Windows 10: Searching through indexed text files in Win10 specifically for fragments containing special...

Discus and support Searching through indexed text files in Win10 specifically for fragments containing special... in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello,I have a folder indexed in Win10 with the *.txt file type included in the index.I have three files in the indexed folder:temp1.txt contents:... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Eric Forums, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Searching through indexed text files in Win10 specifically for fragments containing special...

Hello,I have a folder indexed in Win10 with the *.txt file type included in the index.I have three files in the indexed folder:temp1.txt contents: noise foo more_noisetemp2.txt contents: noise _foo more_noisetemp3.txt contents: noise .foo more_noiseI am trying to select the files with ".foo" in the file contents an indexed text filefoo => too general"foo" => too general.foo => returns the same results as foo".foo" => returns the same results as foo?foo => too general"?foo" => too generalcontent:foo => too gene

:)

Eric Forums, Jan 29, 2022

2. Windows 10 Search not finding certain file NAMES; indexing on OK, no special characters in name

Hi Mike,

Since you're having issues with searching files on your computer, we recommend that you rebuild the Windows Search index and check if the issue persists. You may refer to the steps below to verify indexed locations:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Find the section labeled Indexing Options.
    • In the Indexing Options window, make sure that Windows is indexing the location of your files.
    • Click the Modify button to see the list of all locations in your computer.
    • Find the folder that contains your files that you will indexed.
    • Check the box.
    • Click OK.

To rebuild the Windows Search index, follow the steps below:

• Go back to Control Panel.
    • Click on Indexing Options.
    • Click the Advanced button and make sure that you're on the Index Settings tab of the Advanced Options windows.
    • Under the Troubleshooting section, click the Rebuild button.
    • Click OK to accept the warning and start the re-indexing process.

Do update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Stephanie Sal, Jan 29, 2022
  3. Searching for files with names containing the searched word, not just starting with the word.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching for the content on Windows.

I suggest you to Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter
    and check.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Also, type the entire name of the file and check if it results the same.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 29, 2022
  4. pjfarr Win User

Searching through indexed text files in Win10 specifically for fragments containing special...

Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??

Thanks Lance. Most of that I know already. I was asking for syntax to specifically find folders containing a certain file type i.e. photos.

For instance a search string that would in effect request: "List all folders on drive D containing photos" or "List all folders on drive D containing videos" and have just the folders containing those files, not the files themselves, listed in the results.

pjfarr, Jan 29, 2022
Thema:

Searching through indexed text files in Win10 specifically for fragments containing special...

1. Searching through indexed text files in Win10 specifically for fragments containing special... - Similar Threads - Searching through indexed

2. Problem with Win10 "Search and Indexing".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Win10 "Search and Indexing".: Hi,I discovered this by trying to search for a particular image in a directory of images and it wasn't found even though it was there. I even tried searching for *.jpg which returns "No files found".I used the "Search and Indexing" troubleshooter and found it was not running...
  3. Problem with Win10 "Search and Indexing".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Win10 "Search and Indexing".: Hi,I discovered this by trying to search for a particular image in a directory of images and it wasn't found even though it was there. I even tried searching for *.jpg which returns "No files found".I used the "Search and Indexing" troubleshooter and found it was not running...
  4. Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?: I have hundreds of plain text files chat logs, to be specific, and I need to find instances of a phrase explicitly in SQUARE BRACKETS e.g. [Phrase Here]. The phrase in question appears very often without the brackets, so trying to manually sort through File Explorer search...
  5. Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?: I have hundreds of plain text files chat logs, to be specific, and I need to find instances of a phrase explicitly in SQUARE BRACKETS e.g. [Phrase Here]. The phrase in question appears very often without the brackets, so trying to manually sort through File Explorer search...
  6. Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?

7. Searching through indexed text files in Win10 specifically for fragments containing special...

Searching through indexed text files in Win10 specifically for fragments containing special...: Hello,I have a folder indexed in Win10 with the *.txt file type included in the index.I have three files in the indexed folder:temp1.txt contents: noise foo more_noisetemp2.txt contents: noise _foo more_noisetemp3.txt contents: noise .foo more_noiseI am trying to select the...
  8. Searching through indexed text files in Win10 specifically for fragments containing special...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching through indexed text files in Win10 specifically for fragments containing special...: Hello,I have a folder indexed in Win10 with the *.txt file type included in the index.I have three files in the indexed folder:temp1.txt contents: noise foo more_noisetemp2.txt contents: noise _foo more_noisetemp3.txt contents: noise .foo more_noiseI am trying to select the...
  9. How to search for files that contain a text phrase?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to search for files that contain a text phrase?: how can I search for a file that contains a specified phrase, but may be in any directory or file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-search-for-files-that-contain-a-text-phrase/5044fb8d-6db8-4d94-8f0b-2d7d4dd3a556
  10. Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??

in Windows 10 Support
    Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??: Does anyone know if there is a syntax for finding all folders containing certain types of files? Like if I wanted to find every folder on my D drive containing photos (and have just the folders listed in the search results.) Or find every folder containing ebooks, whatever....