Windows 10: SearchUI.exe is nowhere to be found and my Start menu search / file explorer search bar...

Discus and support SearchUI.exe is nowhere to be found and my Start menu search / file explorer search bar... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Happened today, pressed the window key and began typing to search for something...until a few keystrokes later i was still on the start menu. Then i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheInzaneGamer, Aug 27, 2020.

1. SearchUI.exe is nowhere to be found and my Start menu search / file explorer search bar...

Happened today, pressed the window key and began typing to search for something...until a few keystrokes later i was still on the start menu. Then i clicked the specific search menu magnifying glass icon and nothing happens. SearchUI.exe doesn't appear on taskmgr under the details tab either, just the indexer and other ones associated with it that I tried to restart.

I also tried powering on and off, doing services.msc and restarting the windows search service, going through control panel and rebuilding the search index database, and a sfc /scannow, and none of all have worked.

submitted by /u/TheInzaneGamer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheInzaneGamer, Aug 27, 2020

2. Windows 10 Search doesn't include any *.EXE files

Hi,

The .exe files in Windows 10 are classified as "applications" that's why the returned search results are not showing them as .exe files. You need to change the view settings of
    File Explorer for you to be able to view them as .exe files. To do so, kindly follow these steps:

• Type file explorer on the search bar.
    • Click on File Explorer.
    • Click on View.
    • Click on Options.
    • Click on Change folder and search options.
    • Click on View.
    • Under Advanced settings, uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.
    • Click on OK.

Let us know if you need further assistance with your concern.

Joshua Her1, Aug 27, 2020
  3. How to clear the search record at the search bar on Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience happened. We are glad to help you.

Please share this:

• Which search bar are you referring to?

• Is it the search bar in file explorer or the search bar on desktop (cortana and search)?
    If you are referring to the search bar in file explorer, I suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if it helps:
    (to delete a specific entry)

• Open File Explorer.

• Click/tap inside the Search box, then select (highlight) the search suggestion (ex:
      ttt) that you want to delete, and press the Delete key.

• You will not notice that it has been deleted.

• Repeat if you would like to delete another one.

To clear all search entries, follow this:

• Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, then
      run it.

Clear_Search_History_in_File_Explorer.bat

2. If prompted, click/tap on Run.

NOTE: If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by
    unblocking

the downloaded .bat file

3. You will now notice a command prompt quickly open and close while applying the changes to your registry.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Aug 27, 2020
  4. Sarama Win User

SearchUI.exe is nowhere to be found and my Start menu search / file explorer search bar...

Search bar in start and explorer not working / not clickable

Hello guys,
    I'm new on the forum since i just got win 10. I know there are plenty of posts about search bar problems but non of the solutions helped yet.

So the search stopped working completely so that i can't even click on the bar on either the task bar or in explorer, just nothing happens. The only things i was doing directly before is to try disabling cortana web search with some registry entries, which i deemed not related to basic search and restricting some privacy options but i don't think they can break the search.
    the entry is:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
    "AllowCortana"=dword:00000000

i tried to change it back to 1 but still doesnt work after restart

After those i changed earlier it still worked:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search]
    "BingSearchEnabled"=dword:00000000
    "CortanaConsent"=dword:00000000

I tried this check with powershell Get-Process SearchUI | Stop-Process –Force
    interestingly this gave an error with "no process found with name SearchUI"

So I tried a suggestion to reinstall cortana with
    Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    which seems to be successfull but has no effect on the problem.

other things i tried:
    -windows troubleshooting
    -windows search service is active
    -rebuilt index
    -sfc scan

so it seems to me the problem is with the SearchUI process, hopefully someone already has enough experience with all the search problems *Biggrin
    thanks for reading!

Sarama, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

SearchUI.exe is nowhere to be found and my Start menu search / file explorer search bar...

1. SearchUI.exe is nowhere to be found and my Start menu search / file explorer search bar... - Similar Threads - SearchUI exe nowhere

2. Found a fix for File Explorer search bar not finding files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Found a fix for File Explorer search bar not finding files: I was having the exact same issue as the one found in this article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-search-not-finding-files-that-are/f943728c-7a32-476f-8302-c7b6aabed95dI went through all the different "fixes" found online and on this...
  3. Found a fix for File Explorer search bar not finding files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Found a fix for File Explorer search bar not finding files: I was having the exact same issue as the one found in this article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-search-not-finding-files-that-are/f943728c-7a32-476f-8302-c7b6aabed95dI went through all the different "fixes" found online and on this...
  4. Found a fix for File Explorer search bar not finding files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Search Bar in file explorer and in start menu isn't working

in Cortana
    Search Bar in file explorer and in start menu isn't working: I noticed that the search bar in the start menu and in the file explorer isn't working 2 weeks from using the clipboard feature Windows+V on two of my devices which makes my life so hard, I can paste text in it but can't type in it I did the power shell solution it worked for...
  6. [SOLVED] Cannot click inside File Explorer Search Bar or Start Menu Search Bar in Windows...

in Cortana
    [SOLVED] Cannot click inside File Explorer Search Bar or Start Menu Search Bar in Windows...: I noticed yesterday that I could not click inside the Search Bar on the taskbar the default "Type here to search" remains when I click inside the field, as well as the Search Bar in File Explorer, so I cannot do any searches. Cortana seems to still work but I really don't...
  7. Start Menu and File Explorer search broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu and File Explorer search broken: For some reason, when I click on the search icon on the start menu, or the search box in file explorer, nothing happens. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm on v2004. submitted by /u/badass-techie [link] [comments]...
  8. No Search Bar in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Search Bar in Start Menu: Hello, My start menu has no search bar. I looked this up on the forum, and one answer was to go into Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> check mark the box for 'Windows Search' -> Reboot. Problem 1: 'Windows Search' is not on my list...
  9. Start Menu Search Bar

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Bar: Prior versions of windows allowed me to hit the handy-dandy start-menu button, type a document name in the search bar, and recent documents I pulled up with the search words would show up - the charm of that feature was that I could close a document or spreadsheet confident...
  10. Start Menu Search Bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Search Bar: [ATTACH] I messed up something and now when ever i type something in the start menu search bar, i see a preview pane like something (containing open,open file location,pin to start,pin to taskbar)beside the search results.I don't want my search bar like this, i want my...