Windows 10: Second Display Working But Not Available

Discus and support Second Display Working But Not Available in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Weird problem, it's probably a driver issue but I'm relatively new to Win 10 (meh) so I'm asking before doing. I have 2 displays, my main display,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by rfxcasey, Nov 3, 2020.

1. rfxcasey Win User

Second Display Working But Not Available

Weird problem, it's probably a driver issue but I'm relatively new to Win 10 (meh) so I'm asking before doing. I have 2 displays, my main display, identified as display 2 is a displayport connection, while my secondary display identified as display 1 is on a HDMI to VGA adapter. All of this was configured and working the other day. It appears, but I'm not 100 percent sure, that when I updated my Nvidia graphics driver that my secondary display stopped working. I enable/disable the second display regularly so I can't be 100 percent sure when the issue started. I also just uninstalled and then reinstalled Nvidia GeForce Experience not wanting to start after the Win10 update from Win7, though it's likely this didn't have anything to do with the problem.

Anyways, when I start my computer, the Post, UEFI/BIOS and pre login Windows starting screen all appear on my secondary display so I know it's not a hardware issue. When the Windows login screen appears display is switched to my main display and the secondary goes to sleep. When I go into my Nvidia control panel to enable the secondary display, under set up multiple monitors, I see both my displays listed. My main display is listed with a checked checkbox next to it. My secondary display is listed with an unchecked checkbox next to it. Though not greyed out, the checkbox for the secondary display cannot be checked. When I do a display detect in Nvidia control panel it still shows both displays listed.

Now, if I go to my Win10 device manager, under monitors, only my main display is listed. If I do a detect displays in Win10 device manager it says no new displayed detected. This was all working fine the other day, don't know if it's a Windows update that broke it, the latest Nvidia driver or some setting I changed. I had been playing with the refresh rate on the main monitor as well as the display specific setting/enable settings for the selected display model under Set up G-SYNC. I've tried switching these setting back and forth but it has no effect on the detection of the secondary display. Thanks in advance.

:)

rfxcasey, Nov 3, 2020
  2. Ramon Imp Win User

Second display will not work.

Hi Marc,

The challenge that you're experiencing could be related to your display driver. For us to isolate the issue, we would like to know the following:

• Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting your second display?
    • Did you make any changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Have you gone to Device Manager and expand Display adapters to check if you'll see a yellow triangle error on the display driver?
    • Have you tried updating your display driver?

Regards.

Ramon Imp, Nov 3, 2020
  3. Laptop display does not detect itself

Hi,

In regards to your concern, since the second screen can't detect the display settings of your other laptop, we suggest that you perform the steps below and see if it helps:

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Under System, choose Display.
    • Under Multiple displays, click on Duplicate these displays and apply.
    Let us know the details so we could further help.

Acelyn Alc, Nov 3, 2020
  4. Second Display Working But Not Available

What to do with a second display?

i was wondering to my self what good does my second display possibly do for me? i was wondering if there were any programs i should have up in it or if theres a game i could use on it? any suggestions? *Toast :toast:

TechPowerDown, Nov 3, 2020
Thema:

Second Display Working But Not Available

1. Second Display Working But Not Available - Similar Threads - Second Display Working

2. Second Display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second Display: I'm unable to detect my second display since upgrading computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-display/47032ee7-f129-4521-abd2-94986695d0dd
  3. Second Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Display: I'm unable to detect my second display since upgrading computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-display/47032ee7-f129-4521-abd2-94986695d0dd
  4. Second Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Second display stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second display stopped working: I have a Surface Pro 7 connected to a Kensington SD 7000 dock and a second display. The second display has worked normally since purchasing the Pro 7 and for some time after I upgraded to Windows 11. The second display has just gone black. The Pro 7 seems to detect the second...
  6. Second display stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second display stopped working: I have a Surface Pro 7 connected to a Kensington SD 7000 dock and a second display. The second display has worked normally since purchasing the Pro 7 and for some time after I upgraded to Windows 11. The second display has just gone black. The Pro 7 seems to detect the second...
  7. [nVidia] - Second Display Not Working? - DVI Monitor & Second HDMI TV

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    [nVidia] - Second Display Not Working? - DVI Monitor & Second HDMI TV: Hi, Running current Windows 10 Home 64Bit version 21H1on a fairly new Dell desktop computer. Have an nVidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super graphic card with newest non-beta drivers. I have a monitor plugged into the DVI port on the nVidia graphic card. I recently plugged a second...
  8. Second Display Port Monitor not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Second Display Port Monitor not working: So I bought a new monitor and I connected it to the first display port from my GPU. I want to use my second monitor who was plugged with DVI-D but the cable was short so i searched on google and my old monitor supports 144 hz full hd with display port too so i bought one...
  9. Second screen only works, but not extend display

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Second screen only works, but not extend display: I'm having an issue with my fiance's laptop. She likes to work on two screens at home, so she has a monitor set up at her desk that she connects the laptop to to do work. Her laptop has been doing something really weird recently though. It shows in the display settings that...
  10. Second Display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second Display: My computer no longer see my second display. Nothing changed that I'm aware of except the missing display. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/second-display/a180cb04-7e03-4ca0-b627-271a01317896