Windows 10: searching with file explorer for just file names

Discus and support searching with file explorer for just file names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Name:XYZ file explorer will list filenames, folder names, shortcuts etc. NO. I just want filenames! How to do i get that?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dickmcmahonMA, Jan 9, 2019.

1. searching with file explorer for just file names

Name:XYZ file explorer will list filenames, folder names, shortcuts etc. NO. I just want filenames! How to do i get that?

:)

dickmcmahonMA, Jan 9, 2019

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jan 9, 2019
  3. searching for files by name in file explorer

I want to understand the general syntax for searching. E.g. I want to find all file name that contain the string "(3)"? I'm trying things like namesearching with file explorer for just file names :(3) or namesearching with file explorer for just file names :(3).jpg and I don't understand the results. Can someone give the rules; I am very experienced
    using techniques developed in UNIX and more recently File Explorer. The rules for UNIX were easy to find; Can't find them for File Explorer.

[Moved from: Microsoft Education/ Windows 10 / Cortana & search]

Paul F Long, Jan 9, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

searching with file explorer for just file names

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

searching with file explorer for just file names

1. searching with file explorer for just file names - Similar Threads - searching file explorer

2. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer: In File Explorer, how to search for any filename with a space before the period? * .* doesn't work -- returns all files.More generally, where are the syntax and other rules for searching in File Explorer?thanksK...
  3. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer: In File Explorer, how to search for any filename with a space before the period? * .* doesn't work -- returns all files.More generally, where are the syntax and other rules for searching in File Explorer?thanksK...
  4. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't search files by name File Explorer - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't search files by name File Explorer - Windows 11: Hello everyone,As the title states, I cannot search for the name of the file in File Explorer. For example, the file name is DSC02115, I type "2115", It returns me the result: "No items match your search.".Please see the image below.Can anyone tell me why File Explorer can't...
  6. Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword: Never had this problem in Windows 7 or XP Explorer when searching for by a keyword in a file name of a file in a specific folder, this time on my external USB drive. Please advise....
  7. File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations

File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations: I have many similar files created from templates. They are in an indexed location. When I search in File Explorer they ALL appear in the search results due to their content. Sometimes I want to search through just the file names, not the content, in an indexed location....
  8. Is there a way to search for just the files name in windows explorer?

Is there a way to search for just the files name in windows explorer?: I don’t know what happened to my explorer search feature. For some reason and I don’t know when it started but it stopped searching correctly. For example: Using the explorer search bar. I am trying to look for a file with the with the word “order” in the file name. I can do...
  9. Name in File Explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Name in File Explorer: Since doing a clean install, my name in File Explorer/Users has changed. It is neither my first nor second name, just the first 5 letters/numbers of my Microsoft login name. It used to show my surname in Windows 7. Is is it possible to change it, please? 24628
  10. File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working: Hello, The File explorer option is bugged: whatever option one chooses: search names, url, or contents: the result total is that of search "contents". For most searches, this gives 12000 files instead of say 3. Cortana does give the three, but it's not at all a satisfactory...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows search file explorer just file names