Windows 10: Second (not new) hdd dynamic foreign

Discus and support Second (not new) hdd dynamic foreign in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi my second hdd died unfortunately , but I took another hdd from my older comp.. I just attached it, device manager see's it and also disk manager..... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AlexKrycek, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Second (not new) hdd dynamic foreign

Hi my second hdd died unfortunately , but I took another hdd from my older comp..
    I just attached it, device manager see's it and also disk manager.. but.. file explorer doesnt see it..

I saved a screen shot but the info from right clicking the drive didnt save.. this is the info from right click

I right click the drive in disk manager and get 2 options..
    Import foreign disks
    Convert to basic disk

Which should I choose ?

It would be cool to keep any data on it incase theres something I need, but I will have saved what was important Im sure... its been a few years since I used it...

Thanks for any advice..

:)

AlexKrycek, Feb 26, 2019
  2. Tom Soon Win User

Any risks of losing data on the HDD by importing dynamic "Foreign Disks"

After a sector-by-sector system disk recovery of Windows 10, both of my user HDDs, configured as mirrored disks, recognized as dynamic "foreign disks".

Found some information about importing the "foreign disk" so the system can recognize them again.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771775(v=ws.11).aspx#BKMK_4

Like to make sure there is no risk of losing data on importing these "Foreign Disks" before I do it. Can't find any useful information on Microsoft websites to give me a definitively answer to address my concerns.

Could anyone had such experiences please provide any pointing of directions or answers?

Otherwise, have to figure out a way to backup the huge volume of data before I do it.

Thanks a great deal.

Tom Soon, Feb 26, 2019
  3. Foreign Disk

Hi,

You will only lose the data in the Foreign Disk once you convert it to a "Basic Disk" in Disk Management.

To allow the disk to be recognized, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type "Disk Management" and click on it.
    • Right-click on the foreign disk and select "Import Foreign Disks..."

Feel free to post back with more information.

Israel Arn, Feb 26, 2019
  4. Second (not new) hdd dynamic foreign

Dynamic hdd in Windows 10

I currently have all my hdds set up as dynamic discs (minus the sdd I use as a boot drive) and have each one mirrored to an identical hdd, each housed within a server chasis with hot swap bays...each hdd is dynamic. I did this because I didn't want to
    ever lose my media, pics, etc. I thought if a "main" hdd died, I could use the "backup" hdd as the main and plug in a new hdd to use as a backup. I was told this was not possible...would any of you have any ideas how I could achieve this? Worst case scenario,
    I could probably turn them from dynamic to basic and use software (like Nero) to perform backups daily but that would take forever!

BlG DADdee, Feb 26, 2019
Thema:

Second (not new) hdd dynamic foreign

1. Second (not new) hdd dynamic foreign - Similar Threads - Second hdd dynamic

2. Second HDD not recognized.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Second HDD not recognized.: I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop that has a main HDD with Windows 10 Pro, but does not recognize another HDD that's dual-boot with Windows 10 and Linux Lite.I first tried to connect the second drive internally with the cables connected to the DVD drive. It said "Not...
  3. Second HDD not recognized.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second HDD not recognized.: I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop that has a main HDD with Windows 10 Pro, but does not recognize another HDD that's dual-boot with Windows 10 and Linux Lite.I first tried to connect the second drive internally with the cables connected to the DVD drive. It said "Not...
  4. Second HDD not recognized.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disable second HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable second HDD: Hey! On my machine I have one SSD and one HDD. The SSD holds two OSs - Win10 and Linux, the HDD is formatted ext4 for the Linux (which is the daily driver on the machine). When I'm using Win10, there's no point in the HDD spinning (noise, wear), because for it it's...
  6. Second HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Second HDD: Hello, i have some problems with my additional HDD, it has power and its starts up but i cant see it in my computer. i also entered bios and i cant find a way to “turn on” the second HDD....
  7. How to Solve Dynamic Disk1 Foreign Status

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Solve Dynamic Disk1 Foreign Status: Hi professional, I'm going through a difficult problem. My computer's External Hard Drive not being detected. The warning sign is Dynamic Disk1 (foreign) *Sad I'm just searching for the best solution to discover it well without Losing Data? [img] 128506
  8. Dynamic (foreign) Disks1 Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dynamic (foreign) Disks1 Issue: When I finished installing Windows 10. I've found the issue that my external hard drive is not showing up, It is looking Dynamic Disks1 (foreign) :( So, anyone could you please give me a hand to solve the issue without Loss of Data? [ATTACH]...
  9. Install second hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install second hdd: Hi. Just decided to install a second HDD to hold my documents photos etc how would I set that drive H to save my items. I want all my stuff to save to that H HHD automatic upon selecting save as. My C drive has the O/P and all programs. Any help please. Thanks. 89943
  10. "Basic" or "Dynamic volume/partition method for HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Basic" or "Dynamic volume/partition method for HDD?: Hi, Do you recommend "basic" or "dynamic" volume/partition method in Windows 10? I plan to format a new 4TB HDD to be used for 3 purposes: 1. A secondary disk for windows paging file. Size = 3xRAM = 50 GB 2. Data drive (mydocs, music, video, photo, downloads, etc.)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HDD dynamic foreign