Windows 10: Searching for special characters

Discus and support Searching for special characters in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all! I just purchased a new Dell with Windows 10. I had a Dell with Windows XP SP3 for ages, and when I made the mistake of updating one of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TwilightTiger, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Searching for special characters

Hi all! I just purchased a new Dell with Windows 10. I had a Dell with Windows XP SP3 for ages, and when I made the mistake of updating one of my drivers... Well, it was getting to be time to update... I've a few more grey hairs now.

Anyway, in my old machine, when I modified a file, I would just append a "-2" or "-3" to the file name, ie. File005-02.html. This made searches very easy, as I could just search for -2 and it would list all the files I'd changed. I have my old drive slaved into my new pc, but I can't seem to figure out what Win10 wants to search for just "-2". Win10 gives me all the files with a 2 in the name or inside the file, completely ignoring the dash, which returns a huge number of files.

Is there a quick way to do a simple search for files with a dash, underscore, or other special character in the filename?

Can I turn off the "search inside the file" function, so that it just searches filenames?

Thanks!

:)

TwilightTiger, Sep 7, 2016

2. Alt + num. pad. NNNN special characters: Does it work in W-10?

Hi Brian,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

You can use Character map app to have a special characters in the Windows 10.

1) Search for Character map in the search box and then try to set it up the special characters.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Sep 7, 2016
  3. cricfancy Win User
    Cannot synchronize Contacts

Hi,

As you mentioned its very tough to check in 1000 contacts of yours. My clue for you would be, kindly check if any of your contact's First/Last name has got special characters (!@$^$@#&(L: #@&)%)__+_(&). You can
    search the same in nokia communication centre - contact's search option. In Vista pcs, if any of your phone's contact names contains any special characters(accidently - knowingly or unknowingly), remove the special character from your contact's name and then
    check Searching for special characters :)

cricfancy, Sep 7, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Searching for special characters

To find any file containing -2 search for filename:*-2:

Searching for special characters [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge.)

Search parameter filename:* followed by any special character searches for that character in file names. For example searching for filename:*& finds all files with an ampersand (&) in filename, search filename:*_ finds all files with an underscore in file name, search filename:*, finds all files with a comma in file name.

Kari, Sep 7, 2016
  5. Terrific, that works. I thought the * was just a wildcard; that's what all the help faqs said. If you leave off the filename: it pulls everything with a 2 in it. It's a bit odd that MS would make a simple search that cumbersome.

Thank you so much!

TwilightTiger, Sep 8, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    You are welcome *Smile

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Searching for special characters

1. Searching for special characters - Similar Threads - Searching special characters

2. special character is not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    special character is not working: i am supporting couple companies and recetly have lot of issue with my users , the sepcial characters is not working and mostly users passwrd are include these characters and they cant log into their softwares and their account get locked , mostly after a reboot it back to...
  3. special character is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    special character is not working: i am supporting couple companies and recetly have lot of issue with my users , the sepcial characters is not working and mostly users passwrd are include these characters and they cant log into their softwares and their account get locked , mostly after a reboot it back to...
  4. special character is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. typing special characters

typing special characters: I've searched everywhere for an answer to this - it's actually a 2-part question. - I know that with a numeric keypad you can type the guillemet symbol via alt+124/125, but on a laptop pc with no numeric keypad is there a way to type it without always copying and pasting? I...
  6. typing special characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    typing special characters: I've searched everywhere for an answer to this - it's actually a 2-part question. - I know that with a numeric keypad you can type the guillemet symbol via alt+124/125, but on a laptop pc with no numeric keypad is there a way to type it without always copying and pasting? I...
  7. Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?

Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?: I have hundreds of plain text files chat logs, to be specific, and I need to find instances of a phrase explicitly in SQUARE BRACKETS e.g. [Phrase Here]. The phrase in question appears very often without the brackets, so trying to manually sort through File Explorer search...
  8. Network share searching excludes special characters

in Cortana
    Network share searching excludes special characters: Hi, I am having trouble with searching shared drives with special characters, for example, searching for this "ESUB 4000058 - urgent" results in no items found searching for this: "ESUB 4000058" lists a few results, it also will find "ESUB 4000058-urgent"...
  9. special character ¥

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    special character ¥: I usually use three languages, English, Traditional Chinese and Japanese. And I, always, need to type the specail character "¥" using the keyboard combination of [ALT]165, but this cannot be done using English language keyboard, it will return a "?", only when I switch to...
  10. Special characters in Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Special characters in Win10: Hi, we have a bit of a weird issue with special characters. (kind of hard to explain but I`ll try) We are currently running a Win10 pilot, and the users are saying that the special characters, like é and õ, differs from Windows 7, even though the language input (norwegian) is...