Windows 10: Second monitor not waking up

Discus and support Second monitor not waking up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am new in Ten. Regardless I use daily a remote machine with Windows 10 I just installed it on my own local computer a couple days ago (I had Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by YanKleber, Nov 25, 2020.

1. YanKleber Win User

Second monitor not waking up

I am new in Ten. Regardless I use daily a remote machine with Windows 10 I just installed it on my own local computer a couple days ago (I had Windows 7 on it before).

My PC has a dual monitor setup both plugged to the onboard adapters of my Gigabyte mobo. The main monitor is plugged to a DB-25 and the second to HDMI.

Today I left my computer alone for a while and when I returned both monitors were blacked out. As I shook the mouse the main monitor came back to life but the second monitor didn't. I tried to click around to see if it would wake it up but didn't get any response. When I entered "Display settings" instead to have two rectangles side by side representing my two monitors there was nothing meaning that Windows was seeing only one monitor.

Long story short I had to reboot the PC to fix the issue. I use exactly the same two monitors that I used in Windows 7 and I NEVER had such scenario before. Now I am anticipating that it will happen again any time my screen sleeps.

Any idea?

Thanks!

:)

YanKleber, Nov 25, 2020

2. Second monitor screen resolution problem

Hi,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your second monitor screen resolution, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?

• When did the issue first begin?

• To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try resetting your monitor settings, and check if the issue still persists. You may refer to your monitor on how to reset it.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Nov 25, 2020
  3. Issues while installing a second monitor in Windows 10

Really? I get a canned answer and nothing else? I posted that I had tried everything that I could find posted online. I did read the post that Andre suggested multiple times prior to posting this request for help. None of it helped.

My computer does not recognize that there is a second monitor is plugged in. The small step of changing the settings so I can put stuff on the second monitor ISN'T the issue. I am not that dumb. in the device manager there is only the single monitor listed
    at one point there was a unknown device listed but my computer did not know if it was a monitor or a printer.

There has to be someone out there that knows how to fix this

Please Help

squareknees, Nov 25, 2020
  4. Second monitor not waking up

issue with second monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

I would suggest you to download the display driver from the manufacturer's website. If there are no driver for windows 10, download the latest driver and install it in compatibility mode by following the steps below:

After you have downloaded the driver:

a) Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select "Properties".

b) Select "Compatibility" Tab.

c) Place a check mark next to "Run this program in Compatibility mode" and select the

appropriate operating system from the drop down list.

d) Let the driver install and then check the functionality

I would also suggest you to refer to the link below for steps to set up dual monitor in your system.

Connect a second monitor or projector (Applies to windows 10)

You can also refer to the suggestion by Karthik from this link
    for more information.

Hope this helps. Do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng1709, Nov 25, 2020
Thema:

Second monitor not waking up

1. Second monitor not waking up - Similar Threads - Second monitor waking

2. Second monitor goes to sleep and won’t wake up

in Windows 10 News
    Second monitor goes to sleep and won’t wake up: [IMG]If you have a dual monitor setup and the second monitor goes to sleep automatically without any sign to wake up, this article could be handy. Here are some of the tips to get rid of such problems – no matter whether you use Windows 11 or Windows 10. Also, the same...
  3. Second monitor not waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Second monitor not waking up from sleep: Hey there,I have a problem with my dual monitor setup and the problem is that my second monitors seems to have a problem with waking up from sleep mode. Primary monitor doesn't have this issue, which makes me kinda confused.The monitors are use Asus ProArt PA278QV, they both...
  4. Waking up second Monitor at start up

Waking up second Monitor at start up: Hello, I added a second monitor. When I power up or wake up the computer, The second monitor does not awaken. I need to power off and power on the second monitor. It otherwise works fine. Any idea what setting to adjust?...
  5. monitor waking up

monitor waking up: So this has been happing a for a while now. My monitor keeps waking up as if someone moved the mouse. I just built a new pc but this problem was also happening on my old pc too. Is there any way view what caused this? I checked event viewer but found nothing. The computer is...
  6. When the monitors time out, they wake up again a second later.

When the monitors time out, they wake up again a second later.: Hi,I noticed an issue where, when i lock my pc, I notice the screen goes black around 20 seconds later as it should, but then it wakes up around a second or two later.I've changed the Screen timeout under power settings to 1 minute. After 1 minute, it goes black then it comes...
  7. Monitor will not wake up

Monitor will not wake up: Win10 to latest update. My desktop is set to turn off display after 1 hr but the PC stays running cameras on PC. Before latest updates the display would turn off and with a wiggle of mouse, would wake up. Not anymore. I have to force shutdown of PC because it won't wake...
  8. Second monitor not waking up

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Second monitor not waking up: I am new in Ten. Regardless I use daily a remote machine with Windows 10 I just installed it on my own local computer a couple days ago (I had Windows 7 on it before). My PC has a dual monitor setup both plugged to the onboard adapters of my Gigabyte mobo. The main monitor...
  9. Second monitor not waking up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second monitor not waking up: Hi, I'm running 2 HP monitors, through DP connection, on an HP Elitedesk 800 G4, W10P 1909. This is a clean install with all updates applied. When the screens go to sleep, the secondary screen does not wake up automatically. When i go into display settings -> Multiple...
  10. Dual monitor pc second screen doesnt wake up on start up

Dual monitor pc second screen doesnt wake up on start up: I've had two high end pc's only upgrading from my last one yesterday which has a i7 9700k cpu, z390 aurous motherboard and gtx 1080 TI graphics card, I've never had problems with either other than my second screen not waking up on either computer, it doesn't matter which...