Windows 10: Second Screen Only but not switching to first when TV off

Discus and support Second Screen Only but not switching to first when TV off in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello everyone,I am dealing with a quite frustrating issue with a new TV.Basically, my usual setup is that I have a laptop connected to a TV with an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Piotr Wilk Piotr.Wilk, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Second Screen Only but not switching to first when TV off

Hello everyone,I am dealing with a quite frustrating issue with a new TV.Basically, my usual setup is that I have a laptop connected to a TV with an HDMI obviously.The projection is set to Second Screen Only, when TV is off it switches automatically to my laptop screen. When I turn the TV on, it automatically switches to a TV and the laptop screen is off.Scenario: Working at my desk, decided it is the end of the day for me. Going to be, want to watch Netflix now. Turning the TV on and the laptop should go off as its light distracts me.Putting it to sleep for a night, everything off.Waking up

:)

Piotr Wilk Piotr.Wilk, Nov 24, 2022
  2. spapakons Win User

Laptop freezes when switching from screen to TV (HDMI)

I suspect this is because of some static electricity build up on the cable that screws the system and cannot tell whether to switch to HDMI output or keep using the internal screen. Since I have no more replies, I'll mark it solved. Any suggestions welcome. As said before the workaround it to first switch on the TV and then connect the HDMI cable. Works 99%.

spapakons, Nov 24, 2022
  3. running second screen

Hi Todd,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

First, you need to make sure that your TV supports HDMI/DVI/VGA cable in order to use your TV as a second monitor. If your TV as well as your computer has
    HDMI/DVI/VGA cable, then follow the below steps to use your TV as a second monitor, so that you can use multiple applications on 2 different screens.

Step 1: Turn off both your computer as well as your TV and make a connection between both of them using
    HDMI/DVI/VGA cable.

Step 2: Then, turn on your computer and TV, then switch your TV to the correct input.

Note: Make sure to select the input that you connected the cable to on your TV. Most TV remotes have an
    Input or Source button that will allow you to chose (Please refer your TV manual to switch the input).

Step 3: Once you switch the correct input mode on your TV, press the
    Windows and P keys to open Project menu and you can select
    Extend to use your TV as a second monitor and use multiple applications.

Note: Your computer's monitor and your TV may have different resolutions and your TV's display may be blurry when you switch over. Use the
    Resolution slider in the Screen Resolution/Properties window to select a clear resolution.

For reference, you may also refer to Set up dual monitors on Windows 10 and check if this helps.

Give it a shot and let us know of any changes.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Nov 24, 2022
  4. Brink Win User

Second Screen Only but not switching to first when TV off

Brink, Nov 24, 2022
Thema:

Second Screen Only but not switching to first when TV off

1. Second Screen Only but not switching to first when TV off - Similar Threads - Second Screen switching

2. Movies & TV and Windows Media Player only play audio for the first few seconds of videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Movies & TV and Windows Media Player only play audio for the first few seconds of videos: When I open a video in Movies & TV or Windows Media Player the first few seconds of the video plays only audio with a black screen on Movies & TV or only audio and a freeze frame of the video on Windows Media Player. On Windows Media Player if I set the video to repeat, the...
  3. Movies & TV and Windows Media Player only play audio for the first few seconds of videos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Movies & TV and Windows Media Player only play audio for the first few seconds of videos: When I open a video in Movies & TV or Windows Media Player the first few seconds of the video plays only audio with a black screen on Movies & TV or only audio and a freeze frame of the video on Windows Media Player. On Windows Media Player if I set the video to repeat, the...
  4. Second Screen Only but not switching to first when TV off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Screen Only but not switching to first when TV off: Hello everyone,I am dealing with a quite frustrating issue with a new TV.Basically, my usual setup is that I have a laptop connected to a TV with an HDMI obviously.The projection is set to Second Screen Only, when TV is off it switches automatically to my laptop screen. When...
  5. Can zoom screen be put on TV as second screen? But only showing the participants

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can zoom screen be put on TV as second screen? But only showing the participants: I hope this is the correct place to post this. I’m attempting to show zoom meetings on the tv. I currently use an HDMI into the laptop and connect it no problem. But can I view only the full speaker view rather than it showing me doing host duties as well? I hope that’s...
  6. TV as second display switching off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    TV as second display switching off: I have been using my TV a hisense with a 6 year old acer laptop running windows 10 connected with an hdmi cable with no problems. I bought a Lenovo in August and the TV connects fine but when I drag a window to the tv and click the square to maximise the window the tv...
  7. Tv as second screen

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Tv as second screen: Hi! I have a GTX 1060 with 1 hdmi port, the motherboard has an hdmi port too, but doesn't work. What id the best solution to make this work? View attachment 9764 View attachment 9765 View attachment 9764 View attachment 9765
  8. Windows 10 Loading for couple of seconds then screen switches off ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Loading for couple of seconds then screen switches off ?: Hello guys , I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but it is regarding windows 10 if its the issue . Or maybe the laptop itself . I am not a big tech guy but i know the veeery basics . So yesterday i tried playing a Counter Strike game , (im gaming every day)...
  9. Sound reverts to PC speakers when TV switched off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound reverts to PC speakers when TV switched off: Equipment LG TV <===> Pioneer AV AMP <===> Radeon card in HP Z600 <===> HDMI Monitor Windows 10 Pro I want use Netflix , Youtube, Groove etc on my TV with the sound going through my HiFi speakers. I also watch Netflix on my TV originating from my PC. Netflix on a PC...
  10. Intel HD 530 looses second monitor when TV is off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Intel HD 530 looses second monitor when TV is off: My config: Intel Core i5 6500 with Intel HD 530 Gigabyte H170 Motherboard AMD Radeon R9 380 Windows 10 ver.1511 with all latest drivers are installed. A regular ASUS Monitor is connected through DVI to AMD Radeon Graphics Card and is set as the primary monitor An...