Windows 10: Second monitor is frozen, but I can still move my mouse around.

Discus and support Second monitor is frozen, but I can still move my mouse around. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have noticed a new issue where my second display is frozen, however I can still see my desktop and move my mouse around, but I am unable to click,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by markman641, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Second monitor is frozen, but I can still move my mouse around.

I have noticed a new issue where my second display is frozen, however I can still see my desktop and move my mouse around, but I am unable to click, drag any windows, or do anything. So all I see is my desktop and taskbar and my mouse moving but nothing else moves. If I drag a window over to my second screen, nothing changes and the window disappears as I drag it over.

This update seems to have started recently after windows update kb4493509. No other drivers or anything have updated since then.

I have already tried sfc /scannow and it did not detect any issues. (Windows 10)

Restarting the computer seems to make it work for a bit but then it stops working again.

What is causing this!? Very frustrating.

:)

markman641, Apr 20, 2019
  2. Lizzy Win User

Second Monitor Screen Frozen after Update

Hi,
    I have an ASUS Zenbook UX31E. It had Windows 7 pre-installed. I have an ASUS docking station and connect a keyboard and second monitor which is a 19 inch SyncMaster 2023 by Samsung. I bought it in 2009 and it’s not a widescreen, so I have to compromise with the resolution, but it’s fine. My mouse via USB key is Microsoft Arc Touch.
    Three days ago I updated to Windows 10 and everything was working well until yesterday. Both screens froze, neither the mouse nor touchpad worked. The cursor was blocked. I think it rebooted. Still unable to log-in. After a few reboots I could log-on with my laptop which is now working normally. The problem is the second monitor. It’s still showing the log-in screen and a frozen blue dot. The cursor doesn’t show and the mouse doesn’t work on it. I’ve disconnected and reconnected. I’ve rebooted loads of times. I’ve disconnected everything, router, docking station etc.etc. Still nothing. The same frozen screen reappears.
    When I go via Control Panel to display, the second monitor is not there. When I go into devices and hardwear, it’s not there either.
    I’m prepared to buy a new monitor if I was sure it would work as the current one is from 2009.
    Any suggestions on how to fix are welcome.

Lizzy, Apr 20, 2019
  3. Second monitor screen resolution problem

Hi,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your second monitor screen resolution, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?

• When did the issue first begin?

• To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try resetting your monitor settings, and check if the issue still persists. You may refer to your monitor on how to reset it.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Apr 20, 2019
  4. Lizzy Win User

Second monitor is frozen, but I can still move my mouse around.

Second Monitor Screen Frozen after Update

Unfortunately it's not that. My installed driver is a newer version.

Second monitor is frozen, but I can still move my mouse around. [​IMG]

Back to the drawing board!

Lizzy, Apr 20, 2019
Thema:

Second monitor is frozen, but I can still move my mouse around.

1. Second monitor is frozen, but I can still move my mouse around. - Similar Threads - Second monitor frozen

2. Second monitor detected but frozen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor detected but frozen: I had been using a tv hooked up through HDMI for a while, and apon an automatic update it became un responsive. I can see my backgroud but it doesen't update when I update it, task bar is showing, and I can send my mouse to the other screen but no cursor is shown. Both...
  3. Mouse doesn't move to the second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse doesn't move to the second monitor: Hi,I have 3 monitors one of them is connected to KVM so I can jump between 2 computers 2 screen each - one dedicated and one KVM switch screen.In one computer I can move the mouse between two screens and in the other one I can't the mouse blocked in the side of the screen.The...
  4. Mouse doesn't move to the second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse doesn't move to the second monitor: Hi,I have 3 monitors one of them is connected to KVM so I can jump between 2 computers 2 screen each - one dedicated and one KVM switch screen.In one computer I can move the mouse between two screens and in the other one I can't the mouse blocked in the side of the screen.The...
  5. Windows 11 Frozen but mouse still moves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Frozen but mouse still moves: Hi so I’ve been having issues installing my graphics driver. From the app, it would just tell me “installation failed” so I tried to download the driver from the official site and install it manually. However, now my pc is frozen. I can’t click on anything, I can’t open the...
  6. Windows 11 Frozen but mouse still moves

Windows 11 Frozen but mouse still moves: Hi so I’ve been having issues installing my graphics driver. From the app, it would just tell me “installation failed” so I tried to download the driver from the official site and install it manually. However, now my pc is frozen. I can’t click on anything, I can’t open the...
  7. Frozen screen on my second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frozen screen on my second monitor: Been projecting my main pc to my laptop as a second external monitor for about 2 weeks. All of a sudden the screen projection on my laptop would freeze after a minute or two. Anybody can help me fix this and explain why it is happening? Oh and my PC is in Windows 10 but my...
  8. Frozen screen on my second monitor

Frozen screen on my second monitor: Been projecting my main pc to my laptop as a second external monitor for about 2 weeks. All of a sudden the screen projection on my laptop would freeze after a minute or two. Anybody can help me fix this and explain why it is happening? Oh and my PC is in Windows 10 but my...
  9. Computer is frozen But mouse still moves

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer is frozen But mouse still moves: My computer is frozen on the whole screen. I can move the mouse around but I can't click anything. This happened a few times now. In the past, I pressed the reboot button of the computer then everything was back. But I had a bad result after restarted the computer. The Word...
  10. Sudden freeze up, mouse still moves around frozen screen keyboard works slightly, No...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sudden freeze up, mouse still moves around frozen screen keyboard works slightly, No...: While watching news clips or youtube video >sudden freeze mouse still moves around frozen screen >key board only lets me open "windows key" + X menu "taskman" does not function or pop up after issue using menu, just like ICE-frozen, MUST REBOOT every time I watch...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. second screen frozen

2. the taskbar and cursor will work on my second monitor but nothing else

3. secondary display monitor windows 10 frozen

4. can move mouse to monitor but nothing else,
  5. 2nd monitor is frozen,
  6. monitor wakes and can move.mouse but nothing renders,
  7. unable to move mouse to second monitor in Windows 10,
  8. windows 10 second display frozen,
  9. cursor moves over second screen but nothing else,
  10. second display frozen,
  11. second monitor is frozen,