Windows 10: Second disk HDD not detected after reinstalled Windows 10 on SSD

Discus and support Second disk HDD not detected after reinstalled Windows 10 on SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have used Windows 10 since I upgraded from Windows 7, but lately I got so many blue screens and restarts, that I today have installed a pure Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TeWolf, Feb 18, 2021.

1. TeWolf Win User

Second disk HDD not detected after reinstalled Windows 10 on SSD

I have used Windows 10 since I upgraded from Windows 7, but lately I got so many blue screens and restarts, that I today have installed a pure Win 10 20H2 to a new SSD. Fine so far, but the existing second drive, a 1500 GB Seagate Barracuda, is not detected.
    I went and bought a fresh 2 TB unit, but neither that one is detected.
    The motherboard is an ASUS P68Z68-VLX.

The disk is not presented in Disk Management.

:)

TeWolf, Feb 18, 2021

2. second HDD not detected in windows 10

Hi Ashwin,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Ususally when a HDD fails to appear in windows, it's because it's not partitioned correctly.

Since you can see it in BIOS and in windows install the drive is most likely functional. If it's NOT listed in Device Manager then you probably have a bad drive, bad connection, or some other problem.

Usually when there is no drive letter assigned automatically by windows, it's because the disk is not partitioned. Open a command prompt and type in "diskpart". When the prompt changes to DISKPART> then type in "list disk". You will see all of your disks
    listed there. Determine which one is the second disk and note its' drive number(Most likely it will be listed as "Disk 1"). Type "select disk 1" and then "list partition".

If no partitions are listed then you will need to partition the drive and then assign a drive letter to get it to be visible in the windows explorer. If you decide to partition the drive, make absolutely certain that you have selected the correct drive first.
    You don't want to attempt to repartition your boot drive.

Here's how you do it:

select disk 1 (assuming your second disk is listed as disk 1)

create partition primary

assign letter=E

As soon as you assign the drive letter the disk will appear automatically in windows explorer and you may see an autorun window appear as well. Once that happens, type "exit" , "exit" to close the command prompt window. Now you can right click the new disk
    and format and label it.

Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Feb 18, 2021
  3. auggy Win User
    Second SATA HDD not Detected

From the Event Logs on April 25th at 7:18 PM there were several repetitive warnings\error from "Source" "Disk" such as

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.

The IO operation at logical block address 0x3000 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000056) was retried.

The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000056) was retried.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.

The IO operation at logical block address 0x800 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000056) was retried.

As Disk 0 is the SanDisk SSD Disk 1 should be the HDD and those warnings\error may indicate an issue with the HDD even though Linux appears to have no issue with the drive.

You could check the HDD with disk checking tools - there should be tools available for Linux or you could use Seatools for Windows from Seagate if the HDD is in an enclosure.

Also, have you tried a different SATA cable?

auggy, Feb 18, 2021
  4. Jose Est Win User

Can't detect SSD when Installing windows10

Hi,

Incorrectly configured BIOS settings may cause your SSD not to be detected.

For us to properly isolate and provide a suitable resolution, we'll be needing additional information:

• Does your gaming laptop have HDD and SSD?
    • Is your SSD a SATA or M.2?
    • Were you trying to reinstall Windows 10?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the BIOS setting?

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Feb 18, 2021
Thema:

1. Second disk HDD not detected after reinstalled Windows 10 on SSD - Similar Threads - Second disk HDD

2. Device not detecting SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device not detecting SSD and HDD: Hi, I have an old laptop so I replaced the HDD with a SSD windows 10. Since the SSD wasn't being detected , I turned on the legacy support in BIOS and the pc booted. But I have to turn on legacy support every time I turn on my laptop. Also I have installed the HDD in a caddy...
  3. SSD detecting as an HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD detecting as an HDD: My SSD is detected as an HDD! I don't know why this is happening so suddenly. I left my laptop for around 40 minutes and once I came back and noticed that my laptop was being so slow for no reason. I clean up my memory using software thinking it was my ram that was causing...
  4. SSD detecting as an HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD detecting as an HDD: My SSD is detected as an HDD! I don't know why this is happening so suddenly. I left my laptop for around 40 minutes and once I came back and noticed that my laptop was being so slow for no reason. I clean up my memory using software thinking it was my ram that was causing...
  5. My SSD is detected as a HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My SSD is detected as a HDD.: So I'm trying to set up Linux to dual boot, and I go to defragment my drive. It's detected as a HDD instead of an SSD. I've tried switching to that drive in Command Prompt and running both winsat commands. However, it still shows as a HDD. Any fix for this?...
  6. Installation of Windows 10 with SSD and HDD disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installation of Windows 10 with SSD and HDD disks: I'm confused with all this partitions and i want to know how to delete all partitions if i have an ssd and hdd submitted by /u/thanos997 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i8wgs4/installation_of_windows_10_with_ssd_and_hdd_disks/
  7. Reinstalling Windows 10 on a different HDD/SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling Windows 10 on a different HDD/SSD: So three years ago I bought Windows 10 on an USB and upgraded from Win 7, as you do. Now I made the decsion back then to save Windows onto my HDD as opposed to my SSD. Now I'm trying to reinstall Windows 10 onto my SSD in order to make my machine run a bit smoother, and It's...
  8. REINSTALL AFTER HDD TO SSD (not procedure question)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    REINSTALL AFTER HDD TO SSD (not procedure question): I had my Dell Inspiron 5559 Toshiba 1tb (came with laptop) stop mechanically working and decided to upgrade to a Samsung 860 SSD. I purchased this laptop refurbished and it DID NOT come with a installation disc. I downloaded windows 10 Home ISO to a thumb drive and got the...
  9. Reinstall windows 10 from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall windows 10 from hdd to ssd: I want to install windows 10 on the new ssd, my currently windows 10 is on my hdd. I search on the internet that i have to remove the hdd before the new install but my laptop hdd is a little bit tricky to remove. Is there another way that i don't have to remove the hdd. Can i...
  10. Couldn't see HDD after SSD reinstallation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Couldn't see HDD after SSD reinstallation: I believe that I have this little issue solved but I'd like some advice to make sure there isn't problem lurking. I've been having a problem with Win 10 getting corrupted. Making a long story less long, I've replaced my SSD with a new one and did a fresh install of...