Windows 10: Second Documents & Pictures Folders

Discus and support Second Documents & Pictures Folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My data files are all on a second hard drive, so I have changed the location of the Special Folders to point to them. Every so often I discover a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nigelmercier, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Second Documents & Pictures Folders

My data files are all on a second hard drive, so I have changed the location of the Special Folders to point to them. Every so often I discover a second Documents or Pictures folder (with a 2 appended) lurking in my folder list, always empty.

Anyone know how to stop this?

:)

nigelmercier, Sep 21, 2015
  2. GrandpaG Win User

Folders not visible after upgrade to 1511

Hi,

Yesterday I had a new PC delivered, which came with Windows 10, and it seems to have developed the same problem.

We put lots of files in Documents & Pictures under "This PC" from a backup of our old PC.

Windows 10 then got updated, and the Documents & Pictures folders were then empty!

If I navigate to c:\Users\"user name"\Documents, the files are visible - thank goodness!

I then noticed that the icons of the Documents & Pictures folders under "This PC" have a superimposed green tick, just like the ticks on the OneDrive folders, which are also empty.

Looking at the Properties of the Documents folder confirms that its Location is C:\Users\"user name"\OneDrive, and similarly for Pictures.

In other words, the Documents & Pictures folder icons under "This PC" are pointing at the folders under OneDrive.

How do I fix this? I do not want to reset the PC!

GrandpaG, Sep 21, 2015
  3. hnderson Win User
    Windows 10 and documents / pictures folders on second drive

Before Windows 10 was installed on my Windows 7 machine, I'd redirected my Documents and Pictures folders to another drive. I was actually pleased with W10.

I believe we got a new update on May 10. Before it was installed, a window came up explaining that my data wouldn't be affected. However, it was. The data is still there but the pointer I'd put in redirecting the Documents and Pictures folders to the
    second drive was removed and new documents and pictures folders appeared pointing them to the "C" drive. The documents folder on "C" appear to have log files in it from third person apps. Since then, another Documents folder has appeared on "C", again with
    some kind of log files.

I've been working since to try to reconstruct my documents folder on the second drive (not understanding the problem, I was saving docs to a different drive, a story I don't need to get into). I redirected the pointer to see the Documents on the second
    drive. I haven't deleted and am afraid to delete the documents folder on the "C" drive. Now, I find if I go into the redirected Documents folder, and back out of it, I taken to one of the log folders on the "C" drive instead of where I was previously. This
    also happens with the Pictures folder on the second drive. I've redirected the Pictures folder to the second drive. If I use the back arrow from that folder, I'm taken to a log file in the first W10 made documents folder on "C".

I don't have any problem leaving the 2 documents folders alone on my C drive as long as they don't bother anything else. But I'm troubled by the fact that they showed up with, apparently, a different purpose from what I thought the Documents folder was
    supposed to be. Why would W10 do something so confusing to the user as to start documents folders and put log files into them and remove the pointer I've made to direct the Documents folder to a second drive? Isn't there another place for app log files in
    the system? And is W10 going to continue to create new documents folders on the "C" drive? I just find them confusing and would like to delete them but I use the apps whose files are in them.

And the fact that W10 backs me out of Documents on the second drive into a documents log file on the "C" drive when I hit the back arrow, makes me think that W10 wants these files to be connected to each other.

Can anyone clarify what's going on?

Harold

hnderson, Sep 21, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Second Documents & Pictures Folders

Don't know as it can totally be done because some programs when installed will insist on creating a Folder they need when they don't find them.

Berton, Sep 21, 2015
  5. Indeed, but it means they are looking in the wrong place. I've had this issue with W7, but in this case I haven't installed anything new.

nigelmercier, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Second Documents & Pictures Folders

1. Second Documents & Pictures Folders - Similar Threads - Second Documents Pictures

2. Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.: I was moving some folders around and my Documents folder ended up getting moved into my OneDrive Folder from This PC. Where my Documents folder used to be there's now a duplicate Pictures folder with the same icon as my old Documents Folder. When I tried to restore the...
  3. picture folder became a copy of document folder

picture folder became a copy of document folder: Hello, This is just a follow up post regarding a closed 5 year old thread that seems to have gone unsolved. A strange windows bug that makes one of your default windows libraries in my case pictures turn into a duplicate of another directory. When you try to reset this...
  4. Multiple Documents, Pictures and Desktop Folder

Multiple Documents, Pictures and Desktop Folder: I'm using Win10. In My Documents I've found I have 2 of each of Pictures, Documents and Desktop folders. Although one of the Desktop folders is empty the other Documents and Pictures folders each have items in them. I think that they are local storage and OneDrive storage...
  5. Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition: I'd like some opinion. I formatted the 16.7 GB RESTORE partition to clean it out to put documents and pictures there to minimize the C: backup size and just keep them separate. Turns out the 16.7 GB is too small for putting a backup but I could put documents. Does it make...
  6. My Pictures and Documents folder are in my Downloads folder

My Pictures and Documents folder are in my Downloads folder: I seem to have duplication of folders. Under "This PC" I have a normal looking folder structure and clicking on those folders takes me to the appropriate files. For example: "This PC > Documents" has "Acrobat, Adobe, and AirDroid" as the first three folders. If i navigate to...
  7. Unable to change location of pictures and documents folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to change location of pictures and documents folders: When I try to change the location of the documents folder and the pictures folder, I get a message, "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied." I get this message whether or not I choose to move the files...
  8. Documents and Pictures on This PC are showing the OneDrive folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents and Pictures on This PC are showing the OneDrive folders: Hello. I am new to the forums and I just bought a brand new Lenovo G51 laptop less than a week ago. It is a nice computer and the only problem I have with it is that when I signed in to OneDrive it shows under "This PC" the Documents, Pictures folders from OneDrive instead of...
  9. Duplicated Documents and Pictures folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicated Documents and Pictures folders: I have discovered that I have two Documents and two Pictures folders: one of each is in "This PC" and one in "Windows (C)>Users>[my name]". They are not synced and I seem to have to copy files from one to the other to get them to show the same; if I don't I have problems...
  10. Deleted Documents and Pictures Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted Documents and Pictures Folder: Hi all, I've deleted the 'Documents' and 'Pictures' folders which appear under 'Folders' when you click on 'This PC' I did this because I'm trying to get into the habit of using my OneDrive not my local disk for storage. The folder icons are still present, however...