Windows 10: Second monitor recognized, but display is black (no display) - windows 10

Discus and support Second monitor recognized, but display is black (no display) - windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone, i recently bought a new PC- a PowerSpec B729 (running windows 10). I Was able to successfully connect two monitors to it. The second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hellothere123ye, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Second monitor recognized, but display is black (no display) - windows 10

Hi everyone,

i recently bought a new PC- a PowerSpec B729 (running windows 10). I Was able to successfully connect two monitors to it. The second monitor was connected using a VGA (on the monitor) to HDMI (on the computer) cable and its display was fine for the first few days. After a few days the second monitor started randomly going black for a few seconds around every half hour. I thought the problem might be with the cable (it was a few years old) so i switched it out with a new one (same exact kind- monitor’s VGA to computer’s HDMI.

Here’s where it gets weird. My computer recognizes that there’s a device plugged in, and when I go into the settings it shows that there are two monitors and allows me to choose which one I want to use as my primary monitor. However, no matter what I do, the second monitor continues to remain black and display nothing. It goes into sleep mode- I can tell because the light that indicates whether it’s power is on or not slashes slowly, rather than staying permanently lit as it does when the monitor is on and not sleeping.
    I would think that the problem is with the cable, the den how is my computer detecting the second monitor? Also, I was able to use the same exact type of cable a few days ago, and my computer is not only detected the second monitor, but also displayed stuff on it.

here us a list of everything ive tried:

I have tried duplicating and extending my monitor several times.

I have tried restarting we computer several times.

I have tried plugging and unplugging all cables attached to my computer, including the power cables for both monitors.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for my monitors as well as the graphics card of my computer (i think thats what its called).
    I have tried performing a system wide sweep to detect any problems with hardware or software, and it came back that everything was 100% OK.

I have tried duplicating and extending my monitor several times.

i spent hours yesterday looking through hundreds of windows forums and youtube videos and was unable to find a solution. Why is it so hard?? This is a brand new computer and a high quality Dell monitor that i have used for years with no problems.

any suggestions would be HIGHLY appreciated, as I am writing my dissertation and having twi screens would be very very helpful.

thanks in advance!!

:)

hellothere123ye, Oct 14, 2019

2. Second (extended) Display recognized but black

I just attempted to fix black extended display issue by upgrading Nvidia 765m driver. Nothing changed. I tested dual display function with Nirsoft's MultiMonitor tool (which DOES show the blue windows background image on the extended monitor in preview),
    but the extended display remains black. I think the issue may have been caused by a recent Windows-10 update. I have also tried swapping monitors, but both are good elsewhere. I could use some additional suggestions.

MikeLandis, Oct 14, 2019
  3. Second Monitor recognized but not displaying anything

My second monitor shows up in my Device manager. It is an Acer V223w model monitor, but the device manager recognizes it as an X193HQL for some reason. It had been working with this configuration since my upgrade to Windows 10. When I powered up my
    system today, however, the second monitor did not display anything. It wasn't a black screen; it appeared to be off. Also, the light next to the power button is cycling from orange (power save mode) to blue (power on) to off (power off). Anyone have any
    thoughts?

ExhaustedElox, Oct 14, 2019
  4. David Haz Win User

Second monitor recognized, but display is black (no display) - windows 10

windows not recognizing second monitor

Hello,

Windows may not recognize another external display device if the display drivers are outdated, or that the monitor is turned off or not plugged in correctly, etc. For us to isolate the issue in connecting a second monitor in Windows 10, kindly respond to
    the questions below:

• Have you made any significant changes to your device prior to the issue?
    • Did the second monitor work before?
    • Have you tried using the monitor to a different computer?
    • What happens if you disconnect your primary monitor and connect the second monitor to make it the main monitor?

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, Oct 14, 2019
Thema:

Second monitor recognized, but display is black (no display) - windows 10

1. Second monitor recognized, but display is black (no display) - windows 10 - Similar Threads - Second monitor recognized

2. Second monitor recognized but won't display an image Display 2 isn't active

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor recognized but won't display an image Display 2 isn't active: I have an MSI Katana laptop and sometimes hook up my 4k monitor as an alternate or second displayUsually, this works fine but stopped functioning when I changed colour settings via Nvidia Control Panel. Windows recognizes that a display is attached but automatically reverts...
  3. Second monitor recognized but won't display an image Display 2 isn't active

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second monitor recognized but won't display an image Display 2 isn't active: I have an MSI Katana laptop and sometimes hook up my 4k monitor as an alternate or second displayUsually, this works fine but stopped functioning when I changed colour settings via Nvidia Control Panel. Windows recognizes that a display is attached but automatically reverts...
  4. Second monitor display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second monitor display: I bought a surface usb-c to display adapter usb-c into VGA adapter since my computer doesn't have its own VGA port and I have connected them properly but my computer says that it doesnt recognize the connection. I have no signal to my second monitor and I have no idea how to...
  5. Display on Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display on Second Monitor: Hi, When I connected my laptop Windows 10 to the second display through HDMI, there is no extended or duplicate display on the second monitor. Is there anything else I have to do to make the second monitor/display working? I will appreciate advise. Thanks, Verma...
  6. Display Settings for Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Display Settings for Second Monitor: Display setting is not working for my second monitor since installing Windows 10 on my PC. It does not allow me to set up second monitor, please help. Have check driver set up, still not working....
  7. Second (extended) Display recognized but black

Second (extended) Display recognized but black: I just attempted to fix black extended display issue by upgrading Nvidia 765m driver. Nothing changed. I tested dual display function with Nirsoft's MultiMonitor tool (which DOES show the blue windows background image on the extended monitor in preview), but the extended...
  8. Second monitor won't display - Windows 10

Second monitor won't display - Windows 10: As the title says, I'm having an issue where the second monitor in my set-up won't display in Windows. Configuration: Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth A170 Mark 1 CPU: Intel i5-6600K GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX590 running Radeon Adrenalin 19.2.2 Monitor 1:...
  9. duplicate display on second monitor in windows 10

duplicate display on second monitor in windows 10: I recently purchased a second monitor (AOC e1659 fwu) to work with my HP Elitebook on Windows 10. No problem getting the second monitor to work in extended mode. But I'd like for it to work in duplicate mode. When I press the Windows Key + P, I can select the option for...
  10. second laptop for display monitor

second laptop for display monitor: Won't detect https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-laptop-for-display-monitor/744493e6-624f-456e-8663-0dfc47c6b535