Windows 10: Second Hard Drive Root Directory "Access is Denied"

Discus and support Second Hard Drive Root Directory "Access is Denied" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm having a weird issue. I am unable to access the root directory on my second hard drive. Clicking on it just brings up a dialog box with error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LANmine, May 11, 2017.

1. LANmine Win User

Second Hard Drive Root Directory "Access is Denied"

I'm having a weird issue. I am unable to access the root directory on my second hard drive. Clicking on it just brings up a dialog box with error message "F:\ is not accessable. Access is denied. I can still access all the folders via shortcuts or the address bar, and my files are all still there. It's just the root directory.

The drive was transferred from a previous PC during an upgrade and I had to take ownership of the drive to use it, but I've done this with this exact drive plenty of times and never had a problem.

I should also not that I had tried using AsRock XFastRAM which makes a partition to use to speed up RAM performance, though I'm not sure what drive it chose and I have since disabled that function. The drive also contains a hibernation partition.

:)

LANmine, May 11, 2017
  2. KenWoodXL Win User

Installed Windows 10. 2nd Internal hard drive not showing up.

OK. Now 2nd hard drive is showing up in "This Computer", but it says "Access Denied" when I try to click on it.

KenWoodXL, May 11, 2017
  3. Malwarebytes 3.0 upgrade stalls on setup error 5.

How do I correct "Setup was unable to create the directory . . . " "Access Denied"?

Ed_VanSciver, May 11, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum it's likely that either ASRock or hibernate file has set it to system to protect files so you won't have permissions on it

Samuria, May 11, 2017
  5. LANmine Win User
    Any idea how to fix it?

LANmine, May 12, 2017
  6. RolandJS Win User
    Well, one can try to usb or dvd boot with any Linux and use its file manager to delete hyberfil.sys (hibernation file) and re-powerUp. If ASRock is still in the way, I'm not sure what to try next, maybe Safe Mode and uninstall ASRock?

RolandJS, May 12, 2017
  7. LANmine Win User
    Hmm. Yeah. I'll give both those a try tomorrow. Thanks.

LANmine, May 12, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

What are the permissions on it you should be able to view them?

Samuria, May 12, 2017
  9. LANmine Win User
    Oh, shoot. I didn't think to add myself in the permissions. Admittedly, I was pretty tired the other day. But that fixed it.

Thanks for your help!

LANmine, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Second Hard Drive Root Directory "Access is Denied" - Similar Threads - Second Hard Drive

2. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive Access Denied: My external hard drive stopped working from one day to the next. The only changes I made to my system is that I let windows update run when I turned off my computer the day before. The next day when starting my computer it said "no master boot record found" or something...
  3. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Access Denied: My external hard drive stopped working from one day to the next. The only changes I made to my system is that I let windows update run when I turned off my computer the day before. The next day when starting my computer it said "no master boot record found" or something...
  4. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External Hard Drive - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive - Access Denied: I have always taken a backup onto an external hard drive every few weeks. The drive recently stopped working with an "Access Denied" error when I browse to it in explorer.I have a second new external drive and get the same problem.From disk manager, i deleted the volume,...
  6. External Hard Drive - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive - Access Denied: I have always taken a backup onto an external hard drive every few weeks. The drive recently stopped working with an "Access Denied" error when I browse to it in explorer.I have a second new external drive and get the same problem.From disk manager, i deleted the volume,...
  7. External hard drive access denied

External hard drive access denied: I cannot access my external hard drive. I was able to previously, after creating a new volume using Disk Management. I moved about 500GB of personal data and since I was able to access it, I deleted the original copy, so what's in the drive is the only copy of the data and I...
  8. External Hard Drive Access Denied

External Hard Drive Access Denied: I have Iomega External Hard Drive and it is assigned Drive: F within my File Explorer. When I select it, it tells me I am denied access I follow the prompts but I am not sure how to populate the fields to obtain access. What do I do?...
  9. External Hard Drive Access Denied

External Hard Drive Access Denied: I am not able to access my external HDD at all. It's a seagate 2TB 9SF2A8-500, if that helps? I keep getting this message saying "Location is not available" "F:\ is not accessible. Access Denied". I feel like I've tried everything! [ATTACH] This started happening with...
  10. Hard Drive Access is denied issue.

Hard Drive Access is denied issue.: first its giving error ( F:\ is not accessible the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable ) i try this cmd (chkdsk /f f:) https://windowsreport.com/access-is-denied-windows-10/ and now i'm getting new error (Access is denied) i changed its Owners permissions and my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 2nd hd access is denied

2. new hard drive is a root directory

3. Windows Hard drive root directory

4. second hard drive access is denied