Windows 10: Searching Windows - Find my Files - Excluded Folders - Please HELP someone

Discus and support Searching Windows - Find my Files - Excluded Folders - Please HELP someone in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Can I re-add my excluded folders I deleted in Searching Windows? Earlier today for some reason I open settings and found myself on the Search -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BARRY G.VARGUS Sr., Aug 11, 2019.

1. Searching Windows - Find my Files - Excluded Folders - Please HELP someone

Can I re-add my excluded folders I deleted in Searching Windows?

Earlier today for some reason I open settings and found myself on the Search - Searching Windows. Then I saw the Classic button (circle) checked. Then below that, it read Excluded Folders with a small list of I guess you would call them pathways to Folders. I ended up without asking somebody I know with the proper knowledge or even this community, deleting all of the Excluded Folders. Because I thought to myself "what's the sense of searching something and not checking all your folders, you might not find something you're searching for if it's in an Excluded Folder". Then after seeing the indexing numbers start to double and keep on adding numbers I thought about it again saying it will take forever Searching Windows with these type of numbers, (even though I don't know exactly what those numbers represent). Also, the manufacturer or HP might have excluded these folders on purpose for a good reason. I never excluded any folders but I now badly want that list of Excluded Folders put back up on the Searching Windows page in settings.

So long story a little shorter does anybody out there know how I can best undo my actions of deleting my Excluded Folders. Is there hopefully some kind of easy to understand the way of getting back my same exact Excluded Folders that were listed this morning?

Respectfully,

Barry

:)

BARRY G.VARGUS Sr., Aug 11, 2019
  2. Clock404 Win User

Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded

Hello,

My Windows start menu Windows search is showing results from the AppData folder despite the AppData folder being set as an excluded folder. My Windows 10 "Searching Windows" setting is set to classic and the excluded folder is clearly shown on the list.
    The issue persists ever after rebuilding the index. How can I fix this?

Clock404, Aug 11, 2019
  3. File History won't exclude folders

I just tried to exclude C:\Users\Donny\Downloads using the legacy control panel File History interface. When I clicked "Select Folder" the folder was added to the excluded folders list. When I clicked "Save changes" and went back into the excluded folders
    list, C:\Users\Donny\Downloads was not listed at all.

So certainly not fixed for me.

Donny Murgatroyd, Aug 11, 2019
  4. neuroking Win User

Searching Windows - Find my Files - Excluded Folders - Please HELP someone

File History won't exclude folders

The 'remove this drive' technique appeared to work, but when I checked the drive, the folders were still being backed up. Opened the modern file history settings and the folders were still removed from the backup list. I tried to add them manually to the
    excluded folders list and they disappeared like before. After a reboot, and I think opening the 'classic' file history control panel without making changes, the removed folders were back on the list and could not be removed.

I also did the same steps above, but manually deleted the backed up folders from the drive after removing them. Still no dice.

Everything is back to where it was before. Somehow I got a folder to stay in the classic and modern control panel exclude lists, but I can't add any more. One thing to note, the exclude list, I think, must contain folders within the backed up folder list.
    I know it makes no sense to exclude a folder that isn't backed up anyway (i.e.-not a subfolder of a backed up folder), but it seems a likely place for some weird settings reset bug to occur.

My guess is that there is some interaction between the modern and classic control panels that causes them to reset these lists, compounded by the added functionality of selecting the folders in the modern settings. Something along the lines of the File History
    engine checks the classic control panel for exclusions, then checks the modern settings for inclusions, finds a conflict, and reverts to the previous folder lists. Some type of weird tug-o-war over settings, and the underlying triggers are automatically called
    from both sides in non-intuitive (to users) ways.

My solution was to ditch FH altogether and switch over to SynBackSE for versioning. Not a solution for everyone, I know, but there is something fundamentally messed up with FH, and I'd rather not gamble with my thesis backups.

neuroking, Aug 11, 2019
Thema:

Searching Windows - Find my Files - Excluded Folders - Please HELP someone

1. Searching Windows - Find my Files - Excluded Folders - Please HELP someone - Similar Threads - Searching Find Files

2. Help Please to find my files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help Please to find my files: Dear Sir,I have installed Windows 10 pro on SSD and keep the previous HDD along with SSD in same Desktop pc. but now I am facing problem with my previous saved files on HDD which was on desktop, download and documents. while I am booting pc by using the HDD files are shown...
  3. Help Please to find my files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help Please to find my files: Dear Sir,I have installed Windows 10 pro on SSD and keep the previous HDD along with SSD in same Desktop pc. but now I am facing problem with my previous saved files on HDD which was on desktop, download and documents. while I am booting pc by using the HDD files are shown...
  4. Help Please to find my files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Is it possible to find a list of the folders excluded from Windows search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to find a list of the folders excluded from Windows search: I know how to get to the 'Searching Windows' area where I can add excluded folders, but I want to remove a couple of the excluded folders. The problem is - you can't see the full name of the folders with long names.\I need to see the rest of the file name after the three...
  6. Is it possible to find a list of the folders excluded from Windows search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to find a list of the folders excluded from Windows search: I know how to get to the 'Searching Windows' area where I can add excluded folders, but I want to remove a couple of the excluded folders. The problem is - you can't see the full name of the folders with long names.\I need to see the rest of the file name after the three...
  7. Is it possible to find a list of the folders excluded from Windows search

8. Search syntax to find *.blend excluding *.blend111

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search syntax to find *.blend excluding *.blend111: Blender appends a number to .blend for each backup file. I want to find the "master" *.blend file, while not finding *.blend1 , *.blend11 , *.blend111 etc.Help with the syntax please?...
  9. Search syntax to find *.blend excluding *.blend111

Search syntax to find *.blend excluding *.blend111: Blender appends a number to .blend for each backup file. I want to find the "master" *.blend file, while not finding *.blend1 , *.blend11 , *.blend111 etc.Help with the syntax please?...
  10. Excluding folders in Windows Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Excluding folders in Windows Search: Hi, I'd like to set Windows Search so that the search only searches within the user's C:\Users folder. Alternatively, I'd be happy if the Search searched the whole PC, but excluded the ability to search within other users' folders. I tried setting the Find My Files setting...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what folders is excluded from searching windows