Windows 10: Second Hard Drive Root Directory "Access is Denied"

Discus and support Second Hard Drive Root Directory "Access is Denied" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm having a weird issue. I am unable to access the root directory on my second hard drive. Clicking on it just brings up a dialog box with error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LANmine, May 11, 2017.

1. LANmine Win User

Second Hard Drive Root Directory "Access is Denied"

I'm having a weird issue. I am unable to access the root directory on my second hard drive. Clicking on it just brings up a dialog box with error message "F:\ is not accessable. Access is denied. I can still access all the folders via shortcuts or the address bar, and my files are all still there. It's just the root directory.

The drive was transferred from a previous PC during an upgrade and I had to take ownership of the drive to use it, but I've done this with this exact drive plenty of times and never had a problem.

I should also not that I had tried using AsRock XFastRAM which makes a partition to use to speed up RAM performance, though I'm not sure what drive it chose and I have since disabled that function. The drive also contains a hibernation partition.

:)

LANmine, May 11, 2017
  2. KenWoodXL Win User

Installed Windows 10. 2nd Internal hard drive not showing up.

OK. Now 2nd hard drive is showing up in "This Computer", but it says "Access Denied" when I try to click on it.

KenWoodXL, May 11, 2017
  3. Malwarebytes 3.0 upgrade stalls on setup error 5.

How do I correct "Setup was unable to create the directory . . . " "Access Denied"?

Ed_VanSciver, May 11, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum it's likely that either ASRock or hibernate file has set it to system to protect files so you won't have permissions on it

Samuria, May 11, 2017
  5. LANmine Win User
    Any idea how to fix it?

LANmine, May 12, 2017
  6. RolandJS Win User
    Well, one can try to usb or dvd boot with any Linux and use its file manager to delete hyberfil.sys (hibernation file) and re-powerUp. If ASRock is still in the way, I'm not sure what to try next, maybe Safe Mode and uninstall ASRock?

RolandJS, May 12, 2017
  7. LANmine Win User
    Hmm. Yeah. I'll give both those a try tomorrow. Thanks.

LANmine, May 12, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

What are the permissions on it you should be able to view them?

Samuria, May 12, 2017
  9. LANmine Win User
    Oh, shoot. I didn't think to add myself in the permissions. Admittedly, I was pretty tired the other day. But that fixed it.

Thanks for your help!

LANmine, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Second Hard Drive Root Directory "Access is Denied" - Similar Threads - Second Hard Drive

2. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Access Denied: I am not able to access my external HDD at all. It's a seagate 2TB 9SF2A8-500, if that helps? I keep getting this message saying "Location is not available" "F:\ is not accessible. Access Denied". I feel like I've tried everything! [ATTACH] This started happening with...
  3. Workaround to access data when: External Hard Drive "is not accessible. Access is denied."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Workaround to access data when: External Hard Drive "is not accessible. Access is denied.": I got the dreaded "[Drive] is not accessible" message after plugging my external USB hard drive into a new desktop computer. [ATTACH] The drive showed up fine in Disk Management, And after scouring the Internet for solutions, all of the Permissions were fine, as well is...
  4. Blocking root drive access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Blocking root drive access: Root drive is being projected to Facebook video. I have tried blocking with security and export permissions. Disabling projection and remote access. Scans do not show Viruses or Malware even though some must exist. How can I block this access?...
  5. Hard Drive Access is denied issue.

Hard Drive Access is denied issue.: first its giving error ( F:\ is not accessible the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable ) i try this cmd (chkdsk /f f:) https://windowsreport.com/access-is-denied-windows-10/ and now i'm getting new error (Access is denied) i changed its Owners permissions and my...
  6. Location is not accessible. Access is denied. USB portable hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Location is not accessible. Access is denied. USB portable hard drive.: I'm running Windows 10 Pro (10.0.17134) on a 3 month old HP Z Book laptop. I'm trying to use an external hard drive (HP 500 GB) that worked this morning. I'm now getting an error: Location is not available. Access is denied. I see this is a longstanding problem, going...
  7. Access to external hard drive denied on another laptop

Access to external hard drive denied on another laptop: We have two windows 10 laptops (both locked with a different password). I have been experiencing several difficulties trying to setup a sharing network, I'll get into that a later date. Since I have been having several difficulties with the network thing we have had to...
  8. Quixxxx.tmp directories on root

in Windows 10 Support
    Quixxxx.tmp directories on root: I have all these directories starting with Qui...tmp on one of my laptops. about 20-30 of them, all empty. I get nothing via google. Anyone ever seen this? 67218
  9. system disk root folder all access denied

in Windows 10 Support
    system disk root folder all access denied: So having been bit by the "upgrade fails" bug because \users is a junction point to the root of a different drive [I used U:\], I decided to try to move users back to C:\Users until after the upgrade and I'd then move it back. Don't ask. I do it because if I have to...
  10. Lost access to drive - "Access is Denied"

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost access to drive - "Access is Denied": I'm having a serious issue here with my external USB 3.0 HDD enclosures. They used to work fine with Windows 7. Now with Windows 10 I fought all last week trying to get Windows 10 to see the enclosures. I have no idea what happened but suddenly Window 10 was able to see the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 2nd hd access is denied

2. new hard drive is a root directory

3. Windows Hard drive root directory

4. second hard drive access is denied