Windows 10: Second monitor flickers when extended or duplicated

Discus and support Second monitor flickers when extended or duplicated in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro build 19045.2251GPU: RTX 2080 - latest nvidia driversMonitor 1: 1440p 165hz via DPMonitor 2: 1080p 60hz via HDMI these are set correctly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Simon Elvin, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Second monitor flickers when extended or duplicated

Windows 10 Pro build 19045.2251GPU: RTX 2080 - latest nvidia driversMonitor 1: 1440p 165hz via DPMonitor 2: 1080p 60hz via HDMI these are set correctly in display settingsI have a strange issue where my second monitor will flick on and off when extended or duplicated.Sometimes it's completely fine, other times it will flick on and off constantly, 1 second at a time. It may do this for an hour and then suddenly be stable with no issues. It may flick off once and then go back to being stable. I've not found a consistent pattern. Restarting my PC or flicking through the Win+P options seem to ha

:)

Simon Elvin, Dec 1, 2022

2. Problems while extending and duplicating on my second monitor

Hi there!

So I wanted to get a dual monitor for my laptop so I found a monitor at home. Its an NEC LCD monitor which takes a VGA cable for input. So I got a HDMI to VGA adapter, plugged it into my Laptop (Asus X510UAR) and it worked flawlessly. All the projection modes such as PC only, Duplicate, Extend and Second Screen.

But when i wend to adjust the resolution for the second monitor in the display setting, idk what i pressed accidentally, but now my second monitor shows a black screen during Duplicate mode and while extending to the dual monitors, the mouse cursor does shift to another screen, but the dual screen is still black(even though apps are working on it. And when i switch to only the second screen, the second screen works completely fine(Indicating that the hardware is absolutely fine)

I've tried with many forum suggestions such as changing the resolution of both the screens as well as changing the primary monitors and the configuration of both the screens and orientation as well but no luck. I've even tried changing the Microsoft administrator account to a new account to reset to the default setting but no luck there as well. And other ways to reset to the default setting weren't possible on my laptop.

Please do suggest what could be the possible ways to solve the issue which wasn't there when i initially started.

Thanks!

Windows Version 1903(OS Build 18362.592)

vanshaeeee, Dec 1, 2022
  3. Second monitor not detected after update

Hi Tom,

There are several reasons that could have caused the issue you are experiencing. One of these is the update you previously performed in Windows, either it was not configured properly by the system or the update components were corrupted. Kindly answer the
    following questions for clarification:

• Have you tried updating the monitor and display drivers?
    • Have you tried to use another user profile to check if the issue re-occurs?

Furthermore, we suggest that you add the other monitor manually. This is to ensure that the second monitor is still connected after the update. Here are the steps:

• Type connected devices and open Connected Devices on the
      Windows Search bar.
    • Click Add devices.
    • Select the Second screen.
    • Pick one of the 3 options: Duplicate, Extend, and the Second screen only.
    • The Duplicate option will duplicate the primary display to secondary display.
    • The Extend option will unite two monitors so you can use them both as one.
    • The Second screen only option will, obviously, disable primary and use only the secondary monitor.
    • Once you’ve chosen the preferred mode, save changes.

We're looking forward to your response.

PreciousLeb, Dec 1, 2022
  4. Second monitor flickers when extended or duplicated

Windows 10 doesn't show native display for second monitor

Hi,

In order to for your Windows 10 to show the native display for the second monitor, you may revert all screen settings back to default, and see if this resolves the issue. If it doesn't, you may try these steps:

• Press Windows key + P.
    • If your monitor settings is on Duplicate, try choosing
      Extend
    • If your monitor settings is on Extend try choosing the
      Duplicate
    • Check the resolution if both monitors are showing the same resolution value.

Let us know the result for us to assist you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Dec 1, 2022
Thema:

Second monitor flickers when extended or duplicated

1. Second monitor flickers when extended or duplicated - Similar Threads - Second monitor flickers

2. Second screen will duplicate but won’t extend.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second screen will duplicate but won’t extend.: Hi wondered if anyone could help, I have a Lenovo thinkpad laptop for work and a Samsung widescreen monitor, working perfectly until now, it connects through a hdmi lead and my wide screen can duplicate what is on my laptop screen but it won’t extend. Wondered if anyone had...
  3. Second monitor flickers when extended or duplicated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor flickers when extended or duplicated: Windows 10 Pro build 19045.2251GPU: RTX 2080 - latest nvidia driversMonitor 1: 1440p 165hz via DPMonitor 2: 1080p 60hz via HDMI these are set correctly in display settingsI have a strange issue where my second monitor will flick on and off when extended or...
  4. Dual Monitor flickering when extended

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Monitor flickering when extended: So I have bought a PC in July 2020. I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with a Radeon 5700 XT. And for some reason when I connect a second display and put it on extended mode it starts to flicker every second until I turn it off again. It works if I use Radeon Eyeinfinty or what ever...
  5. Dual monitor flickering when extended

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual monitor flickering when extended: So I have bought a PC in July 2020. I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with a Radeon 5700 XT. And for some reason when I connect a second display and put it on extended mode it starts to flicker every second until I turn it off again. It works if I use Radeon Eyeinfinty (or what ever...
  6. Extend, Duplicate, Second screen monitor functions not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extend, Duplicate, Second screen monitor functions not working: Hello Microsoft, With this new updated version of Windows 10 on my computer, the extend, duplicate, and second screen monitor buttons do not remain activated after selecting them and revert back to PC screen only when the window closes, making it impossible to use an...
  7. Extend, Duplicate, Second screen monitor functions not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extend, Duplicate, Second screen monitor functions not working: Hello Microsoft, With this new updated version of Windows 10 on my computer, the extend, duplicate, and second screen monitor buttons do not remain activated after selecting them. I am using an external monitor Huion Kamvas GT-221 Pro with an HDMI connection. My computer is...
  8. Problems while extending and duplicating on my second monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Problems while extending and duplicating on my second monitor: Hi there! So I wanted to get a dual monitor for my laptop so I found a monitor at home. Its an NEC LCD monitor which takes a VGA cable for input. So I got a HDMI to VGA adapter, plugged it into my Laptop (Asus X510UAR) and it worked flawlessly. All the projection modes such...
  9. Problems while extending and duplicating on my second monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems while extending and duplicating on my second monitor: Hi there! So I wanted to get a dual monitor for my laptop so I found a monitor at home. Its an NEC LCD monitor which takes a VGA cable for input. So I got a HDMI to VGA adapter, plugged it into my Laptop (Asus X510UAR) and it worked flawlessly. All the projection modes such...
  10. cannot extend and duplicate to second monitor & cant adjust brightness

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cannot extend and duplicate to second monitor & cant adjust brightness: hi everyone when i press win+p then click duplicate or extend it doesn't work. i tried connecting my laptop to my samsung tv via hdmi cable, it does not detect my laptop. and also i cannot adjust the brightness of my laptop. your help will be very much appreciated. 11210