Windows 10: Searching for files names with numbers

Discus and support Searching for files names with numbers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; HI, I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and new laptop. All of my invoices are named after the invoice number, for example 2020-5075 but after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Til Nagle, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Til Nagle Win User

Searching for files names with numbers

HI,

I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and new laptop. All of my invoices are named after the invoice number, for example 2020-5075 but after upgrading to the new laptop, I can't search with numbers. I see the file but it says "no items match you search" but I can see the file!

:)

Til Nagle, Mar 13, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Mar 13, 2020
  3. OldW7Guy Win User
    File Explorer Search fails wildcard partial numeric name search.

The indexing trouble shooter did not find any problem.
    System File Check result was: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.10586.0 found No component store corruption detected.

I do not believe that my system has any problem as the wildcard partial numeric name search issue occurs on all Windows 10 systems of family and friends.
    I believe the priority of this issue should be raised because the Search Results vary depending on the number of files involved creating confusion and incorrect results. With less than 40 files the wildcard partial numeric name search returns the correct
    results. With more than 50 files the wildcard search becomes a whole number search only listing files that have the exact number. With *2345 in the search box and more than 50 files in focus, Search will Not list 123456.txt but will only list 2345.txt.
    With less than 40 files in focus All files with any numeric string containing 2345 will be listed.

OldW7Guy, Mar 13, 2020
  4. Searching for files names with numbers

Searching for files with names containing the searched word, not just starting with the word.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching for the content on Windows.

I suggest you to Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter
    and check.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Also, type the entire name of the file and check if it results the same.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

Searching for files names with numbers

1. Searching for files names with numbers - Similar Threads - Searching files names

2. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer: In File Explorer, how to search for any filename with a space before the period? * .* doesn't work -- returns all files.More generally, where are the syntax and other rules for searching in File Explorer?thanksK...
  3. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer: In File Explorer, how to search for any filename with a space before the period? * .* doesn't work -- returns all files.More generally, where are the syntax and other rules for searching in File Explorer?thanksK...
  4. Searching for a name using a phone number.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching for a name using a phone number.: Hello! I'm looking for a way to make a rule where I can have a search engine at the top of my excel sheet. Essentially, I want to search someones phone number and in a separate cell I want it to say their name. Can anyone help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated!...
  5. Searching for a name using a phone number.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Searching for a name using a phone number.: Hello! I'm looking for a way to make a rule where I can have a search engine at the top of my excel sheet. Essentially, I want to search someones phone number and in a separate cell I want it to say their name. Can anyone help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated!...
  6. Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????: I have maybe 500 files in a folder, one file for each model of our products. The thing about the model names is that the number of the model is at the end of the file name, like C19QZHW203 and the name of the next model number might be C19WRZT204, in other words, I cant sort...
  7. Search for file by substrings in file name

Search for file by substrings in file name: Say that I am looking for a file named Bernie_1234.ext If I use 1234 as the search string, the file is found. If I use 234 as the search string, nothing is found. If I use Ber as the search string, the file is found. If I use ernie as the search string, nothing is...
  8. searching with file explorer for just file names

searching with file explorer for just file names: Name:XYZ file explorer will list filenames, folder names, shortcuts etc. NO. I just want filenames! How to do i get that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-with-file-explorer-for-just-file-names/733d9215-8cb9-49fc-ae2d-3559c6e1e642"
  9. Elongated file names after file search

in Windows 10 Support
    Elongated file names after file search: I get odd looking results after I do a file search with list view or small icons. All fine when explorer normally displays in windows 10 but it looks like the file name is padded out with some extraneous characters.. Any thoughts or is this normal? Thanks John [img]...
  10. Search file names question!

in Windows 10 Support
    Search file names question!: Hello! Currently, when I search within folders, it only searches the beginning of the file names. Is there a way to search within the file names? Like you can when you press ctrl + f in a body of text. Thank you!! 51660