Windows 10: secondary disk drive is locking up my whole computer

Discus and support secondary disk drive is locking up my whole computer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Following the latest windows update my computer had a number of problems, which have been resolved -- mostly. I have a 500 gb WD disk that has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BurlBeene, Dec 27, 2019.

1. BurlBeene Win User

secondary disk drive is locking up my whole computer

Following the latest windows update my computer had a number of problems, which have been resolved -- mostly.

I have a 500 gb WD disk that has been used to store data files, photos, etc. I installed and formatted another disk for storage, a 1 tb WD. I would like to move the data that is on the old problem disk to the new disk. But even though I put the old problem disk on an external usb hookup, the whole system, including my C disk, continues to lock up when I click on the File Explorer icon on the desktop task bar or when I click on a folder in the old problem disk. So, I am unable to access or move files.

On the problem disk in the file explorer window the yellow/green bar drags across the top of the window and then halts when I do click on a folder.

I did the Task Manager routine of restarting File Explorer and so on, but the problem just returns.

But then problem does not exist when I remove the problem disk from inside the computer or from the usb hookup. The computer works fine then.

I remember that the problem disk was about half to two-thirds full before it started having problems. If that amount of space has changed since, I have no idea.

Everything I have seen that offers solutions seems to focus on the main operating system disk, C. But I could not see any solutions relevant to secondary or storage drives. If a solution was applicable to another drive, I don't know how to change the drive designation to it or to get the solution procedure to connect to it.

It would be nice to get the problem drive working again, or better still get its files moved over to the newer larger disk -- without the problems on the old disk coming with them.

Thanks for your patience.

:)

BurlBeene, Dec 27, 2019

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Dec 27, 2019
  3. Sichuan Win User
    Computer Management-Upgraded Internal Secondary Hard Drive

I have a Dell XPS-17 L702X laptop running Windows 10 Pro x64. I upgraded my 500GB internal secondary drive to a 1TB drive. I did not do a quick format of this new 1TB but rather did the full, longer format. The new, upgraded 1TB secondary drive was made active and assigned the drive letter D, which is the same drive letter as the original 500GB internal secondary drive. I don't have any problems accessing this new 1TB Drive D but I notice a problem with the drive listings in Computer Management.

I know that Drive C is the OS drive and is marked Disk 0 and that my internal secondary Drive D should be marked as Disk 1. However, the internal secondary drive is listed twice, once as Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting) and also as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition). I think I made a mistake during the initial formatting when I chose quick format and then cancelled the operation, instead selecting the full format.

I believe that my new, internal secondary drive should be marked in Computer Management as Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition). How do I remove the extra listing "Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting), which is the third listing down from the top? I don't know why is still shows as "Formatting" because when I attempt to cancel this listing it tells me that it is already formatted.

I have attached a screenshot of my Computer Management window. You can disregard "New Volume F" as this is an external 1TB drive that I use as a backup for my Drive D and also to store a redundant copy of an Acronis full backup of Drive C. I am currently transferring the information from my old 500 GB Secondary Drive D which I had previously copied to New Volume F, from the New Volume F drive to my new 1TBSecondary Drive D, the one listed as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition).

How do I remove the extra listing "Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting) and if I remove it will the listing now shown as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition) be relisted as Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition) or will it still be listed as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition)? I can't find any way to delete "Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting)" and I don't know if I will cause problems by deleting it. In any event, I have an extra drive listing in Computer Management that should not be there.

I have also attached a screenshot of how these drives are listed on my computer under "This PC" in the Start Menu. I could be wrong, but I believe that my internal secondary drive should be listed as Local Disk D.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Sichuan, Dec 27, 2019
  4. Arily Win User

System restore and secondary drives

So my setup. I have 2 drives in my computer an SSD and HDD. The SSD came shipped with my computer and I installed the HDD as a secondary drive. I've been using it as storage for all my pictures music etc. I've also installed a couple programs on there. My question is if I do a system restore can I do it without wiping out the secondary drive? How would I go about doing it? Step by step. What would happen to the program's installed on there after the restore?

Thank you.

Arily, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

1. secondary disk drive is locking up my whole computer - Similar Threads - secondary disk drive

2. My secondary Hard disk drives showing locked and asking for Bitlocker key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My secondary Hard disk drives showing locked and asking for Bitlocker key: Hi Guru's,Here is my problem.I have replaced my DELL inspiron's HDDWindows10 with SSD a year ago. Now I wanted to add my old HDD back as secondary disk using Caddy and did it. When I switch on the laptop I see the secondary HDD drives are locked and asking for a 48 digit...
  3. My secondary Hard disk drives showing locked and asking for Bitlocker key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My secondary Hard disk drives showing locked and asking for Bitlocker key: Hi Guru's,Here is my problem.I have replaced my DELL inspiron's HDDWindows10 with SSD a year ago. Now I wanted to add my old HDD back as secondary disk using Caddy and did it. When I switch on the laptop I see the secondary HDD drives are locked and asking for a 48 digit...
  4. My secondary Hard disk drives showing locked and asking for Bitlocker key

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Secondary drive not showing up

Secondary drive not showing up: I installed a secondary SSD into my Ideapad gaming 5 laptop and set it up properly but upon restart it would show up about half the time in bios but would not appear in device manager or disk management. is there any way to fix this that doesn't involve me reinstalling...
  6. Freezing disk/whole computer?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freezing disk/whole computer?: Hello, Some time ago I bought a new drive for my computer Samsung SSD 980 500GB, m2 drive. I installed windows 10 on it and since then a specific problem appeared. Once in a while, mainly during gaming, there is a problem of 1-3 second suspension of the entire computer. After...
  7. Freezing disk/whole computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freezing disk/whole computer?: Hello, Some time ago I bought a new drive for my computer Samsung SSD 980 500GB, m2 drive. I installed windows 10 on it and since then a specific problem appeared. Once in a while, mainly during gaming, there is a problem of 1-3 second suspension of the entire computer. After...
  8. Freezing disk/whole computer?

9. Is it okay to fill up my secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it okay to fill up my secondary drive?: Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask a quick question! Is it okay to fill up your D drive? I only use it for downloading games and it's hitting it's limit soon It's an HDD and has 930gb and it only has 39gb after installing quite a bit of games. I don't plan to completely fill...
  10. Ntoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive.

in Windows 10 Support
    Ntoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive.: I'm on Windows 10 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.253) and i'm getting low disk usage on my secondary (D:) and (E:) drives, the disk usage is low but it's very audible as I can hear my Hard Disk Drives, my OS drive is a SSD. The disk usage happens at random and is annoying. No...