing Autodesk. in their name: Hi,I am uninstalling a software named autocad from my PC. It is from Autodesk.inc. I struggle because there are files and little programs every where.Is it ok to type in the search bar of my computer "autodesk" and delete all the files and folders with it in the name ?I am...
  4. File Name should not contain special character

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Name should not contain special character: File Name should not contain special character https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-should-not-contain-special-character/33c60b93-6eaf-431c-a6e7-241edde7e640
  5. File Name should not contain special character

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Name should not contain special character: File Name should not contain special character https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-should-not-contain-special-character/33c60b93-6eaf-431c-a6e7-241edde7e640
  6. File Name should not contain special character

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Searching Windows 10 folders that contain a "." in the folder name

in Cortana
    Searching Windows 10 folders that contain a "." in the folder name: //Edited title I have a set of development folders - each root folder has names with dots in them. i.e. "Myfolder.webapi" and sometimes "myfolder.webapi.myproduct". all these are legal file names. These folders themselves contain regular files and subdirectories....
  8. Searching folders that contain dots in the name

in Cortana
    Searching folders that contain dots in the name: I have a set of development folders - each root folder has names with dots in them. i.e. "Myfolder.webapi" and sometimes "myfolder.webapi.myproduct". all these are legal file names. Each of these folders is being automatically added to the excluded list in search classic...
  9. FILE EXPLORER ADDS SYMBOLS TO FILE NAMES

FILE EXPLORER ADDS SYMBOLS TO FILE NAMES: Hi - hope someone can help. I was unable to get most of my photos to open and now I'm having the same problem with all files. The files I had named, such as,APPLE PIE, now reads ._APPLE PIE. In Photos, the icons and names of these files is usually faded and a message says...
  10. How do I search for a file containing certain words in the name?

How do I search for a file containing certain words in the name?: What steps do I follow to search for a file on my computer/drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-search-for-a-file-containing-certain/5f25bdfb-e98b-46e5-9a07-dfdcca8dcc22"