Windows 10: Second hard drive in windows 7 stealing the boot sequence

Discus and support Second hard drive in windows 7 stealing the boot sequence in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am reworking an old HP desktop. The original hard drive was starting to go on my daughter's computer so I bought, cloned and installed a new hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Mackthenife, May 11, 2020.

1. Second hard drive in windows 7 stealing the boot sequence

I am reworking an old HP desktop. The original hard drive was starting to go on my daughter's computer so I bought, cloned and installed a new hard drive on it. I am trying to install the old one hard drive which has windows XP as its OS as a second drive. When I start the computer without that drive, it opens and runs Windows 7. If I add the second hard drive without shutting down, the second drive installs and operates fine. If I then restart the computer it tries to run Windows XP, but the boot section of that drive is bad so the computer won't start up. I have tried changing the boot order to have the priority boot come from the Windows 7 drive, but it will not save the new setting and goes back to the Windows XP drive and will not alter the boot sequence. I'm thinking there is something on the 'XP' drive that is preventing the W7 drive from booting up. Any clues would be appreciated.

:)

Mackthenife, May 11, 2020

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, May 11, 2020
  3. GKing Win User
    Maxtor Hard Drive Beep

Maxtor drive beeps

Have a similiar situation using a DiamondMax Plus 8, 20GB Mfg Date 4/15/03. Drive used as a second system drive. Drive is recognized in boot menu but not in drive list. Drive is always connected. Computer started locking up for several seconds at a time. Chkdsk on drives and couldn't find that drive. Removed drive from bay to make sure connections were ok and heard the beeping. Shutdown and restart and never got to windows screen. Restarted several times then saw drive in boot menu and Windows loaded but Maxtor not in drive menu. When recognized in boot menu, computer will start but beeps and is not found.

Tried kicking it real hard but no improvement. Any suggestions?

GKing, May 11, 2020
  4. Second hard drive in windows 7 stealing the boot sequence

little cat, May 11, 2020
Thema:

Second hard drive in windows 7 stealing the boot sequence

1. Second hard drive in windows 7 stealing the boot sequence - Similar Threads - Second hard drive

2. Second Hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second Hard drive not detected: So my friend has a hard drive that fully works but he wants to recover his data. I plug it in to my computer and it’s not detected on file explorer. It is detected on Disk management. I want to access through file explorer. I try to assign a letter but it doesn’t work. I need...
  3. Boot sequence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot sequence: Is there a downloadable tool out there, that will allow me to follow my Windows 10 boot sequence? My PC seems to freeze up during the boot sequence somewhere. I remember with the older versions of Windows, there was a way to follow the boot sequence....
  4. Boot sequence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot sequence: Is there a downloadable tool out there, that will allow me to follow my Windows 10 boot sequence? My PC seems to freeze up during the boot sequence somewhere. I remember with the older versions of Windows, there was a way to follow the boot sequence....
  5. Boot sequence

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Second Hard Drive Not Showing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Second Hard Drive Not Showing: Hello, My computer stopped updating about a year ago, and I knew eventually that it would crash upon itself. Today was that day, and I had to reinstall windows through a USB drive. Now everything works fine. However, I noticed that the second hard drive 1TB does not...
  7. Migrating Windows 10 to Second Partition on a Windows 7 Hard Drive....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating Windows 10 to Second Partition on a Windows 7 Hard Drive....: I have two hard drives on my Desktop PC. One hard drive has Windows 10, the other hard disk has Windows 7. I have been multi-booting by changing which disk to boot in Bios. I would like to clone my Windows 10 to a second partition on the hard drive that has my Windows 7 hard...
  8. Migrating Windows 10 to Second Partition on a Windows 7 Hard Drive....

in Windows 10 Support
    Migrating Windows 10 to Second Partition on a Windows 7 Hard Drive....: I have two hard drives on my Desktop PC. One hard drive has Windows 10, the other hard disk has Windows 7. I have been multi-booting by changing which disk to boot in Bios. I would like to clone my Windows 10 to a second partition on the hard drive that has my Windows 7 hard...
  9. Second hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second hard drive not recognized: Hi, I bought an additional used 2.5" HDD (1TB Toshiba MQ02ABF100) for my desktop which has an ASUS Motherboard ROG Strix B350-I Gaming. Since I already had an external 2.5" drive (512gb Western Digital WD5000BEVT) in a USB caddy, before installing the 1TB in my desktop, I...
  10. Add a Second Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Add a Second Hard Drive: I have an Acer AME600-UR378 Desktop computer that has the facility to add a SATA hard drive in a bay located in the front panel. I have installed a Toshiba SATA MG03ACA200 2TB drive in that bay. It does not show up in my device manager or in Windows Explorer. What steps...