Windows 10: SearchUI.exe and RuntimeBroker.exe crash when opening Control Panel in Category View

Discus and support SearchUI.exe and RuntimeBroker.exe crash when opening Control Panel in Category View in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey everyone first post here on the windows subreddit. I have tried searching for my issue and while I found many answers regarding SearchUI.exe,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Jenarix, Dec 6, 2019.

1. SearchUI.exe and RuntimeBroker.exe crash when opening Control Panel in Category View

Hey everyone first post here on the windows subreddit. I have tried searching for my issue and while I found many answers regarding SearchUI.exe, Cortana, and the Control Panel I haven't found anything specific to what I am experiencing. I've run into a strange issue that I can't seem to figure out I'm hoping some of the more knowledgeable users can help me with.

So im running Windows 10 home edition and have all the recent updates, the last few days I have noticed then when I open control panel my search icon on the taskbar stops working. When you click on it, it opens the search window but nothing is displayed just a gray window and then the window disappears. When I click on it again the search window is there ready and waiting for me to enter something.

When I look in the Event Viewer I have two exe's there are crashing, RuntimeBroker.exe crashes first and then the SearchUI.exe crashes seconds after or just whenever I go and click the search icon again. I'm not sure if this matters but when I observe SearchUI.exe I see that it is suspended but when I open control panel a second SearchUI.exe starts and they both begin running and then one of them crashes causing the error. This is only happening after I open the control panel in category view (which is the default) and it happens every time I open and close control panel.

If I switch to small icons view then the errors cease and my search button works correctly no matter how many times I open control panel whereas with category view I get two errors every time I open it plus the search button stops functioning. So I have a fix of sorts by switching to small icons view but I guess I'm just confused why this started happening in the first place and why category view would throw errors while small icon view does not.

Ive tried Sfc /scannow and Dism online restorehealth but I don't have an integrity violations when I run those commands. I've tried testing in Windows Safe Mode and the problem doesn't occur which I find strange because Cortana is running in safe mode and both errors point to Cortana as being the faulting package. Is this something that I have done to cause this issue? Is there any way to fix this issue without reinstalling windows 10? Is this a known bug that I should ignore or wait for windows update to fix?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

Systems Specs: 9900k, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti, 970 Evo Plus

The errors from Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: RuntimeBroker.exe, version: 10.0.18362.1, time stamp: 0x4539d5a0

Faulting module name: SettingsEnvironment.Desktop.dll, version: 10.0.18362.387, time stamp: 0x10b406e4

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000002b605

Faulting process id: 0x1064

Faulting application start time: 0x01d5abf963771dac

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\SettingsEnvironment.Desktop.dll

Report Id: c3df9b9f-d519-4165-b22c-70e44f75c7ed

Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.13.0.18362_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

Faulting package-relative application ID: runtimebroker07f4358a809ac99a64a67c1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.18362.418, time stamp: 0x5d995690

Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.18362.387, time stamp: 0x4361b720

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x000000000006db8e

Faulting process id: 0x1b30

Faulting application start time: 0x01d5abf964f92c3a

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll

Report Id: a657114a-c073-40fa-8ef6-d5e9873c47e6

Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.13.0.18362_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

submitted by /u/Jenarix
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Jenarix, Dec 6, 2019
  2. YanAndrew Win User

The Control Panel (Category View)

My apologies, Brink but I still do not get it.

The steps for both options are identical, the only difference is the location of the desired icons will need to be accessible for all users for Option 2. That's it.

Moreover, both the Mail and Flash Player (32-bit) applets are not listed in the list of Control Panel items for both options.

Regards,
    Andrew

YanAndrew, Dec 6, 2019
  3. YanAndrew Win User
    The Control Panel (Category View)

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know the GUIDs for the Control Panel (Category View) applets:

SearchUI.exe and RuntimeBroker.exe crash when opening Control Panel in Category View [​IMG]

I'm trying to customise these icons without using a third party software.

Appreciate any advise / guidance.

Regards,

YanAndrew, Dec 6, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

SearchUI.exe and RuntimeBroker.exe crash when opening Control Panel in Category View

Brink, Dec 6, 2019
Thema:

SearchUI.exe and RuntimeBroker.exe crash when opening Control Panel in Category View

1. SearchUI.exe and RuntimeBroker.exe crash when opening Control Panel in Category View - Similar Threads - SearchUI exe RuntimeBroker

2. EXE file will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXE file will not open: I recently had some software installed on my computer that was not running well so I uninstalled and tried to reinstall it but the EXE file would no longer open. I googled the issue which references registry issues but having followed troubleshooting steps it still did not...
  3. Control Panel view

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Control Panel view: How do I restore Windows view in Control panel from Classic? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-view/e8746c43-4729-477d-b527-5e6acc5230a0
  4. Runtime Errors as a Result of Opening Control Panel in Category View

in Windows 10 Customization
    Runtime Errors as a Result of Opening Control Panel in Category View: Version 1909 the Runtime Error discussed at the following: https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/145996-runtime-errors.html was opened on the 9/12/2019 and appears they discovered a work around to resolve the errors being generating in Control Panel. There's been 2...
  5. RuntimeBroker.exe crash when opening Control Panel

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RuntimeBroker.exe crash when opening Control Panel: Hi, I have tried every possible solution I could find, such as: sfc/ scannow, reinstall from scratch Windows 10 Pro (version 1909, OS build 18363.476, all updates for drivers and applications, without success. The same recurring error listed below keeps showing up at Event...
  6. Control Panel Applets (Category View)

Control Panel Applets (Category View): Hello All, I was just wondering if anyone knows where or how I can get hold of the CLSID (GUIDs) for the Control Panel Applets in Category View in the image below: [img] Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you. Regards, Andrew 139570
  7. The Control Panel (Category View)

The Control Panel (Category View): Hi Guys, Does anyone know the GUIDs for the Control Panel (Category View) applets: [img] I'm trying to customise these icons without using a third party software. Appreciate any advise / guidance. Regards, 129497
  8. game panel exe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    game panel exe: bonjour depuis quelques jours en lançant assassins creed 2 j'ai un message gamepanel.exe Windows ne peut reconnaître la signature numérique et cela m'empêche d utiliser assassins creed quelqu'un connaît il la solution à ce problème si oui je suis preneur cordialement...
  9. How do I save Control Panel in Category view?

How do I save Control Panel in Category view?: Is there a way to save the Control Panel in Category view rather than small icon view? I know how to change it. I just don't know how to save that change. 64297
  10. orgnwrks32.exe crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    orgnwrks32.exe crashing: If I open up a sample or a project, most functions will work; However; If I try to setup a new project; it crashes. Uninstalled/Reinstalled dozens of times; no luck
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. searchui.exe crashed windows 10 update 2020

2. runtimebroker control panel category vview

3. Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe version: 10.0.18362.418 time stamp: 0x5d995690 Faulting module name: MrmCoreR.dll version: 10.0.18362.1 time stamp: 0x1cab1146 Exception code: 0xc0000006