Windows 10: Second user unable to see external drives with Windows 10

Discus and support Second user unable to see external drives with Windows 10 in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Our family computer is set up with an administrator and a second user. The administrator can see all external hard drives, however they are hidden from... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by sanfairyanne, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Second user unable to see external drives with Windows 10

Our family computer is set up with an administrator and a second user. The administrator can see all external hard drives, however they are hidden from the second user. I hoped that by making the second user an administrator access would be allowed, but this does not help. It is not even possible to see the drives let alone open them. I would greatly appreciate some help with this matter, many thanks in advance.

:)

sanfairyanne, Nov 5, 2020

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Nov 5, 2020
  3. JoeJY Win User
    Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

I have Defender Windows 10. I tried using custom scan to select and scan external drives. The screen listing the drives comes up, but the "OK" button remains grayed out so unable to scan any of the drives listed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JoeJY, Nov 5, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Second user unable to see external drives with Windows 10

unable to rename external hard drive

Hi,

I suggest you to ensure you are logged into an Administrator user account and check if you still find the issue. Generally the error message is related to permissions. If you do not have sufficient permissions to view the file/folder/drive you
    get this error message. I suggest you to try to take the ownership of the external drive and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on Command Prompt
            (Admin).

• Type in the command takeown /f <drive_name> \ /R /D Y

• You can replace the < drive_name(F)>
            with the target drive name.
    Refer, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2623670(Applies to Windows
    10)

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pavan_N, Nov 5, 2020
Thema:

Second user unable to see external drives with Windows 10

1. Second user unable to see external drives with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Second user unable

2. Windows 10 does not see external hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 does not see external hard drives: As the title says, Windows 10 doesn't see my external drives, but it does see a USB stick. Background: I have shrunk C: Drive, created a simple volume with disk management and it shows as new volume? F:, which is behind my Data drive. I don't know if this is coincidence or if...
  3. Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10: Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10 hi all I have just set up a Windows 10 desktop with a clean install for a friend. they had windows 7 on an old desktop so I copied their data to the new pc using an external HDD. however as a back up I have taken...
  4. Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10: hi all I have just set up a Windows 10 desktop with a clean install for a friend. they had windows 7 on an old desktop so I copied their data to the new pc using an external HDD. however as a back up I have taken out the old hard drive and placed it in a hard drive caddy so...
  5. Win 10 Upgrade not seeing external drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Upgrade not seeing external drives: Laptop is demanding I upgrade from 8.1 to 10. However it doesn't recognize two external drives that I attached, with each one having the available space required. Win 8.1 can see the drive in all other windows and apps. I can even run the upgrade shortcut from the...
  6. Trouble Seeing External Drive

Trouble Seeing External Drive: I have been using a WD My Passport external drive since 2006. Beginning in Dec 2019, none of my laptops can "see" the external drive when I plug in the USB cable. Using Disk Manager, it says that there are 931 GB Unallocated and disk not been initialized. What happened?...
  7. Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window

Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window: I have an external USB drive with data from a previous computer that I want to transfer to my new Surface2 Computer. Device manager says it is working properly and drivers are up to date, but I can not access it through Explorer window. I don't see the option to add a drive...
  8. Unable to see external hard drive

Unable to see external hard drive: Hi, When I look in my computer or device manager my external hard drives are not visible. However, when I connect the hard drives it makes the usb connection sound. The drives are visible when connected to a different computer. But not when connected to a different usb on...
  9. Windows not seeing external drive

Windows not seeing external drive: I've just moved flat and when I setup my desktop PC again, Win 10 does not see the external USB 3.0, 1 Tb disk drive I have on my system. I had previously noticed this with another small drive but hadn't got round to dealing with it. My flash drives - 2.0 and 3.0 - all work...
  10. Unable to see External Hard Drive using USB - SATA Connector

Unable to see External Hard Drive using USB - SATA Connector: The power went out while doing a Windows 10 update. I purchased a USB to SATA connector, connected it to another Windows 10 PC's USB port. The external hard drive that I removed from my other PC is not showing in Windows File Manager. 40757