Windows 10: Second screen with dual monitors randomly goes black

Discus and support Second screen with dual monitors randomly goes black in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone; What is happening: I have 2 identical monitors on the Displayports, and the second screen randomly goes black between 1-30minutes for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by turbello, Apr 28, 2019.

1. turbello Win User

Second screen with dual monitors randomly goes black

Hi everyone;

What is happening:

I have 2 identical monitors on the Displayports, and the second screen randomly goes black between 1-30minutes for 0.5 - 3 seconds.

I got a brand new windows 10 installation without any unnecessary programs. So there is no 3th party tools. Also I can fix this problem with using 1x HDMI and 1x DPI but I got a VR so I need the HDMI port for that. So I would rather fix the problem then work around it instead of everyday switching the cables.

What I have:

- Microsoft WIndows 10 Pro

- Motherboard: Z370 AORUS ultra Gaming

- Processor: Intel Core i7 - 8700K @ 3.7KGz

- Graphics: GeForce GTX 1070 (GIGABYTE 8GB D5 GTX 1070 G1 Gaming rev.2 / NVIDIA)

- Dual monitor AOC G2460VQ6 on 1080p (1920x1080) / 60Hz (Max Hz on this monitor)

What I've tried:

- New DPI cables

- Disable services

- Switching main monitor

- Updating driver of monitor and graphics

- Disabling sleepmode

- Disabling fastboot

- Disabling DDC/CI from monitor settings

- Undercloking my monitor to 59Hz

- Overclocking my monitor to 61Hz

- :Nvidia control panel trying: changing things like the display scaling settings, disabling monitor speakers etc

- Windows + Ctrl + Shift + B: both screen flicks and I head a beep

- And many other fixes

Thanks for the incoming answers!

:)

turbello, Apr 28, 2019

2. Windows 10 Second Monitor goes black when set as main screen

i am trying to set my second monitor as the main display and whe i do that it goes black. When i set them as CLONE display they are fine but when i try to play a game the second monitor goes black AGAIN.

I am trying to set the second monitor as the main screen to see if i can game on the bigger screen instead but the monitor goes black when i set it as the main screen.

Intel Display drivers are fine. I had no problems with this before... But usually like always, Windows make some updates and now i am having this issue.

I haven't been able to find a solution to this.

Idk if its the resolution but when i set it as CLONE display they both show up fine, until i try to play a game and then goes black again.

powerhousepr, Apr 28, 2019
  3. W10 Screen goes black when HDMI monitor plugged in

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you aware of any changes made to this computer prior to the issue?
    2. Are you trying to use dual-monitor setup?
    3. What is the make and model number of your laptop?

In Project option from notification area, you will have the following 4 options and their functions.

1) PC screen only - This option will only enable your main monitor or your laptops display. Once you enable this option, your second monitor will go black.

2) Duplicate - This option will duplicate the same image on both the displays.

3) Extend - This option will extend the image to your second display, so that you can use both images as a single desktop, giving you the ability to move windows from one screen to the other.

4) Second screen only - In this option, you will only see the image on the second monitor and not your primary display, so once you turn on this option, your main display/laptops screen will go black.

If you have enabled the correct option and still facing issues, then I suggest you to
    Update Graphics Drivers and check for the issue.

Note: Before updating the Graphics Drivers,
    disconnect your second monitor
    . Once you update the Graphics Drivers,
    restart the computer once
    , and connect your second monitor via HDMI and check for the issue.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Shafeeq_Khan, Apr 28, 2019
  4. Second screen with dual monitors randomly goes black

second monitor

Hi Pauline,

Some of the advantages of having multiple screens (dual monitor) are it increases your productivity or it allows you to do multitasking. When awaking your PC after putting it to sleep, it will be directed at the sign in page. Normally,
    the second monitor will just reflect black screen and the main monitor will reflect the sign in page. After signing in, your second monitor will automatically open if it is turned on.

If the second monitor doesn’t turn on, we recommend that you run the Power troubleshooter by following these steps:

• Click the Start button, then type Control Panel and then press
      Enter.
    • Change the View by option on the top-right to Large icons.
    • Click on Troubleshooting, and click on the View all option on the left pane.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.

If the issue persists, kindly refer to the resolution provided by
    breadbox88 in this
    thread
    and check if it will help you with the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Efraim Gar, Apr 28, 2019
Thema:

Second screen with dual monitors randomly goes black

1. Second screen with dual monitors randomly goes black - Similar Threads - Second screen dual

2. monitor goes black for a few seconds.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    monitor goes black for a few seconds.: So I have two monitors. The second one always gets detected as no1 when plugged in. It doesnt matter if its HDMI or DP.The main monitor set to 2 in the control panel is a viewsonic HDR monitor. HDMI 2.1 and Dp1.4a.This happens only in 1 game. during normal use this has never...
  3. monitor goes black for a few seconds.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    monitor goes black for a few seconds.: So I have two monitors. The second one always gets detected as no1 when plugged in. It doesnt matter if its HDMI or DP.The main monitor set to 2 in the control panel is a viewsonic HDR monitor. HDMI 2.1 and Dp1.4a.This happens only in 1 game. during normal use this has never...
  4. Random black screen on dual monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random black screen on dual monitors: I’m having a issue with my gaming pc that sometimes it randomly gives me a black screen for one or both of my monitors and I’m trying to figure out how to fix it...
  5. Random black screen on dual monitors

Random black screen on dual monitors: I’m having a issue with my gaming pc that sometimes it randomly gives me a black screen for one or both of my monitors and I’m trying to figure out how to fix it...
  6. Screen goes black randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black randomly: Hello everyone,The screen of a Windows Server 2012 Essentials with version 6.2.920000 randomly turns black and the system seems to be frozen, forcing us to physically reboot the machine.It happens completely by surprise.By looking into the event visor, everything seems pretty...
  7. Screen goes black randomly

Screen goes black randomly: Hello everyone,The screen of a Windows Server 2012 Essentials with version 6.2.920000 randomly turns black and the system seems to be frozen, forcing us to physically reboot the machine.It happens completely by surprise.By looking into the event visor, everything seems pretty...
  8. Monitor briefly black screening for a few seconds in dual monitor setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor briefly black screening for a few seconds in dual monitor setup: Recently I went from a single monitor to a dual monitor setup. For the most part things are going fine however something that I have been noticing occurring is that every so often my main display will go black for a few seconds and then come back, and this has been happening...
  9. Monitor briefly black screening for a few seconds in dual monitor setup

Monitor briefly black screening for a few seconds in dual monitor setup: Recently I went from a single monitor to a dual monitor setup. For the most part things are going fine however something that I have been noticing occurring is that every so often my main display will go black for a few seconds and then come back, and this has been happening...
  10. Primary monitor randomly goes black

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Primary monitor randomly goes black: Got a monitor issue. Looked at other posts about this issue be could not find anything addressing my issue. Over the past few months, my primary monitor randomly (no pattern to the issue) goes black but the led shows it to still be working. Secondary monitor is working. Only...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dual screen second screen goes black

2. dual screen setup randomly black

3. primary monitor in a dual monitor setup randomly goes black

4. screen goes balck randomly on extra monitors