Windows 10: Second monitor not working anymore after Windows Update

Discus and support Second monitor not working anymore after Windows Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have two monitors for my computer. They both worked totally fine until the last Windows update. Now, my second monitor doesn't work anymore.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ElonTheFreemason, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Second monitor not working anymore after Windows Update

So I have two monitors for my computer. They both worked totally fine until the last Windows update. Now, my second monitor doesn't work anymore.

Here is some information to help you understand what the problem is:

• When I press the Windows Key + P, I get the following error: "Your PC can't project to another screen. Try reinstalling the driver or using a different video card."
    • I already tried to reinstall my driver, but that didn't fix the problem...
    • I tried to uninstall the update, but that didn't change anything.
    • I am sure that the cable and the screen are working (I tested them on another computer).
    • I tried to connect another screen to my computer, but it didn't work as well, so I am pretty sure that the problem comes from my computer.

I'd be very happy if you could help me. Thanks!

:)

ElonTheFreemason, Feb 13, 2019

2. I accidentally hit the update button instead of postpone and now my second monitor does not work.

Hello,

I suggest you to unplug the cable from the monitor and connect to the second monitor, and check if it works.

Also, suggest you to follow the below steps, and check if it helps.
    1. Press Windows + X, and select Device manager.
    2. Check if the second monitor is listed under Monitor.

Also, recommend you to refer below link answered by

KelvinNikkel , and check if it helps in resolving the issue.
    Why Does My Second Monitor Not Work With The Windows 10 Update?

Do let us know with the update of the issue.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Feb 13, 2019
  3. Second monitor not detected after update

Hi Tom,

There are several reasons that could have caused the issue you are experiencing. One of these is the update you previously performed in Windows, either it was not configured properly by the system or the update components were corrupted. Kindly answer the
    following questions for clarification:

• Have you tried updating the monitor and display drivers?
    • Have you tried to use another user profile to check if the issue re-occurs?

Furthermore, we suggest that you add the other monitor manually. This is to ensure that the second monitor is still connected after the update. Here are the steps:

• Type connected devices and open Connected Devices on the
      Windows Search bar.
    • Click Add devices.
    • Select the Second screen.
    • Pick one of the 3 options: Duplicate, Extend, and the Second screen only.
    • The Duplicate option will duplicate the primary display to secondary display.
    • The Extend option will unite two monitors so you can use them both as one.
    • The Second screen only option will, obviously, disable primary and use only the secondary monitor.
    • Once you’ve chosen the preferred mode, save changes.

We're looking forward to your response.

PreciousLeb, Feb 13, 2019
  4. Second monitor not working anymore after Windows Update

Second Monitor Not Working Anymore

Ok so, for the basics: Using a Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 970, bought it and first installed while using Windows 8.1, the DVI-D port worked and I was able to do two monitors, easy for a while, however updated to Windows 10. Friend hit put monitors to sleep when
    I left for work(something I never do). Now I get back and for whatever reason, it won't detect my second monitor in the DVI-D port anymore, I switch monitor ports from the working one to check if the cable or the monitor was at fault, nope it worked in the
    other port but this is limiting me to one monitor. I also should mention, when I updated to Windows 10 it worked fine. It wasn't until my friend hit put monitors to sleep that the problem arose. This is frustrating because I'm using two newish monitors that
    don't have hdmi ports or anything just VGA and DVI ports so I can't do a simple work around. Contacting Gigabyte is fruitless so far so I can here for help since I figured it might have something to do with windows itself like a command code or something that
    caused the port to stop responding all together when it put the monitors to sleep. I've read on forums of a lot of people having issues with the DVI-D port not working on their new GTX 970s however they all state it was on installation of the GPU that they
    couldn't connect on boot up, however mine did and worked for a good while, until as mentioned during the "put monitors to sleep".

JohnPeterson404, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

Second monitor not working anymore after Windows Update

1. Second monitor not working anymore after Windows Update - Similar Threads - Second monitor working

2. second monitor not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    second monitor not working: I tried everything I can find online updated the driver, downloaded the driver from AMD website, rolled back driver. updated USB port drivers, restarted my laptop multiple times changed the HDMI to USBC adapter and made sure it works on other PCs. When I go on display...
  3. My second monitor stopped working after updating windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My second monitor stopped working after updating windows 11: Hello, I've tried all the possible solutions online, from updating drivers, to rolling back drivers I use a DP connection to my Asus monitor from an MSI laptop.it was working fine for about 2 years and since the last update, it stopped working.I rolled back some windows...
  4. My second monitor stopped working after updating windows 11

My second monitor stopped working after updating windows 11: Hello, I've tried all the possible solutions online, from updating drivers, to rolling back drivers I use a DP connection to my Asus monitor from an MSI laptop.it was working fine for about 2 years and since the last update, it stopped working.I rolled back some windows...
  5. Second Monitor Not Working

Second Monitor Not Working: Hello. I just recently reset my pc because of slow performance and just wanted to clear my drive. I set everything up perfectly, but for some reason my second monitor will not work. The monitor is detected, and puts up a display, but i cant move my mouse onto the screen or...
  6. Second monitor not found after Windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second monitor not found after Windows update: I am having issues connecting my second monitor to my laptop. On Thursday 7/15 it detected the monitor and was asked to update during shut down. Today 7/20 it will now not detect the monitor. Have followed all trouble shooting steps from restarting all the way to uninstalling...
  7. Second Monitor not working after recent update

Second Monitor not working after recent update: Hi, I recently plugged in a old NEC LCD1715 monitor, I had laying around for dual screens. I needed a vga to usb port adapter for my HP Omni100 PC desktop in order to plug the monitor into my computer. I installed the driver that came with the adapter and my windows 10...
  8. second monitor on HDMI not recognized anymore after 3 days

second monitor on HDMI not recognized anymore after 3 days: My 1st monitor is connected with an KVM switch using the VGA port of my desktop. It worked perfectly with windows 7 for many years and with windows 10 since last year. In February I got myself a second monitor which I attached directly to my desktop using the HDMI port of...
  9. Second monitor won't work in "Extend" mode anymore

in Windows 10 Customization
    Second monitor won't work in "Extend" mode anymore: Good morning. I've been using a laptop with a second monitor for more than 2 months, and i had no trouble up until now. The issues is that the second monitor won't go into "Extend" mode. It works in "Dublicate", and "Second monitor only", but when i try to set it into...
  10. Windows 10 not detecting second monitor anymore.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 not detecting second monitor anymore.: I have a 1080 Ti and two monitors, FI27QP as my main and VG240Y as secondary. Both connected to GPU via Displayport cables. Last night both were detected just fine. I turned PC on this morning and second monitor is not being detected. Thought maybe it was the DP cable port on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. second screen not working after windows update

2. second monotor is not working after the update

3. second screen doesnt work anymore