Windows 10: Searching PDF's

Discus and support Searching PDF's in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, thanks for you help. I do a lot of research for topics in economics and philosophy. Many of the resources that I use are in the public domain. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by George C, May 28, 2016.

1. George C Win User

Searching PDF's

Hi, thanks for you help. I do a lot of research for topics in economics and philosophy. Many of the resources that I use are in the public domain. I am trying to find a convenient way to download this documents to my computer and maintain them in a searchable form. One of the easiest formats to find these documents is PDF, but PDF is not easily searchable to my knowledge with the software that I have available.

I have Windows 10 and Office online (Office 365?)

Can anyone make suggestions regarding techniques, formats or software?

Thank you.

:)

George C, May 28, 2016
  2. RachJ Win User

Error - explorer.exe - the data area passed to a system call is too small

I had this problem in explorer.exe after searching for a .pdf file.

Instead of opening the .pdf file directly from the search results, right click on the .pdf file, open file location, then open the file.

RachJ, May 28, 2016
  3. Microsoft Print to PDF, troublesome T attribute

Use BulkFileChanger (from Nirsoft) or PowerShell command to unset "T" attribute. More here:

Windows Search Not Listing Microsoft Print to PDF Files - The Winhelponline Blog :

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/search-not-indexing-pdf-ms-print-to-pdf/

Related Links

MS Print to PDF adds the "T" (temporary) attribute when writing to PDF which causes Windows Search to skip the file.

Microsoft Print to PDF, troublesome T attribute

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/103237

fsutil | oasysadmin

Ramesh Srinivasan, May 28, 2016
  4. Rocky Win User

Searching PDF's

Rocky, May 28, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hello, I expect you are aware that there are different types of pdfs. Some are image based- so the text page is a picture, and so not editable or searchable.

You can convert such pdf's to searchable pdfs using e.g. Abbyy Finereader or Paperport.. or other software capable of OCR.

Note that Windows search using explorer will search text based pdf's where the folder they are in has been indexed.
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

Your search text has to be in ""
    This is probably little known.

Example:

Searching PDF's [​IMG]

If I simply entered *.pdf I would get a lot of files.
    This does not work where the folder is not in the Indexing Options (see Control Panel).

Tools like Google Desktop Search (not supported, still works) can maintain an 'instantly' searchable index.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Searching PDF's

1. Searching PDF's - Similar Threads - Searching PDF's

2. PDF search in Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF search in Edge: until recently, I was able to search a PDF document in Edge using the CTRL + F switch. Now, when I try and use that function, it will only search the page I am on. I have looked all over trying to find the option to search the entire document and cannot find it....
  3. Search within many PDF's?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search within many PDF's?: Trying to see if I can search within PDF files. Lets say I have 600 individual PDF files. They all have non-descript file names due to automatic file numbering when the data gets produced. Lets say I want to search within this folder and find which PDF file contains "Mary...
  4. What happened to searching pdf contents in Windows Explorer?

What happened to searching pdf contents in Windows Explorer?: For my job, I often have to search a folder full of large pdf files for a specific name. I used to just be able to type the name in the upper right search bar, and it would search the contents of the pdf's for that name/word, and show the pdf's that contained it. Now, when...
  5. Win Server 2019 file server, cannot find PDF's if windows search indexer enabled.

Win Server 2019 file server, cannot find PDF's if windows search indexer enabled.: Hello, We have Windows Server 2019 Standard as file server network share and Windows 10 workstations. When turn on Windows Search indexing it takes whole weekend to index I cant find any PDF's when searching with pdf filename. Even if I go with File Explorer to...
  6. A software which can search large pdf for a word in an instant

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A software which can search large pdf for a word in an instant: I have used my kindle I can search for a word very fast even though it has poor CPU because it creates some registry,what can be a software which can mimic this thing on windows? large pdf file like 500 mb submitted by /u/imevilx [link] [comments]...
  7. PDF files won't delete, move or copy--yes I've searched it.

PDF files won't delete, move or copy--yes I've searched it.: Moving stuff into a new computer and some files won't move, copy or even delete. It's obviously a permission problem and I am wondering if my only choice is to contact each and every publishing house, Some will be easy enough, like Ziff Davis and others from magazines. In...
  8. Search window opens when I try "print" to a pdf file

Search window opens when I try "print" to a pdf file: For some time, Windows 10's Search function has been behaving in a totally wacky way. Explorer gets STUCK in "search" mode for no good reason. example: I print a file to .pdf, and rather than opening a "save" window from which to choose where to save the file, the computer...
  9. cannot search anymore my pdf files

cannot search anymore my pdf files: Hello since today my windows 10 is not able to search pdfs correctly. given a folder containing >1000 pdf files, I want to list all the files containing a given keyword within the document. I was able to do that until yesterday using windows explorer and typing the keyword...
  10. Search function not working when trying to save with Print to PDF

in Windows 10 Support
    Search function not working when trying to save with Print to PDF: The search function in windows explorer gets grayed out when trying to use Microsoft print to PDF. This used to work before and now has stopped. Is there anything that could've caused this to happen? 150355