Windows 10: Searching PDF's

Discus and support Searching PDF's in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, thanks for you help. I do a lot of research for topics in economics and philosophy. Many of the resources that I use are in the public domain. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by George C, May 28, 2016.

1. George C Win User

Searching PDF's

Hi, thanks for you help. I do a lot of research for topics in economics and philosophy. Many of the resources that I use are in the public domain. I am trying to find a convenient way to download this documents to my computer and maintain them in a searchable form. One of the easiest formats to find these documents is PDF, but PDF is not easily searchable to my knowledge with the software that I have available.

I have Windows 10 and Office online (Office 365?)

Can anyone make suggestions regarding techniques, formats or software?

Thank you.

:)

George C, May 28, 2016
  2. RachJ Win User

Error - explorer.exe - the data area passed to a system call is too small

I had this problem in explorer.exe after searching for a .pdf file.

Instead of opening the .pdf file directly from the search results, right click on the .pdf file, open file location, then open the file.

RachJ, May 28, 2016
  3. Microsoft Print to PDF, troublesome T attribute

Use BulkFileChanger (from Nirsoft) or PowerShell command to unset "T" attribute. More here:

Windows Search Not Listing Microsoft Print to PDF Files - The Winhelponline Blog :

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/search-not-indexing-pdf-ms-print-to-pdf/

Related Links

MS Print to PDF adds the "T" (temporary) attribute when writing to PDF which causes Windows Search to skip the file.

Microsoft Print to PDF, troublesome T attribute

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/103237

fsutil | oasysadmin

Ramesh Srinivasan, May 28, 2016
  4. Rocky Win User

Searching PDF's

Rocky, May 28, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hello, I expect you are aware that there are different types of pdfs. Some are image based- so the text page is a picture, and so not editable or searchable.

You can convert such pdf's to searchable pdfs using e.g. Abbyy Finereader or Paperport.. or other software capable of OCR.

Note that Windows search using explorer will search text based pdf's where the folder they are in has been indexed.
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

Your search text has to be in ""
    This is probably little known.

Example:

Searching PDF's [​IMG]

If I simply entered *.pdf I would get a lot of files.
    This does not work where the folder is not in the Indexing Options (see Control Panel).

Tools like Google Desktop Search (not supported, still works) can maintain an 'instantly' searchable index.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Searching PDF's

1. Searching PDF's - Similar Threads - Searching PDF's

2. Cant folder search pdf files in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant folder search pdf files in Windows 11: used to be able to do a windows 10 folder search into contents of a pdf file ......... but now it cannot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-folder-search-pdf-files-in-windows-11/0694a5d6-5ade-419d-a3e6-cf6106ffe8cf
  3. Cant folder search pdf files in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant folder search pdf files in Windows 11: used to be able to do a windows 10 folder search into contents of a pdf file ......... but now it cannot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-folder-search-pdf-files-in-windows-11/0694a5d6-5ade-419d-a3e6-cf6106ffe8cf
  4. How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?: I just bought a new laptop with windows 11 installed. When I double-click on a pdf file, it opens in Microsoft Edge. When I do a cl+f, it can't find the text in the file.I can't find the Adobe Acrobat Reader in the Apple Store. I am unable to find a good free app in the store...
  5. How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?

How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?: I just bought a new laptop with windows 11 installed. When I double-click on a pdf file, it opens in Microsoft Edge. When I do a cl+f, it can't find the text in the file.I can't find the Adobe Acrobat Reader in the Apple Store. I am unable to find a good free app in the store...
  6. What's up with PDF search Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's up with PDF search Windows 11: I noticed Windows 11 Explorer was not finding content I searched for within a PDF. After rebuilding the index and checking that settings in both Indexing Options and Windows Explorer were correct I eventually changed iFilter provider from Sumatra to Adobe. I noticed an...
  7. What's up with PDF search Windows 11

What's up with PDF search Windows 11: I noticed Windows 11 Explorer was not finding content I searched for within a PDF. After rebuilding the index and checking that settings in both Indexing Options and Windows Explorer were correct I eventually changed iFilter provider from Sumatra to Adobe. I noticed an...
  8. Searching Microsoft for "microsoft print to pdf" "windows 11" results in everything except...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching Microsoft for "microsoft print to pdf" "windows 11" results in everything except...: I am sick and tired of searching Microsoft for "keyword 1" "keyword 2" without getting anything on Keyword 1 and Keyword 2.I was hoping to find how to download and install "microsoft print to pdf" on "windows 11".Help, please....
  9. Searching Microsoft for "microsoft print to pdf" "windows 11" results in everything except...

Searching Microsoft for "microsoft print to pdf" "windows 11" results in everything except...: I am sick and tired of searching Microsoft for "keyword 1" "keyword 2" without getting anything on Keyword 1 and Keyword 2.I was hoping to find how to download and install "microsoft print to pdf" on "windows 11".Help, please....
  10. pdf \ Arabic cannot search

pdf \ Arabic cannot search: Hello Please help I always get trouble with using some pdf files ,which their content is Arabic, and especially when I search for a word or phrase inside. It does not offer a fully search even it is not treated by OCR.For example, one file when I copy and paste a content from...